• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The BF knot!

OK later I will use 70ib leader to 20ib mainline
I use to use that knot for tournament casting

The FG should be close to 90% if tied properly, which often they aren't !

If you want an exceptionally strong repeatable knot then use the PR Bobbin knot.
Make sure you use a decent Bobbin tool, I use the Tubertini and Shimano, some of the Chinese copies are not so good.

I think there are too many variables to accurately predict what will happen when putting strain on a knot.
What happens when a fish takes you in and out of a snag then you pick up a big lump of weed and the angle changes from 20⁰ to 45⁰.
Keeps it interesting though.
I've just put a new shockleader on one of my reels using a combination of 30lb and 77lb and pulled the overhand knot in the 77lb really tight using pliers and when I tested it the knot rolled almost all the way to the end of the tag. I could have pulled the 5 turn grinner right off the shockleader.
Never had that happen before.
A drop of superglue on the knot helps.

Superglue can help and as long as it's not too much I don't think it can do much harm either.
The fact that the knot slipped up the line might be because it's a cheaper thicker line combined with a thicker mainline. A combination of lines I've probably never used before.
The overhand and grinner were tightened up a bit at a time until they appeared to be about right then one last tighten with pliers on the shockleader knot then a final pull to test, and......slip.
I finally got it to hold but I don't trust it so I'll change it for my usual and see what happens.

When I tied the half hitch I tightened it with pliers on the main line then moisten the main line and pull thru the half hitch bout 8" then tie uni and bed that down to the half hitch

I like to get it all in about the right place before final tightening so there's not too much friction added to the process.

Yes but one final tightened with the pliers on the half hitch will cut into the main line

I use a grinner knot for mono when sea fishing a bit of saliva when tightening, never had to use any type of glue. However when using fly lines and braided leader loops I use superglue.

Last edited:
Uni grinner knot both the same
Ah but I smile when doing a grinner knot, I finished Uni years ago - I am just being pretentious Rock ;)o_O

Right just had a month in Lanzarote and the BF knot lost me a decent fish most probably blue fish double figure
I was gutted not only losing the fish but my favourite cheap Ali lure
Went back to the Fg and landed a 85cm 8ib baracuda
Bf no more
20220327_073420.jpg

Back