• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review What are you using and why do you like it?.

When I decided to start a bit of sea fishing again I decided I needed to upgrde a bit. The old kit was a dhakespeare patriot beachcaster and another now unidentifiable rod which I can't remember and two ryobi fixed spools.
My choice was going to be fixed a spool set up.
What I ended up with was two vercelli enygma unabombers and two Imax fr match plus. I tend to take either pair out just now, depending on what I fancy. The unabombers being three peice are easier to transport and carry and they were out last session, session before that it was the pair of plus'.
I like the unabombers for there through action, i am not a pendulum caster and 99.9% of my fishing is off rock so oht is the method employed and they are great for that. With braid on every bite us a monster.
I didn't bond with the plus' immediately but like them just as much now. They were intended to be the "heavy" work pair, but not really done any heavy work yet.
Both currently get paired with okuma 8k surfs, 30lb 8 strand chinese braid and a 80lb 4 strand shock leader. I have a couple of shimano speedcasts, one spooled with 66lb power pro straight through which I started using as I only had the one and an 8000 aerlex on mono. They got retired when i got the surfs. The intention has been the speedcasts on the plus' and thevsurfs on the unabombers. Not quite organised that yet.
I am more than satisfied with the rods and reels that I have bought and use as they are all a vast improvement on the old kit lying in the shed and to be fair I can't justify spending much more for the times I get down the shore.
I have bought other kit but those are my main go to for what I do just now.

Ive gone back to my bullet gt after a spell on a Tip tornado super match graphex i just cant make up my mind about the Century even though its a lovely rod . It was cheap and only been used once so i bought it. My reels are the trusted Daiwa tournament 6000t,s they seem to go on for ever with no faults up to now after years of use. I like the slow gear ratio when reeling in with weight on , high gear ratio reels seem hard work to me and i just cant get along with them.

It really depends on what I'm targeting and what I feel like using.

I guess my "all-rounder" set up would be a zziplex primo synchro and Abu 6500ct, .35 rovex 10x, 80 or 100lb mono leader and rig to suit.

I like the primo as it copes with just about anything and is easy to cast with masses of power if you know how to use it.
The 6500 is a simple and safe reel to use and easy to maintain.
10x has proven to be a reliable line.

I've bought a few new Century rods lately, for more specific jobs, but my go to, are still the Fireblades.
They are great for rays, hounds, bass etc in the channel.... Light to hold and well balanced with a mk1 fathom or a saltiga if I want more cranking power.
The shorter length definitely makes dragging in rays etc easier.

If chesil is flat, calm and clear my go to rods are a pair of fox nemesis 15 footers, with the reel mounted low. My back isn't what it used to be and these rods are very forgiving. TTSM for most of my Bristol channel work or TTSMLDs for sole fishing. Also enjoy using a pair of mark 1 Primo's, or profiles, evo or standard depending on chesil conditions.

Pair of TT sport Graphex with fathom 15s over the mixed to rough.
Pair of TTlites and fathom 12s over the clean.
Mono on all my reels as I hate braid with a passion.

Fish all over... Mostly southwest or South wales but travel about a bit and rods are always in the Van.
The rods are a joy to use.
Slim, light and enough power in them to land pretty much anything that I am likely targeting on any given mark from Flatties to Tope.

Been through loads of rods over the years and have settled on the above as my 'forever' rods and dont think I'll be buying anymore these will do till I pop my clogs

Last edited:
Having fished for nearly 60 years I've gone through quite a range of rods and reels over the years and I've pretty much settled on a handful of favourites for virtually all of my fishing which now consists of rough ground lure fishing in deep water and bait fishing on everything from clean sand to extreme rough terrain. Most of my reels are old Abu multipliers from a time when they were built to last, and with regular cleaning and servicing they still perform as well as they ever did. I have a range of sizes to suit every need including 5600CA, 6500CS Sports Mag, 6500CT Sports Mag, 7000C, 8000C and 9000C. The only non Abu multiplier I use is an original Penn 525 Mag. The rods I use regularly are a Daiwa HPSB bass rod, a Greys BZe bass rod, a Zziplex Dream Machine GS Match Special, a Zziplex TF 50/50, and a Century Kompressor Grand Prix. My favourite rod is the Dream Machine which was an extreme range casting rod when new, but it has softened with age and is now a superb general fishing rod. Favourite reel would have to be the 7000C. A more unusual rod which I use regularly is a Daiwa uptide rod which is very handy for sessions where there is limited casting room. or on long walks when I want to travel light. It can be used with a small multiplier for lure fishing and with a swap to a bigger reel can cast 6ozs and a big bait for heavier bottom fishing. There have been many more rods and reels now gathering dust in the cupboard but these are my current regulars. I still have my first beach rod, a Milbro Beachmaster and an old Hardy beach rod with a reverse taper butt from the days of Les Moncrieff and Lay Back casting.

