• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What are these

Just to refresh:
Rough ground:
Break out leads, they tend not to roll into cracks and holes
Wire hooks, eg mustad Viking will straighten out under pressure when you get them snagged
Pulley style rigs, as you wind in (with a fish on) will keep the lead above the snags.
Keep rigs simple, you will loose some.
Use rotten bottoms, then hopefully you only loose the lead not the rig.
If possible, use a heavy main line (over 25Lbs) to help pull out of snags and to cope with the abrasive nature of the ground you are fishing.
When winding in, get the lead up and moving as quickly as possible. Don't dilly dally around.
If you have to pull for a break, wrap the line around a piece of wood or similar, don't use the rod, you will probably snap it.

If you have to pull for a break, wrap the line around a piece of wood or similar, don't use the rod, you will probably snap it.
Wise advice. In a moment of madness (I get lots of them!) I bought a wooden Fisherman's Priest for bonking Mackerel. It came in handy on Monday for just the purpose Shirls mentions. ??

Never thought of that.. I just point the rod at the snag turn my back to the water.and walk
OK in desperate times, but with a Multiplier the strain may embed the line deeply on the spool, and with a long cast Fixed spool, it could even bend the shaft.

OK in desperate times, but with a Multiplier the strain may embed the line deeply on the spool, and with a long cast Fixed spool, it could even bend the shaft.
Funny thing that..one of my Shimano reels is indeed knackered.. happened last year.... that could well be what happened..

Can I make a rotten bottom lead link with one of those pulley rigs or not..?
Yes mate generally I use an upside down Gemini clip
Just to refresh:
Rough ground:
Break out leads, they tend not to roll into cracks and holes
Wire hooks, eg mustad Viking will straighten out under pressure when you get them snagged
Pulley style rigs, as you wind in (with a fish on) will keep the lead above the snags.
Keep rigs simple, you will loose some.
Use rotten bottoms, then hopefully you only loose the lead not the rig.
If possible, use a heavy main line (over 25Lbs) to help pull out of snags and to cope with the abrasive nature of the ground you are fishing.
When winding in, get the lead up and moving as quickly as possible. Don't dilly dally around.
perfect advice on rough ground fishing well done shirl ???

When you say Gemini clip Tats, I presume you mean these bait clips?

1649326279906.png

I picked up a bag of 50 Large a few weeks ago for £3.29 which I thought was fair value. 6.6p each!

Yep that’s what I do but couldn’t think how to describe it yesterday.
I actually use two, so I can quickly adapt a normal pulley to a rotten bottom

Likewise... I can hit 120+ yards with 25lb mainline and no leader with an overhead thump

Yep agree. Done 120 yards with 15lb flurocarbon, no leader. But i have cracked off a few times, luckily it was 120 acre pit

Back