• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice To strike or not to strike.

IVE got some Spiderwire in 64lb .35mm for some of the heaver ground we come across up here. Now i dont cast with out a braid leader of a 100lb but with nobody about i thought i would back cast it and give it some welly. Didnt crack off and went a hell of a long way. I,m not recommending any body else to try casting such a low diameter line with out a heavy leader but it just shows what can be done with modern low diameter braids .

Last edited:
IVE got some Sipderwire in 64lb .35mm for some of the heaver ground we come across up here. Now i dont cast with out a braid leader of a 100lb but with nobody about i thought i would back cast it and give it some welly. Didnt crack off and went a hell of a long way. I,m not recommending any body else to try casting such a low diameter line with out a heavy leader but it just shows what can be done with modern low diameter braids .
Some of these typos and auto corrects amuse me more than they should ( and I'm guilty of them too).

Sipderwire

You're not supposed to bleddy drink it! ???

I strike only if it's a big'ish bite ,if a gentle one I leave it for a couple of mins,then wind in a bit ,then leave it again for another couple of mins ,then reel in for a bait change,I've found that if I move the bait slightly after a gentle bite they tend to grab it ,hope this helps mate
cheers ?

Both I guess, as a soggy lump hanging off the hook won’t please me and won’t help the fish swallow it either
But it doesn’t have to be a saggy lump of worm does it? ? horses for ..,
I only use circles for close in bass fishing, and with a little ground baiting I’ve done ok with little 1 inch pieces of macky, they fish well on a circle

But it doesn’t have to be a saggy lump of worm does it? ? horses for ..,
I only use circles for close in bass fishing, and with a little ground baiting I’ve done ok with little 1 inch pieces of macky, they fish well on a circle
This is what I use for close in bass fishing ?

EF19AB74-EF4E-4420-9449-1154C3BB7091.jpeg

How did this become a Mono /Braid war??? ..... It will be the Mangle /Multi (proper man's reel) next ????

Anyway if my bites DONT strip line off the reel.... I wind like hell to tighten up slack and then lift the rod.

The bigger the hooks the more vigor I prob put in to this lifting.... Range would also increase this. I only really use braid on lure rods, or occasionally super rough ones... Then would lift gently.

However........ Never strike squid!..... Just slowly wind in ?

How did this become a Mono /Braid war??? ..... It will be the Mangle /Multi (proper man's reel) next ????

Anyway if my bites DONT strip line off the reel.... I wind like hell to tighten up slack and then lift the rod.

The bigger the hooks the more vigor I prob put in to this lifting.... Range would also increase this. I only really use braid on lure rods, or occasionally super rough ones... Then would lift gently.

However........ Never strike squid!..... Just slowly wind in ?
Pretty much what I do Si. Violent bites get a whack but it’s more a forceful lift into the fish with most bites, rather than a crazy whack.

Back