• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales What's the official boundaries of North, West and South Wales?

Timbc2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've always thought of Barmouth of being the southern boundary of North Wales, I might be wrong though for all I know.
Where does West Wales end and South Wales begin?

Fk knows :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I always thought Conway/Rhyl area was North Wales.!!! & South Wales is the bottom.

Barmouth is West to me, well at least that is what the compass says!

Having lived near Barmouth. I would say anywhere in Gwynedd is North Wales and then when you get into Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire that would be West, then South Wales as Swansea round to the Bristol Channel.

I went to school in Tywyn near Aberdyfi and pretty much any sports / contest related stuff was always in the "North Wales" region.

As preserved counties, Gwynedd covers the entire western side of North Wales including Anglesey. Dyfed covers the whole of the West encompassing Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.

Those would be the logical dividing lines, imho :)

I think you need to add in Mid Wales to get North and South, IMHO anything above Builth is north and Aberystwyth would be kinda mid ?‍♂️, but then if you are in the north it would be further up. West Wales for me, starts at the end of the M4 or just after so anything west of Cross Hands / Camarthen.

Having lived near Barmouth. I would say anywhere in Gwynedd is North Wales and then when you get into Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire that would be West, then South Wales as Swansea round to the Bristol Channel.

I went to school in Tywyn near Aberdyfi and pretty much any sports / contest related stuff was always in the "North Wales" region.

As preserved counties, Gwynedd covers the entire western side of North Wales including Anglesey. Dyfed covers the whole of the West encompassing Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.

When i was in school Anglesey was it's own "shire" and only later it became within Gwynedd.

It does not seem "normal" for me to call Barmouth N Wales as it due west from me, and we have areas above us, but yes many things now in that area are "N Wales"

Traditionally the Dyfi (Dovey) is seen as the boundary between the north and south.
One question would be what dialect of Welsh they speak, as gog's use different words for milk amongst other things. Gogs (north walians) use "llefrith" for milk but the south use "llaeth".
West wales is an odd one. Coming from Aberystwyth, l do not consider Aber as west wales, to me, west wales is Pembrokeshire.

Traditionally the Dyfi (Dovey) is seen as the boundary between the north and south.
One question would be what dialect of Welsh they speak, as gog's use different words for milk amongst other things. Gogs (north walians) use "llefrith" for milk but the south use "llaeth".
West wales is an odd one. Coming from Aberystwyth, l do not consider Aber as west wales, to me, west wales is Pembrokeshire.
Is it not on the west coast of wales ? ??

Yes, Aberystwyth is on the west coast, but Pembrokeshire is further west.

I have never seen lines drawn on maps to confirm which is which.

You just make your own mind up, :unsure: i think!
There's a song about that - making your mind up. ;) I will stick to Sussex and don't have a visa for Wales.:cool:

That sounds good enough for me, wasn't thinking about county boundaries but that does seem the most sensible way to do it. I was only asking because of the prefix selection for posting on here and it got me thinking about it (y)

Having lived near Barmouth. I would say anywhere in Gwynedd is North Wales
Perhaps that should be "anywhere in Gwynedd and the coast round to the Dee estuary is North Wales".

The moot point is whether Ceredigion is West Wales or not. Some say it is, some say it isnt.

Perhaps that should be "anywhere in Gwynedd and the coast round to the Dee estuary is North Wales".

The moot point is whether Ceredigion is West Wales or not. Some say it is, some say it isnt.
When I used to go to Cenarth, Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn; I was told that it is in mid west Wales.

Back