• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Zziplex evolution ct

It was rare to get two rods exactly the same out of the Zziplex of old. I suspect Chilly will be trying to homogenise their products now
I think that's what made zziplex unique though Tops, slight variations from blank to blank in the same range, and they had a massive following, so they must have been doing something right. And now the brand is back, and long may that continue. (y)

Ian.

I'm all for choice and definitely support UK manufacturers. I fully recognised and applauded TCs genius and that ability to custmise, but it was quite haphazard and the one offs/custom tweeks where not labelled as such which caused all kinds of confusion in the 2nd hand market. A truly matching pair was hard to get - that obviously drove many folk mad and put them off buying. Have a look at Stan M's post elsewhere - he was tasked to build 8 allegedly identical blanks that required 3 different sized tip rings - that's not what you'd call QC in modern production, it's bloody pot luck! I trust Century to do a great job with the Zziplex relaunch and certainly wish them the very best. I'm sure that getting a consistent product, batch after batch, will be a key part of their desire and think the vast majority of customers will expect it. (They'll also expect resin appliied over decals too in my book! It's a stupid move to simply apply a peel off sticker to a £500 plus product imo)
I also hope Harrisons will step up and do their part to put UK blank manufacturing back where it belongs. They're another company that I know can produce top quality products. IF you can get them! What happened to all that Cono-flex design and equipment they aquired? Nothing that I know of? I know their core business it to make predominantly carp blanks but it's been a long time since they brought out anything new for the sea angler. What about a Conti or two, an uptider, a bass special, a boat range etc? Hell even a batch of Flattie Fanatics would sell like hot cakes. Some things don't need fixing, they just need making - supply and demand works both ways - you can't buy what isn't made.

Last edited:
I'm all for choice and definitely support UK manufacturers. I fully recognised and applauded TCs genius and that ability to custmise, but it was quite haphazard and the one offs/custom tweeks where not labelled as such which caused all kinds of confusion in the 2nd hand market. A truly matching pair was hard to get - that obviously drove many folk mad and put them off buying. Have a look at Stan M's post elsewhere - he was tasked to build 8 allegedly identical blanks that required 3 different sized tip rings - that's not what you'd call QC in modern production, it's bloody pot luck! I trust Century to do a great job with the Zziplex relaunch and certainly wish them the very best. I'm sure that getting a consistent product, batch after batch, will be a key part of their desire and think the vast majority of customers will expect it. (They'll also expect resin appliied over decals too in my book! It's a stupid move to simply apply a peel off sticker to a £500 plus product imo)
I also hope Harrisons will step up and do their part to put UK blank manufacturing back where it belongs. They're another company that I know can produce top quality products. IF you can get them! What happened to all that Cono-flex design and equipment they aquired? Nothing that I know of? I know their core business it to make predominantly carp blanks but it's been a long time since they brought out anything new for the sea angler. What about a Conti or two, an uptider, a bass special, a boat range etc? Hell even a batch of Flattie Fanatics would sell like hot cakes. Some things don't need fixing, they just need making - supply and demand works both ways - you can't buy what isn't made.
I have it on first degree information that Harrison’s was going to reintroduce the flattie fanatic as a first model, they even made a few preproduction ones but that’s as far as it went

That would be interesting.
Basically money did not speak nore interest certain persons involved in the reincarnation of con o flex , mandrills and machinery are left to rot and junk just piled on top of them , kiss goodbye to con o flex ever coming back that’s a well known thing so get over it and buy a century or a zziplex , believe me I’m a conoflex user I’ve got some conoflex rods that never went to the shops and they are so much better than anything on this modern day and age market, but hey they only a fishing rod,

Last edited:
Basically money did not speak nore interest certain persons involved in the reincarnation of con o flex , mandrills and machinery are left to rot and junk just piled on top of them , kiss goodbye to con o flex ever coming back that’s a well known thing so get over it and buy a century or a zziplex
I’ve got two zziplex light bass rods that do the job well. They are the original green blanks and still have their original Tony’s Tackle build. I’ve hardly used them in the last ten years or so, but that will change this summer.

My opinion of the evolution CT is that it’s horrible. Nice light rod with a silly tip, but the GT is a different beast. I’m sure others will disagree.

My opinion of the evolution CT is that it’s horrible. Nice light rod with a silly tip, but the GT is a different beast. I’m sure others will disagree.
They just not what I expected I needed something with a good bit of meat in them, I was looking for something to replace the t-zeros I have gone for the m4 gt , I did try the la vector that has to be the worst rod ever than my hand has touched I put it in the garden chipper it’s now in a trillion pieces.,

None of the carbon tipped Zziplexs I've tried are my kind of fishing rod. Field casting rods yes but not what I want from a fishing tool

None of the carbon tipped Zziplexs I've tried are my kind of fishing rod. Field casting rods yes but not what I want from a fishing tool
Oooo I agree on with you on some of them but I love the hst dymic and the primo and hate a lot of glass tilped zzipys but the t/zero is glass tiped but not as much in the length as other zips the m4 gt is a very nice rod will it replace the t-zero I daubt it ., I’ve got a bullet high flex incredibly nice rod but the butt is so thick it’s unusable yet I’ll not part with it

Horses for courses Mike. Such a subjective thing. I haven’t tried them all and considering how many variants and one offs there are I wonder if anyone could or actually has🤔

Cono-Flex made very good Blanks/Rods, wish I had kept hold of my Black Adders. :(

Ian.

Horses for courses Mike. Such a subjective thing. I haven’t tried them all and considering how many variants and one offs there are I wonder if anyone could or actually has🤔
I've got a primo HF and Lee made the butt slightly softer for this oldtimer. For me it's the feedback during the cast, you just feel everything, the profile evo whilst different again has that same feedback.

Great rods the difficulty always was finding the one that was a perfect match for your style and capabilities...

They just not what I expected I needed something with a good bit of meat in them, I was looking for something to replace the t-zeros I have gone for the m4 gt , I did try the la vector that has to be the worst rod ever than my hand has touched I put it in the garden chipper it’s now in a trillion pieces.,
The Italcanna LA is a scalpel not a cleaver , new design and carbon against 20 year old design and lower grade carbon.
Still glad you have found something you like!.
I always felt the M4GT was the best allrounder south coast rod zippy made seems like you think it is too.

Back