• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice To strike or not to strike.

spiderfur

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I usually fish at night and use a gripper.
I have always thought that by using a gripper and your hooks are sharp a fish will hook itself with no real need to strike. Also I wondered if by striking at a knock you pull the bait away from the fish or spook it.
Would be grateful for any advice on this. Cheers

If fishing mono I strike but fish braid mainly now and just lift the rod, not sure if I'm doing the right thing but seems to work ?

Depends on the fish.
Ray or flatfish never ever strike, just leave it to hook itself.

Hounds, bass, cod, eels, whiting, pouting, dogs, bream, I’d be striking on a decent take.

That’s with mono, don’t use braid off the shore, don’t like the stuff for shore fishing

Brilliant stuff . you don,t know what your missingo_O (y)
I wouldn’t like to use it with multis lol.

I have used it a bit with FS but I hate the ‘nodding dog’ syndrome where every bit of wave makes the rod tips bounce away.

Tried it in surf once and it drove me spare.

Plus I’ve spent a lot of years learning what bites look like on mono ?

I strike only if it's a big'ish bite ,if a gentle one I leave it for a couple of mins,then wind in a bit ,then leave it again for another couple of mins ,then reel in for a bait change,I've found that if I move the bait slightly after a gentle bite they tend to grab it ,hope this helps mate

Fishing with grippers, I tend to leave an initial rattle to develop for a minute or two before lifting into it and reeling in. If I get a slack liner, I walk backwards while reeling in until I feel the weight of the fish then lift into it to set the hook. I use mono off the shore of 15lb to tapered shock leaders, usually 5oz leads unless situations dictate otherwise.

My rods just bounce in the surf..up.. down etc..get slack liners but it's just the leads rolling in the waves... never actually seen a bite..the flatties because that's all I ever get.. just sit there.
If the OP is using gripper leads, they shouldn't be rolling around in the waves. Last couple of times I've been out, there has been so much surf, the rod tips are continually moving quite violently, so I usually just let things develop until the rod goes right over or the line goes slack. Last week when out with John, the rod had been moving a lot for quite a while, and suddenly the Rod & Tripod all went over, and I thought I'd possibly hooked something big, but no - just a huge clump of bleddy weed. Twas time to go home.

Your using the wrong rod then carbon tiped rods can have that effect with braid.?
I’m using the right rod for mono ??‍♂️

Tbh I’ve got loads of beachcasters and I couldn’t tell you which have glass tips and which don’t .

In any case, I don’t want braid anywhere near my multis except on the boat

Back