• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tips or help for landing a big fish-

Welcome J, I had a similar problem only trouble is mine was weed.
Thank you - my m8 caught a tump of weed, thst was growjng and attached to a large pebble- he reeled in and we swore it was a bug un’ oit came a 4lb rock, about 20 small crabs, the weed and a small fish- didnt know what fish it was- it looked like a bass withiut the scales- goldish tint to it.

I'm guessing you were casting near snags, and the fish, guessing eels were running straight into them!

You were then getting bitten off.

I've never had a fish that I couldn't move with a bit of steady pressure.
60lb snoods & shock leader should help, but if in snags you at least need a method to lose the lead.

As said above if fish do find an odd snag, leaving them a while with the drag loose may often see them swim free. ?
Yea thats possible- i did dislodge it a little- when I pulled to the side it moved a bit, but couldnt drag it to me- shockleader and strong snoods will help giving me confidence. I was on budget gear all round and didnt have confidence to bully it in. Have bought the shockleader now- thank you

Hi Jamie! As Si said, you could have been bitten off by an Eel. Also Jonh & Si's advice about giving a Fish in a snag a bit of slack line is sound advice.
We also need to know what BS line, shockleader & snoods you were using. Too weak a set-up could be contributing to the problem.
I agree totally- ill take the tips anout gettkmg snagged - (slack/patience) i wasnt using shockleader (got some now will tie it on this week) snoods / rig was shop bought 2 hook flappers. As for breaking strain im not sure- but it was a cheap reel from a cheap fishing store pre loaded. Prob 15lb. All this cheap starter stuff gotta change. Ha. Thank you. I caught a conger on this mark a few weeks ago so there are eels there.

It does sound as if your snoods are a bit light.
I don’t fish with less than 40lb on most beaches for larger fish and as Si says, 60 is a safer bet.
Wow- that high? Ok great advice. Ill scale up. The snoods were light, i used mainline mono, from a cheap reel. I Will take you advice dude thanks

Another possibility is it may have been a bream biting and then you are stuck on rocks and you keep feeling the line pulling from the fish hooked as the line is tight to the bottom and fish on the trace.
Yeah it could be, though there no rocks where i was fishing. It poss could have foind the rope tying the bouy.. i thoight it was far enough from it though.. but maybe not. :) thank you

Not familiar with ground at mumbles, but could it have been a ray?

I foul hooked one once on a sandy beach where i knew no rocks, when i first tried to pull it in it would not move, i thought i had hooked some rope in the sand or similar, so i walked about 10 yds further down beach and then started to wind again and still stuck fast but then noticed a slight tug, that was odd i thought so i moved back and full strain on rod and it eventually released itself from the sand.
Ah this soinds familiar- though it was solid i did get some movement from it- i was afraid to pull hard, down to low confidence in my set up. Ill just have to learn to set up so I am fully confident in a full tug. Thanks dude

I would have given some slack line,that usually moves them if it was a ray, it could have been as simple as the breaking strain of your line was to low ,I use 25 lb with a 60lb leader, my traces are made of 18-20lb line (I make my own) hope this helps,tight lines for next time you go ???
Yes it helps. A gew guys here say the same and I agree.. my snoods were not up to the job, coiple that with a little more experience- ie: slacken, wait, play a bit better and its on the bank. Cheers dude

My advice is get the power down and keep the power down on whatevers on the other end...... use decent hooks and give no quarter just crank. When the line is bow tight and direct to the fish you can finesse it a bit and enjoy the fight. But get the bloody thing moving straight off.......lift crank lift crank..... and dont use gay hooks in tricky ground or light hooklengths.
Great advice- i was in the mind of enjoy the fight, which was why i played at it and played contemplatively. Next time - kift crank lift crank FIRST- thank you

I used to use 15lb amnesia, but found it spun up in the tide too much, now I don’t use anything less than 30lb amnesia and it’s never let me down. As I see it, sea fish aren’t finicky like a wise old carp, they aren’t bothered by a length of 30lb amnesia, so why use anything lighter? Just my thoughts anyway.
Is that the snoods or mainline? Thanks for the tip, as an ex carp angler I fall on those habbits of thought. Ill fuss less next time round thank you

I just use 20lb straight through, main line and traces, etc as ground where i fish is sand.
I only fish beaches atm and avoid rocky areas as the knabb is notorious for crabs near the rocks. Strip strip strip.. and bait is too pricey to feed the crabs. Ok 20lb straight through. Nice

Just read your post again,what knot are you using? it could be a simple thing as your knots slipping mate
5 1/2 turn blood knot- the knot and a short length of line left on the rig. Dont think it was that- the line was broken under the knot. (Glad in a way, id have hated to see that swivel was there and no line at all) i would have poked myself in the eye! Ha

thank you all for contributing i do appreciate it. So the verdict appears to be: *Ray, foul hooked ray, eel,
*fish smarter (relax the line when locked up) *scale up my mailine/snoods.

Will do them all- ;)

Nice one guys

I caught a stick fish, not much of a fight though ;) exits stage left.

Is that the snoods or mainline? Thanks for the tip, as an ex carp angler I fall on those habbits of thought. Ill fuss less next time round thank you
I use 18lb Diawa sensor mainline, Diawa tapered shock leader, 30lb snoods/hooklinks and 60lb rig bodies allowing leads up to 6oz to be used mate. The 15lb amnesia went back into the carp gear for hinged stiff links! I’m a long time carp angler, that way of thinking can be an advantage, rig mechanics, concealment and finesse can be good attributes for a sea rig, (especially when hunting bass) but the sea rigs are in a much more harsher environment than a carp rig, also carp are exposed to rigs virtually every day, your average sea fish doesn’t get that exposure.

I also use Diawa Sensor 18lb for fishing off the beach with a 60lb shock leader, 15lb trace to the hook.

Never heared of one lol- i spoke to a few mates of mine who fish, was anle to explain more- they think it was a smoothies or bull huss (dont know what a bull hiss is either) :)
Bull huss is a member of the Shark family, a bit like a Dogfish's bigger brother!

A smooth hound and spur dog are members of the shark family, I have caught both types including dogfish off of Sussex coast.

Bull huss is a member of the Shark family, a bit like a Dogfish's bigger brother!

A smooth hound and spur dog are members of the shark family, I have caught both types including dogfish off of Sussex coast.
Would those hold his line tight and he would not be able pull in?
I have caught an 8lb bull huss and came in pretty easy, you knew there was something on the end but well able to reel in.

Back