• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The BF knot!

Trampster

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I do love a bit of Billy Fishing on Youtube! He's mainly fishing in Norway and has put up a great video showing his spinning gear & tactics, but it also includes a tutorial on his own knot he has developed & called the BF knot! Especially interesting for use with heavy Braid. Scroll to about 8.45 if you just want to watch the info on tying the knot. "Fish on!"

Interesting knot.
When he said he'd developed a new knot my initial, cynical, thought was, yes like someone invented a new colour. Never seen this before though.
I think that "four turns up and four turns back down" might be the same as eight turns though, especially as you adjust the turns as they tighten.
I'm going to try it with mono just to see what happens.

Thanks 4 sharing
Billy has got some excellent stuff on his channel, and the way he puts it across is always a good Craic! He's recently done a good video on making your own stainless steel link clips.

I'm OK for links my mate invented the Gemini clips
Tried to find that clip on you tube but failed Ave u a link

I'm OK for links my mate invented the Gemini clips
Tried to find that clip on you tube but failed Ave u a link
No problem! Here you go:

As for the knot I'm a FG man thru and thru
My 1st attempt at the BF knot it pulled thru after that no problem I used 22ib braid 20ib mono
It did snap once but not at the knot but 4" up from knot on main line(braid) it is a nice small knot

Grannie knots most of the time for me :ROFLMAO:

Just done some tests on fg bf and the improved allbright
22ib braid 20ib mono leader
Worse all bright broke at knot at 10ib
Fg and Bf knot both snapped at 15ib

Just done some tests on fg bf and the improved allbright
22ib braid 20ib mono leader
Worse all bright broke at knot at 10ib
Fg and Bf knot both snapped at 15ib

Are you able to do the same test using an eight turn grinner behind an overhand knot on the leader?

I use grinner knots all the time and am convinced they are 80/90% most of the time

It would be very informative to do the same test and compare.

Well bearing in mind this a rough guide using a spring balance
So 70ib satsuma 20ib diawa sensor
The half hitch grinner snaped at the knot at 10ib

The improved all bright
Again snapped at the knot but slightly more resistant at 15ib

I now tie two uni knots , 3 on the braid leader , 6 on the main line. Seems a strong small knot to me but ive not done a test with scales. I dont think i would like a knot thats to strong that when caught up the main line would break first well down the reel.

The improved all bright
Forgot to say this was with mono

The improved all bright
I thought satsuma's were fruit ;)

Yeah I noticed that
Just done a test on the 20ib to 20ib line with grinner knot that snapped at 10ib

Oh dear, looks like I'm way out with my estimate.
I've always had a lot of confidence with the grinner/overhand. I usually use 15lb / 80lb for most of my beach fishing upping it to 30lb mainline if fishing rougher ground.

Apart from the occasional crack-off when casting most of the time I only have to test my knots when pulling for a break.
100% knot strength won't help if you're stuck in a snag that you won't get out of.
Interesting result though.

Hi Ian
I don't know whether being snagged at say 100yrds out will be more or less strain on the knot when trying to break free
I just tested them over 2ft length

Hi Ian
I don't know whether being snagged at say 100yrds out will be more or less strain on the knot when trying to break free
I just tested them over 2ft length
You need a bigger garden ;)

I think there are too many variables to accurately predict what will happen when putting strain on a knot.
What happens when a fish takes you in and out of a snag then you pick up a big lump of weed and the angle changes from 20⁰ to 45⁰.
Keeps it interesting though.
I've just put a new shockleader on one of my reels using a combination of 30lb and 77lb and pulled the overhand knot in the 77lb really tight using pliers and when I tested it the knot rolled almost all the way to the end of the tag. I could have pulled the 5 turn grinner right off the shockleader.
Never had that happen before.

Back