• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tronix Pro 6500 Mag

Somebody on the Dark side has got some Avet multipliers up for grabs. I don't use multipliers, and hadn't heard of them before.

1708335992538.jpeg

He's asking £155 for the magged one - £282 new at Rokmax.

Somebody on the Dark side has got some Avet multipliers up for grabs. I don't use multipliers, and hadn't heard of them before.

View attachment 59434

He's asking £155 for the magged one - £282 new at Rokmax.

I remember when they were all the rage, still got a pair of magged ones collecting dust.
For the money, the original penn mag 525 or fathom 15 is a far better reel.

I remember when they were all the rage, still got a pair of magged ones collecting dust.
For the money, the original penn mag 525 or fathom 15 is a far better reel.
I used an Avet for boat fishing for three trips, wasn't a massive fan to be honest, it just didn't feel smooth to me and got shut of them. Cascars had issues with his as well.

I quite liked the Accurates I had, but they were way over the top for British fishing. Penn Fathoms have been my go to reel for boat fishing even since they came out, can't really fault them at all.

Anyone tried the newer Banzai ? monomag, one piece frame, slower retrieve which interests me as I would think it would make the retrieve more powerful, got plenty Abu's, Diawa's and especially Akios multi's, just interested in these because of the gear ratio - 4.4:1
Over double the price of the version I brought. Not worth it imo.

Too fragile you mean. 🤣🤣
The ST's are not that fragile to be honest, like I said, they are for clean ground, and they cast like a dream once set up. If I want more winching power I use my CS's or Fathom II's.

Ian.

The ST's are not that fragile to be honest, like I said, they are for clean ground, and they cast like a dream once set up. If I want more winching power I use my CS's or Fathom II's.

Ian.
I broke two fathoms. 🤣

My original tournamags are still going strong with almost zero maintenance.

They are used on the beach and boat and just keep going. I’ve got another four in mint condition in readiness for when my current ones finally die. I had the boss issue with my blue mag and I only bought that because they discontinued the red turbos, which in my opinion was the best 7HT model made, but I wore mine out and couldn’t get anymore. Secondhand ones make stupid money.

I broke two fathoms. 🤣

My original tournamags are still going strong with almost zero maintenance.

They are used on the beach and boat and just keep going. I’ve got another four in mint condition in readiness for when my current ones finally die. I had the boss issue with my blue mag and I only bought that because they discontinued the red turbos, which in my opinion was the best 7HT model made, but I wore mine out and couldn’t get anymore. Secondhand ones make stupid money.
£395 for a second hand Turbo, having a feckin Giraffe on fleabay.. :(

Ian.

Still use my 65’s mag elite that are years old retrieve is slower but love casting with them had em mono magged and bearings but never fail me on Chesil or clean ground beaches. Got blue 7hts as a back up. Rough weather ground I got my penn cs and my saltist 20s which are magged they are just bang on and a cracking bit of kit.
Got a pair of original fathoms that are a project reel just deciding what ..

I know someone with quite a few of them. He’ll never use them and he’ll just keep them in a cupboard.
Really cant see the point in keeping them in a cupboard, if they are not going to be used, he could let you have them ;) .. Or is he hoping they appreciate in value, but that could backfire.

Ian.

Too fragile you mean. 🤣🤣
Lever drags rely on the spindle through the centre of everything to remain straight and not flex under tension ... very, very few of the smaller examples have spindles that are really up to the job to be honest and Avets are definitely not the tanks they are reputed to be.

In fairness most have their drag over-gunned above what they are rated for and they tend to get used a lot off the shore in the UK which is never what they were designed for. They are great to fish off the boat with for free-swimming stuff that needs to be allowed to run .... bullying stuff out of the rough and the kelp with the drag wound up they are not so good at.

Lever drags rely on the spindle through the centre of everything to remain straight and not flex under tension ... very, very few of the smaller examples have spindles that are really up to the job to be honest and Avets are definitely not the tanks they are reputed to be.

In fairness most have their drag over-gunned above what they are rated for and they tend to get used a lot off the shore in the UK which is never what they were designed for. They are great to fish off the boat with for free-swimming stuff that needs to be allowed to run .... bullying stuff out of the rough and the kelp with the drag wound up they are not so good at.
So what do you recommend for shore fishing with a multi?

Back