• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Xmas Bash Fishing Trip/Escape!

Tournamag

Reaction score
London with "Night Mayor for London Kaiser Khan"
Very Early 24th Went South/South west to drop of my Carbon Metals just sold then headed down to Christchurch Angling for supplies/goodies!.
Landed Southbourne had a few hours on beach as past high using my trusty LA's and Fathom 12's quite a big sea waves breaking long way out but manageable weed on and off those claggy bits that glum up line!.
Had some showers pass through so got damp as shed's a ball ache on sand but managed it blowing through fast in on shore wind mind Swanage/Poole got pissed on a lot!
Caught a small Bass so blank averted!.

Headed back to Hotel(Car)and headed off to shops for some xmas Shopping(food and coffee etc)
Got myself into gear and back down to beach weather cleared so temps dropped had a mixture of baits to try/use!
L&M 2 up 1 down rig on blacks and rag took two whiting and Bagnal type had a decent pouting on Bluey/Sand eel/Squid combo as kept mixing them up so can't quite remember which combo but pouting love anything!.
Weed started getting an arse ache pulling gear in waves so called it a night brought L&M in to find a chunky Bass on worm.

Got nut down or tried to sleep as rain and wind got incessant at times ended up getting up/around late morning as kept raining lots in big showers couldn't even see land towards Poole side as just Grey.
Had my Xmas lunch out (Some dodgy Sandwiches from co op!
Got burner/brewing kit out and sorted myself out some hot drinks as always raises enthusiasm later weather cleared so got myself ready and headed down walked long way up towards Zigzag set up cast out fish bait rod i quickly saw line pointing downwards then going left n right with wash so reeled it in but weed galore which made it hard work so called it a day with that rod and other rod on L&M 3 hook was having none of it snapped line in end so that was that time to go!.

Had a brew up and friend rang and said Steamer way hopefully will be ok as by then blowing 6-7 gale so headed that way parked up was going to have a gander but thought better off it as even though round corner ie more sheltered it was having it!
So booked into luxury suite(Back of car)had a good kip woke up around 8 burner on had coffee sorted kit out etc and headed to beach well what a change clear and sunny wind had dropped right away leaving day pretty pleasant.
Got set up beach was full of all and sundry plus there mutts! so hard work trying to cast out as they just walk almost into without any sense of where going plus many have no control of dogs!
Then had some foil surfer turn up and catch line! cast more to right and he still caught it this lost lot as snagged round it!
Few interesting people turned up rather than the normal twonks! so got a bit of local info.
Then Benji the Magic Gardener turned up bearing good will and treats hot water and turkey Sandwiches! plus some nice wood for projects.
Caught another Chunky Bass around 40cm then two whiting one small which went back bigger one went home to have a look at Benji's Culinary Skills as deep hooked then had a few flounders then had to stop as water going down and dark plus temps dropped quickly as lights was in car and warm coats and burner bits as getting Benji returned so we ventured back to beach had a walk out checked features noticed to one side was more sandy/muddy compared to where had been which was hard packed rocky shingle sort of area and couldn't see much to hold fish so said moving to sandy/muddy area.
Got gear out there just as tide hitting slope up with bagnal type rig( i make in 100lb mono without cascade swivel instead a larger swivel that hooks up on a clip that is tensioned by srt springs so have bodies made then tie rest as need with these can fish heavier gear)penneled with 2/0 and smaller Chinu top hook loaded with Squid and bluey cast out at range(down to backing line!/third ring on fathom 12/.30 line)Benji said you have a bite! as other rod on worm had a chunky pouting and noticed some weed on line but not too bad!
So brought in Fish bait rod in to be greeted with weed bits and weight so thinking !!! any a long while(Trouble with distance is have to wind it all back in again!
Got gear back in saw some weed plus some eyes shining back at me in light!
Result nice very thick Small eyed Ray Benji reckons between 8-10lbs My first so a decent PB.
Tried to weight it but stupid scales battery had gone flat well came on but no weight showed up when tried it!!!
After we put it back carried on to end with a Doggy on Squid/bluey wrap.
Called it a Day as tired and wanted to get home at a reasonable time even though it was 5am odd!