Having fished for nearly 60 years I've gone through quite a range of rods and reels over the years and I've pretty much settled on a handful of favourites for virtually all of my fishing which now consists of rough ground lure fishing in deep water and bait fishing on everything from clean sand to extreme rough terrain. Most of my reels are old Abu multipliers from a time when they were built to last, and with regular cleaning and servicing they still perform as well as they ever did. I have a range of sizes to suit every need including 5600CA, 6500CS Sports Mag, 6500CT Sports Mag, 7000C, 8000C and 9000C. The only non Abu multiplier I use is an original Penn 525 Mag. The rods I use regularly are a Daiwa HPSB bass rod, a Greys BZe bass rod, a Zziplex Dream Machine GS Match Special, a Zziplex TF 50/50, and a Century Kompressor Grand Prix. My favourite rod is the Dream Machine which was an extreme range casting rod when new, but it has softened with age and is now a superb general fishing rod. Favourite reel would have to be the 7000C. A more unusual rod which I use regularly is a Daiwa uptide rod which is very handy for sessions where there is limited casting room. or on long walks when I want to travel light. It can be used with a small multiplier for lure fishing and with a swap to a bigger reel can cast 6ozs and a big bait for heavier bottom fishing. There have been many more rods and reels now gathering dust in the cupboard but these are my current regulars. I still have my first beach rod, a Milbro Beachmaster and an old Hardy beach rod with a reverse taper butt from the days of Les Moncrieff and Lay Back casting.
Thats some collection of gear built over a long time!
The bze 13ft bass rod was an absolute peach!

The BZe is very light for a long rod. I've been using it for lure fishing for pollack for the last few years since the HPSB took a bit of a knock and I didn't want to overload it. It's light enough to use all day and I've had fish up to 8lbs on it.

The BZe is very light for a long rod. I've been using it for lure fishing for pollack for the last few years since the HPSB took a bit of a knock and I didn't want to overload it. It's light enough to use all day and I've had fish up to 8lbs on it.
I have lobbed some big old baits with mine ..... great rods

pair of AFAW match pros, "with a salt welded on" pair of magged mk1 fathom 15s on em
go any where any time rods, deal with flat sand to rough stuff
never had any issues anywhere with em

ps
cant remember the last time they were washed or the reels taken off n serviced
other week, just whipped off the side plates, quick drop of oil and stuck em back on again, without taking em off the rods)

actually not sure the reelseats even undo any more :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

pair of AFAW match pros, "with a salt welded on" pair of magged mk1 fathom 15s on em
go any where any time rods, deal with flat sand to rough stuff
never had any issues anywhere with em

ps
cant remember the last time they were washed or the reels taken off n serviced
other week, just whipped off the side plates, quick drop of oil and stuck em back on again, without taking em off the rods)

actually not sure the reelseats even undo any more :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Lol I have the worlds most corroded and disgusting match pro in my shed..... and I made it worse trying to sand it back and clear coat it.
I was so embarrassed I hid it.

Rods are pair of ttsg, ttsmg and Vega potenza hardcores. Reels are either 2 x casting specials, 2x fathom II 15, Shimano power aero and Shimano Ultegra CI4+. Mix and match to the venue.

Lol I have the worlds most corroded and disgusting match pro in my shed..... and I made it worse trying to sand it back and clear coat it.
I was so embarrassed I hid it.

And you have the cheek to say to me about my rods and reels ??

My go to rod is a Century MT 4000 , one of 50 built by Nick Buss for Micks Tackle in Hythe, Kent.
I pair it with a Slosh 20 or Penn 525 mag, not a lot of difference distance wise but the 525 cranks it all back slightly more comfortably.
It's not a rod for fishing close in, it really likes being bent.
When I fish with two rods I'll often take my Penn Sidewinder, both are great for OTG casting.

My go to rod is a Century MT 4000 , one of 50 built by Nick Buss for Micks Tackle in Hythe, Kent.
I pair it with a Slosh 20 or Penn 525 mag, not a lot of difference distance wise but the 525 cranks it all back slightly more comfortably.
It's not a rod for fishing close in, it really likes being bent.
When I fish with two rods I'll often take my Penn Sidewinder, both are great for OTG casting.

Have you moved the handle on the Slosh? Mine could skip a cod along the surface they are that quick.

Back