• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Weaver, nobody fishes for weaver!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Keeping an eye on local reports and see that one of the local species hunters, Richard Widdowson, had 5 weever in a session lately. Decided last night that they were to be my target this morning. Filled up the van in a pretty empty garage, which was nice, and headed down to Southbourne.

Set up a 9ft ugly stick spinnig rod as usual with a set of Sabikis baited with maddies. 1 oz weight and out it goes. The idea is a slow retrieve, holding the rod low. First cast was good for feeling the bottom, mainly sand with gravel patches by the feel of the weight.

A guy comes over and asks if l am familiar with the beach and what is around and best bait to use. I give him all the usual sand eels for small eyes and turbot, worms for plaice and sole etc.

He asks what I am targetting. Weever l say. Nobody fishes for weevers he says. I tell him l am species hunting and l need one for my hunt. Whilst talking to him l am slowly retrieving and stopping as we chat. Got to around 10 or 12 foot from the shore and l can feel a tapping. Can it be? He has spotted the bite and tells me what l already know. I wonder, could it be, on just the second cast. I know it's a little fish, but what sort of litt - it's a weever! Bloody hell, he says that's impressive fishing and calls his daughter over to see it. I was absolutely made up, target achieved, second cast.

20211016_111155.jpg

Both sides of me people are swimming and paddling. If only they knew! For those that don't know, the weever is the only native venomous fish to our waters. It buries itself in the sand, to wait for passing food to pounce on, hence the position of its mouth and eyes. The three spines and black fin are how the venom gets into you when you stand on one!

I need to get more rays and some of the bigger species now, but this species hunting lark can get you an awful lot of satisfaction from catching a small fish.

Cod, rays (had small eye) and mullet needed now!

Carefully mate, carefully. Just held it in a cloth except for pictures. I did hold it in my hand, but it flipped so l did not try again!
The gill covers have spikes and venom glands, it's not just the obvious danger of the dorsalweever.jpg

edited to include pic.

Last edited:
Well done mate cracking catch ?

I'm heading over tomorrow, hopefully find a few fish.... Maybe a weaver ?.... Not sure I'll have time though with the bad weather coming in ☹️

Carefully mate, carefully. Just held it in a cloth except for pictures. I did hold it in my hand, but it flipped so l did not try again!
i have cought them before, i used 2 forceps one to hold it in the lip and the other to unhook it , but to be honest these days i just snip the line off close as possible to it mouth

Keeping an eye on local reports and see that one of the local species hunters, Richard Widdowson, had 5 weever in a session lately. Decided last night that they were to be my target this morning. Filled up the van in a pretty empty garage, which was nice, and headed down to Southbourne.

Set up a 9ft ugly stick spinnig rod as usual with a set of Sabikis baited with maddies. 1 oz weight and out it goes. The idea is a slow retrieve, holding the rod low. First cast was good for feeling the bottom, mainly sand with gravel patches by the feel of the weight.

A guy comes over and asks if l am familiar with the beach and what is around and best bait to use. I give him all the usual sand eels for small eyes and turbot, worms for plaice and sole etc.

He asks what I am targetting. Weever l say. Nobody fishes for weevers he says. I tell him l am species hunting and l need one for my hunt. Whilst talking to him l am slowly retrieving and stopping as we chat. Got to around 10 or 12 foot from the shore and l can feel a tapping. Can it be? He has spotted the bite and tells me what l already know. I wonder, could it be, on just the second cast. I know it's a little fish, but what sort of litt - it's a weever! Bloody hell, he says that's impressive fishing and calls his daughter over to see it. I was absolutely made up, target achieved, second cast.

View attachment 16517

Both sides of me people are swimming and paddling. If only they knew! For those that don't know, the weever is the only native venomous fish to our waters. It buries itself in the sand, to wait for passing food to pounce on, hence the position of its mouth and eyes. The three spines and black fin are how the venom gets into you when you stand on one!

I need to get more rays and some of the bigger species now, but this species hunting lark can get you an awful lot of satisfaction from catching a small fish.

Cod, rays (had small eye) and mullet needed now!
Well done on acheiving your target. Please guys be aware that if you get a spike from this little fish the conseqenses can be quite scarey.
I fished at Swanage with my son many years ago on Boxing day to try out a new rod that he had for xmas, first fish was a weaver and big daddy thought no problem take it off the hook, big mistake as it got me and within 5 minutes i could feel the poison going up my arm.
Had to pack up as pain was not good but not terrible, so we got back to the car thought ok but went to put it in gear and found my arm had gone numbe,scary fortunatly it did not last long but but it sure as hell scared me.
I could feel that spike for about a week. Perhaps i had a particlar alergic reaction to the venon i will never know but be careful out there this little fish can pack a big punch.
tight line
Espadon
PS I regularly catch them on the shambles bank.

Back