• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Solent bait?

Valleyboy

Reaction score
Anyone used them lately ? Any one got anything to say.? I'm after a freezer full, mainly bluey and squid and a few other odds and sods

Prefer Baits R us myself. ;)

Ian.

?? It was actually the failure of the Japanese saury fishery last year that caused the shortage
Tis crap anyway! Better off with macky,herring or sandeel.

Anyone know how this year's bluey season has been? Will they be back in all the shops...I'm not that bothered from using it as bait as don't often, more concerned about the sudden decline .... think I remember reading it was due to big storms maybe even a tsunami which wrote off the season . Can't remember when that was

Anyone know how this year's bluey season has been? Will they be back in all the shops...I'm not that bothered from using it as bait as don't often, more concerned about the sudden decline .... think I remember reading it was due to big storms maybe even a tsunami which wrote off the season . Can't remember when that was
Haven’t heard yet. I think it was last autumn it failed, might even have been September?

Yes it was storms or something like that?

Hope it's not like the squid shortages a few years ago which more than doubled the price but has never really come back down since.

@Valleyboy the package arrived this afternoon.
The order was placed Thursday afternoon and by their normal terms I’d expected it on Saturday, however their website did say they were busy and there could be a delay with orders.
First impressions are it was well packaged and the freezer blocks were still solid.
However the bluey itself was half frozen at best, albeit very cold.
Currently in the freezer on fast freeze in the hope it’ll solidify quickly.

The other observation is although nice large bluey, I’d usually expect three in a pack, however these are packs of two.
So a bit pricey and I’d need to take two packs for a session.

But they’re rarer than rocking horse shite right now and I need them for autumn bassing, so as long as the quality is good when I use them and they catch fish, I won’t really grumble.

B141D152-A645-44F7-87C7-804E83422171.jpeg

@Valleyboy the package arrived this afternoon.
The order was placed Thursday afternoon and by their normal terms I’d expected it on Saturday, however their website did say they were busy and there could be a delay with orders.
First impressions are it was well packaged and the freezer blocks were still solid.
However the bluey itself was half frozen at best, albeit very cold.
Currently in the freezer on fast freeze in the hope it’ll solidify quickly.

The other observation is although nice large bluey, I’d usually expect three in a pack, however these are packs of two.
So a bit pricey and I’d need to take two packs for a session.

But they’re rarer than rocking horse shite right now and I need them for autumn bassing, so as long as the quality is good when I use them and they catch fish, I won’t really grumble.

View attachment 14993
Cheers for that. That is quite a long turnaround. I think I may go with baits r us. I can li\/e without bluey. I ha\/e got a pack and a half of those bait box ones in the freezer and I'm not sold on their quality. Seem to be lacking a bit of oiliness although they are packaged for pike anglers

Cheers for that. That is quite a long turnaround. I think I may go with baits r us. I can li\/e without bluey. I ha\/e got a pack and a half of those bait box ones in the freezer and I'm not sold on their quality. Seem to be lacking a bit of oiliness although they are packaged for pike anglers
Ah, that’s interesting. Supposedly blast frozen but who knows?
Literally the only place I could find bluey.
I’ll give them a go, see if they catch ??‍♂️

Baits R Us have bluey. ;)

Ian.

Ah, that’s interesting. Supposedly blast frozen but who knows?
Literally the only place I could find bluey.
I’ll give them a go, see if they catch ??‍♂️
Just had a look and they are the same header, bait box, but then premium blast frozen pike baits. I was wondering when I was using them if the oiliness was a seasonal thing and these were caught in the lean months or after spawning

Back