• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

So wots your biggest bass sorry minstrel ?

I've only caught three, and the first one was the biggest at just over 2lb. Caught on a home tied sandeel fly from rocks at the side of the outflow of the now demolished coal fired Cockenzie power station. I was getting dogs abuse from some worm drowners fishing from the bridge that crosses over to the sea wall. One smart arse helpfully offered the pearl of wisdom "you'll nae catch any broonies roond here pal", I tried my best to ignore them and concentrate on my casting, it was the first time that I'd tried casting a large 8inch streamer style sandeel on a 10ft 8weight fly rod, timing was a bit of an issue. I'd just totally ballsed up a cast, fly and leader didn't turn over properly and ended up in a heap about 15yds out to howls of laughter from the watching chimps. I stuck my rod under my arm and sparked up a smoke while considering if I was going to sack it and go home when my heap straightened and the rod bucked hard. About 5 mins later I stood proudly holding my prize aloft for the chimps to admire while saluting them with the middle finger of my other hand.
I even managed to conceal the pain I was in. In my excitement to land my first bass I forgot about the spikes and grabbed it, getting two rather ouchy puncture wounds in the palm of my hand that blead lots.

I've only caught three, and the first one was the biggest at just over 2lb. Caught on a home tied sandeel fly from rocks at the side of the outflow of the now demolished coal fired Cockenzie power station. I was getting dogs abuse from some worm drowners fishing from the bridge that crosses over to the sea wall. One smart arse helpfully offered the pearl of wisdom "you'll nae catch any broonies roond here pal", I tried my best to ignore them and concentrate on my casting, it was the first time that I'd tried casting a large 8inch streamer style sandeel on a 10ft 8weight fly rod, timing was a bit of an issue. I'd just totally ballsed up a cast, fly and leader didn't turn over properly and ended up in a heap about 15yds out to howls of laughter from the watching chimps. I stuck my rod under my arm and sparked up a smoke while considering if I was going to sack it and go home when my heap straightened and the rod bucked hard. About 5 mins later I stood proudly holding my prize aloft for the chimps to admire while saluting them with the middle finger of my other hand.
I even managed to conceal the pain I was in. In my excitement to land my first bass I forgot about the spikes and grabbed it, getting two rather ouchy puncture wounds in the palm of my hand that blead lots.
Quality ???

Only ever caught one ..in my hippy trippy days I was hitching round the south coast..with a rod and basic tackle..ended up on a beach not far from the lizard..drank a few litres of scrumpy and waded out barefoot with limpets for bait.
.just as the moon was coming up..holding the rod..fingers on the line..ended up with a schoolie of about a pound.
Had to leave early the next morning as someone reported me to the police for public nudity.. :rolleyes: ? ?

Nothing of much size from boat.
Shore caught, loads up to about 7 from Soton water / Calshot / Lepe area. All on bait. Usually small pieces of Mackerel on a circle hook at the end of a long running ledger. Usually no more than 2 rod lengths out. Stealth approach on dark high tides. Always loose fed small bits of Mackerel too…

I've only had three or four to date. This 2.5 lber walloped me as I was spinning over a couple of reefs. I had a rusty old Dexter wedge on as I was experimenting with the terrain and likely to lose it finding out. Imagine my surprise when this chap decided to intervene!
I was only a few casts in. I love it when I get an unexpected surprise like that.
Screenshot_20210816-112908~2.png

I weighed a bass of 10lb once for another angler , lovely fish and sadly it wasn,t mine but was pleased for the guy. He said to me would you keep it , i said no but its your fish so its your choice, he put it back . ? (y)
As soon as he did, you should have said ‘haha, I lied!’ ???

4.5lb is my best at the moment on either lure or bait, that was 5 years ago. I’ve had several around 3.5 lb over the past few seasons which on a light lure set up give a great account of themselves. My colleagues have had loads in the 5 - 8 lb range from the same venues so I’m expecting to smash my pb any time……….maybe.

I've only had three or four to date. This 2.5 lber walloped me as I was spinning over a couple of reefs. I had a rusty old Dexter wedge on as I was experimenting with the terrain and likely to lose it finding out. Imagine my surprise when this chap decided to intervene!
I was only a few casts in. I love it when I get an unexpected surprise like that.
View attachment 12973
They are still about mate,had two around the corner yesterday, going out later for a dangle.what are you doing on Thursday????

They are still about mate,had two around the corner yesterday, going out later for a dangle.what are you doing on Thursday????
Hello mate, apart from having the grandkids for the week, band practice got changed to Thurs because a couple of members are going to a wedding On our normal Friday.

three more this morning two insize one way under,you should get them off your mark!!!

Wot a waste of crab ???
rather eat them than waste them on smooth dogs and wrasse!!!! Lol the spidercrab population here is going to take a hammering in the morning!!!! I will take my phone out with me and take a few pics,glad we only shot 500metres!

rather eat them than waste them on smooth dogs and wrasse!!!! Lol the spidercrab population here is going to take a hammering in the morning!!!! I will take my phone out with me and take a few pics,glad we only shot 500metres!
Hey Tommo...Be up your way around 4 - 5 ish on the scoot.
Baz will be a bit earlier.
Hoping for some fish pie filler!
Will be spinning, but may bring Tele float rod too.
PS: hey Tank, I've only ever eaten ? from a jar as sarnie paste!

Back