• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Some new floats

joe cod

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hello chaps (y) These are some float methods i have selected for the upcoming season . The larger floats are called premier maggot feeder Hi-Viz floats made by premier floats . To fill them , The cap comes off on the bottom of them .

And the far right float is called a middy shotgun pellet float . With this float you fill the open top feeder cage up with soft pellets and it has a spring along its stem , And when the float hits the water the contents of the feeder springs upwards and out of the feeder .

Some fun methods for the warmer months (y) I have also ordered some spod floats intended for clouds of groundbait hitting the water in the same way these floats do . Over and out ;)

P1020611.JPG

Last edited:
hiya what sort of venue n species u planning on fella ? assuming you mean coarse they're good floats at higher stocked match type venues fishing up in the water usually few feet below float not on the deck ...
but wouldn't use them for wary fish
also rivers as would tangle in flow really ...
sorry waffling on just thought I'd comment lol

hiya what sort of venue n species u planning on fella ? assuming you mean coarse they're good floats at higher stocked match type venues fishing up in the water usually few feet below float not on the deck ...
but wouldn't use them for wary fish
also rivers as would tangle in flow really ...
sorry waffling on just thought I'd comment lol

The spod float and the middy shotgun pellet float are for like you mention will be used for heavily stocked still waters had1lost2 . (y) Places like hampton springs fishery . Ive heard hampton springs has changed ownership over the last few years so im not entirly sure what the rule changes are for there now ? The maggot feeder Hi-viz floats ile probably fish the deepest out of the three . I do like these bagging methods . There so much more fun than farty pole floats in the margins . I done well last year fishing up in the water using big wagglers for the splash they would create . These are much better splash creators . Even without bait in them they will be drawing the fish to the splash noises (y)

sounds spot on joecarp good luck bit of summer fun isn't it

sounds spot on joecarp good luck bit of summer fun isn't it
Yeah you cant go wrong with them . I could cast anywhere and a nice trickle of bait will be constantly falling upon your hookbaits with them . I just hope we can travel to them further places soon had1lost2 (y)

Yeah you cant go wrong with them . I could cast anywhere and a nice trickle of bait will be constantly falling upon your hookbaits with them . I just hope we can travel to them further places soon had1lost2 (y)
Good for pond, still water and lake fishing then.

They might work for the garfish with a cloud of tuna flaked groundbait ?
Is the tuna flakes in spring water, brine or oil? John West comes to mind.

Is the tuna flakes in spring water, brine or oil? John West comes to mind.
I have used tuna flakes in groundbait before in fishing matches and freshwater fish love it beach . I think it was in brine the one i used at the time .

I have used tuna flakes in groundbait before in fishing matches and freshwater fish love it beach . I think it was in brine the one i used at the time .
Nice one Joe (y)

That will scare the mullet away, perfect for a blank.
I could see them scaring mullet if you were casting them, but if you were fishing a harbour or marina where you could lower it to the water the maggot swim feeder one could be very useful.

I could see them scaring mullet if you were casting them, but if you were fishing a harbour or marina where you could lower it to the water the maggot swim feeder one could be very useful.
I have never fished for mullet in a harbour and I hear they are very timid, so I can't really comment on how useful it would be there, but when I have used a spod on freshwater lakes and a bait dropper on rivers, my experience has been that the fish see the noise almost like a dinner bell. I often get a bite almost instantly after using them. I have watched barbel in shallow rivers inspect and shy away from my hook bait but then after I use a noisy splashed bait dropper to deposit freebies around my hook bait the fish have then rushed in and just grabbed everything, including the previously ignored hook bait. The same must happen with a spod over a hook bait, because it very often induces a bite.

Concrete caught a flatty on maggot a couple of days ago while beachcasting .

Have a look at this chaps . This is the middy shotgun pellet float , If you watch for just 5 seconds between 1 minute 25 seconds and 1min 30 seconds . Thats all you will need to know if they work well .

Sea fishing wise i could see some usefullnesses using the spod float in particular with minced chum for the wrasse and pollock / pouting ect of the rocks and harbours .

U guys appear to have lost the plot.We're in the Freshwater Section of the Forum.(y)?
Maybe td but as you should know, mullet do go up river to fresh water. ;) or do you just do still water fishing. I have caught barbel, trout, Chubb, perch & salmon in fresh water near the end of tidal stretch.

Last edited:
Maybe td but as you should know, mullet do go up river to fresh water. ;) or do you just do still water fishing.
No,do both disciplines,just making you aware that we're in the Freshwater Section and joe carp was referring to his Freshwater floats that he has purchased.Nudge nudge;);)(y)Agree they could be used for groundbaiting for Mullet.(y)

No,do both disciplines,just making you aware that we're in the Freshwater Section and joe carp was referring to his Freshwater floats that he has purchased.Nudge nudge;);)(y)Agree they could be used for groundbaiting for Mullet.(y)
I usually mix up some loaves of bread in a bucket and use the water I am fishing in. squeeze excess water out into cricket size balls and use as ground bait to get the mullet on the feed.

Back