• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Weight for it weight away.

Silverstone

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have been trying weights above what I used to use like 5oz.

Last edited:
Most of my fishing is with 7oz + bait 😖
Send them well past 100m as long as it's not blowing a gale in my face.
That's a bit over the top for the Canals in Halifax isn't it... 🤣

Ian.

Maybe I will have to spend some time on the beach with assorted weights .
Have a go with an off the ground cast if the terrain allows. Not a huge amount of effort needed to get a good bend in the rod and send the rig flying. Plenty of demo videos on YouTube to get an idea of the basics.

I have been trying weights above what I used to use like 5oz. And 6oz. But find them hard to cast and even more so to get any distance.

so back to a comfortable weight of 4 ozs. Does anyone else find some weights difficult to use or it it an age thing with me .. AGAIN ! :unsure:
anyone use less weights than 4 ozs for surf fishing
On a flat calm day I use a 2oz for flatties and let it roll around in the current (not bun) over sand. If it has a swell on the water I use a 3oz breakaway, not in a rough sea then up the weight accordingly.(y)

I used to use the same 2ozs in Langston harbour right on the mud flats and gully’s .

3 ozs at Eastney beach in Portsmouth.

4 ozs here in the north east. Never tried anything heavier till last week
If using over 4ozs then slow down the cast and don't try to hit the horizon.

I have been trying weights above what I used to use like 5oz. And 6oz. But find them hard to cast and even more so to get any distance.

so back to a comfortable weight of 4 ozs. Does anyone else find some weights difficult to use or it it an age thing with me .. AGAIN ! :unsure:
anyone use less weights than 4 ozs for surf fishing

Very often it depends on the rod action. A good number of rods have a 'sweet spot' with a certain amount of weight.

I always use 4oz grip leads with my surf rods. Although they are rated for 200gms max, I've never felt the need to use any heavier. 4ozs seems like the sweet spot.

The key to casting is lessons.
If you really want to cast properly, lessons are the only option.

If I had a pound for every time I've heard "I can cast 100yards easily" only to see at best, 60yards, I'd be able to treat myself to yet another zziplex!

I'm in no way suggesting distance is the be all and end all, but the ability to do it is a great weapon to have in your armoury.

Rods, reels and leads won't buy you distance, lessons will.

I only speak from experience.

I rarely use anything above a 5oz I used to practice casting with a 5oz ,till I got used to it.

Back