My boot is size 13 around 14" long.

One thing that was theme of trip was tangles everything that could tangly did even stuff that shouldn't did had knots never knew existed and knots inside knots and rigs came back with line wrapped and knotted round them!

Attachments

• 20221226_193400[1].jpg
    20221226_193400[1].jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221226_193355[1].jpg
    20221226_193355[1].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221226_193343[1].jpg
    20221226_193343[1].jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221226_192712[1].jpg
    20221226_192712[1].jpg
    122 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That's a long one😃....very well done on all the species......foilboarder is a top catch (hope it wasn't my mate 🤔). Lovely ray to finish as well 👍👍👍

Nice report Tourna! Well done on the small eyed! 🎣🎣👍👍

Cheers all. It was the incessant wind that grinds you down always in your face wasn't cold though well not freezing!
Just damp plus everythings got that Eternal issue of sand in everything! as still finding sand from fishing sandbanks years back!.
Memo to ones self! Isolate batteries in scales Grrr(place a piece of tape/plastic between battery and contact)plus carry spares.

Tips learn't cold boxes more than one if staying for while or baits mush/toast! plus sort it out into lots so quick to take out so not loosing too much cold and decent cold bags as the imax long thing and tronix bait pack are not all that.
So best is to split sessions bait up between boxes etc also the plug in boxes prove their worth.

Also found/worked out a few things about venue which could be pretty useful!

Also do love my Italcanna LA's they just work just such an easy rod to work with and casts well with good tip plus light.

Warm togs was Tog24 softshell coat with hood with their goose/duck down hooded jacket under it repels water and warm.

My three headed tripod head conversion i made works well and solid unlike the original flat bar that you get on golds and it incorporates multi rig holders!

Bait tables/holders etc are a godsend on flat sandy beaches to prepare slithers/multi baits on! along with tripod nets esp with errant dogs around as one uncontrolled mutt nearly needed vet as jumped up tripod grabbing a rig which lucky for them it missed hook Benji fended it off!.
Time to Venture into my inventors workshop(Kitchen worktop)and design one that fits to tripod?

The Ray in last pic with scales is on a black bin bag and wider than that to give some sense of size or weight as we sort of guessed

Cheers all. It was the incessant wind that grinds you down always in your face wasn't cold though well not freezing!
Just damp plus everythings got that Eternal issue of sand in everything! as still finding sand from fishing sandbanks years back!.
Memo to ones self! Isolate batteries in scales Grrr(place a piece of tape/plastic between battery and contact)plus carry spares.

Tips learn't cold boxes more than one if staying for while or baits mush/toast! plus sort it out into lots so quick to take out so not loosing too much cold and decent cold bags as the imax long thing and tronix bait pack are not all that.
So best is to split sessions bait up between boxes etc also the plug in boxes prove their worth.

Also found/worked out a few things about venue which could be pretty useful!

Also do love my Italcanna LA's they just work just such an easy rod to work with and casts well with good tip plus light.

Warm togs was Tog24 softshell coat with hood with their goose/duck down hooded jacket under it repels water and warm.

My three headed tripod head conversion i made works well and solid unlike the original flat bar that you get on golds and it incorporates multi rig holders!

Bait tables/holders etc are a godsend on flat sandy beaches to prepare slithers/multi baits on! along with tripod nets esp with errant dogs around as one uncontrolled mutt nearly needed vet as jumped up tripod grabbing a rig which lucky for them it missed hook Benji fended it off!.
Time to Venture into my inventors workshop(Kitchen worktop)and design one that fits to tripod?

The Ray in last pic with scales is on a black bin bag and wider than that to give some sense of size or weight as we sort of guessed
You forgot your bells..!🙄

Another after thought that could help others? Thinking Gemini leads would be better along there as think SKM etc are tumbling why lines wrapped round/in them and Geminis has long tail with wires coming from end more so axis of leverage is different.
Where as SKM/Namix wires are around half way up lead.

Back