• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice To strike or not to strike.

I always use mono with my multi reels, depending on the tide run I either use gripper or torpedo leads. If fishing off a pier/marina I tend to tighten up the line and just use the ratchet and leave the reels on free spool with the drag set, so any sizeable fish (cod dogs hounds bass) etc run and the ratchet wakes me up. For plaice and soles I just watch the rod tips for a teltale sign of bites, caught loads of b crabs as well.

I’m using the right rod for mono ??‍♂️

Tbh I’ve got loads of beachcasters and I couldn’t tell you which have glass tips and which don’t .

In any case, I don’t want braid anywhere near my multis except on the boat
Get one of these

Mr Fish WILL MAKE A ANGLER OUT OF YOU040.jpg

Get one of these

Mr Fish WILL MAKE A ANGLER OUT OF YOUView attachment 18086

A sand spike or a FS?

On one of my beaches you’d only be stood there like that for 20 minutes if you’re lucky, we have rather a lot of tide.

I like my multis and imo they help to make me a better angler and are more versatile, but each to their own ??‍♂️

I fish braid main line and mono leader, up and over/pulley/2 hook clipped rigs. I don't usually strike, I will normally just keep the line tight and start reeling in, this works alot of the time, but I don't fish for mini species or flat fish very often so most of the fish I'm after will hook themselves anyway.
The one time I will strike is when wrasse fishing, those little buggers will strip a hook bare in no time at all, I normally let them have one nip at it then strike on the second attempt (I'm never on the ball enough to strike at the first nip, unless it's crystal clear water and I can see the fish). In my limited experience, you tend not to get a third attempt as that second go is when they'll take the bait off the hook.

Horses for courses.
So many things to factor in.
Rigs, hooks, line, tide, species. There is no right or wrong answer.
If you get it right you catch, if not either no fish about or crabs have nicked the bait again. Not caught any horses though. ?

If the OP is using gripper leads, they shouldn't be rolling around in the waves. Last couple of times I've been out, there has been so much surf, the rod tips are continually moving quite violently, so I usually just let things develop until the rod goes right over or the line goes slack. Last week when out with John, the rod had been moving a lot for quite a while, and suddenly the Rod & Tripod all went over, and I thought I'd possibly hooked something big, but no - just a huge clump of bleddy weed. Twas time to go home.
Thats one of the reasons i use braid now, less pull on the line by waves or current, no need for tapered leaders as 50lb braid as thin as 18lb mono, casts like a dream and if you need to pull for a break, you only have to take a couple of steps backwards, not 50yards up the beach, comes in handy if your on a tight mark and finally you tend to bend the hook not break at your leader knot, so quick hook change and off you go (y)

Thats one of the reasons i use braid now, less pull on the line by waves or current, no need for tapered leaders as 50lb braid as thin as 18lb mono, casts like a dream and if you need to pull for a break, you only have to take a couple of steps backwards, not 50yards up the beach, comes in handy if your on a tight mark and finally you tend to bend the hook not break at your leader knot, so quick hook change and off you go (y)
Ah but on what reel fs or multi one wonders ?

Fixed spools
Agree I heard that it works on Fixed Spools, I wouldn't risk it on my multies. I use mono on my small fs reels when after mullet or my fly rod.

Agree I heard that it works on Fixed Spools, I wouldn't risk it on my multies. I use mono on my small fs reels when after mullet or my fly rod.
My friend who converted me fishes braid on his multis I fish with surf blasters ?

Tried Braid on a F/S for beach casting - endless wind knots. Won't bother again. Stripped the Braid off and put it on a small spinning reel where it seems fine.

Tried Braid on a F/S for beach casting - endless wind knots. Won't bother again. Stripped the Braid off and put it on a small spinning reel where it seems fine.
What size braid and the make has alot to do with its performance, I've tried all sorts and some will give give you wind knots just looking at them, I use power pro or whiplash for heavier stuff and spider wire on my lighter lure rods ?

What size braid and the make has alot to do with its performance, I've tried all sorts and some will give give you wind knots just looking at them, I use power pro or whiplash for heavier stuff and spider wire on my lighter lure rods ?
It was KastKing 4 strand, 25Lb I think. Someone recommended it to me a while ago. It's now fine on a smaller lure reel.

It was KastKing 4 strand, 25Lb I think. Someone recommended it to me a while ago. It's now fine on a smaller lure reel.
Yea you would struggle with 25lb braid beach casting too slim. I use penn surfblasters and all penn reels are terrible with braid, just have to make sure you under fill them, might lose 5 or 10 yrds on the cast but I've never needed to sling them to oblivion so doesnt matter too much. Dont over fill them and give the braid a soak with water before the session and you shouldn't get any wind knots, same on the lure rod, I use penn slammer but needs to be under filled and works perfect ?

Yea you would struggle with 25lb braid beach casting too slim. I use penn surfblasters and all penn reels are terrible with braid, just have to make sure you under fill them, might lose 5 or 10 yrds on the cast but I've never needed to sling them to oblivion so doesnt matter too much. Dont over fill them and give the braid a soak with water before the session and you shouldn't get any wind knots, same on the lure rod, I use penn slammer but needs to be under filled and works perfect ?
It was actually on the Vertix Dragon 8000 reel I bought to use with my Vertix conti rod. Reel was crap anyway - it wasn't cheap and the bail arm roller clapped out after about 8 trips out. ??

Back