• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Coleman North Star repairs

Leecobby

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi I have a brand new northstar, can pressurise the tank but no air or fuel comes through. Any idea what the problem might be or anyone on here that I can pay to sort for me please? I’m in norfolk.
Cheers

I have a brand new northstar, can pressurise the tank but no air or fuel comes through. Any idea what the problem might be
Probably needs a new Generator.The brass bit that the Mantles attach to.Failing that a new valve.That's my actual lamp below.
shopping

Attachments

• 20180825_184711 (1).jpg
    20180825_184711 (1).jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just one word of warning if you go down the self repair route. Make sure that all nuts are correctly tightened and all seals are in good order before you re-assemble as a petrol lamp is an extremely dangerous thing if you have a leak.

Once assembled, always good to pressurise and leave for 15 minutes to check for any leaks before you put a flame anywhere near it.

Thanks all for your advice. ?
If it is brand new and not working then I would be taking it back to where I bought it from.

If that is not possible then the problem could be a couple of things but is most likely to be something blocking the jets. At the top of the generator there is a tiny hole on the last bit (The jets) that the fuel sprays out of. Also inside the centre of the generator is a thin rod with a tiny needle on the top that goes inside the tiny hole on the jet to stop the fuel coming out until you turn the lamp on. (The on/off dial is linked to the bottom of the thin rod.)
When you pressurise the fuel it flows up the inside of the generator around the thin rod, waiting for you to open the valve by turning it, which then lowers the tiny needle from the pin hole. If the fuel you have put in had a bit of dirt in it, then it can block the pin hole, which is why you are provided with a funnel with a filter in the bottom for filling the lamp reservoir. Did you use this when you put fuel in the lamp?

The generator can be removed and the jet off the top removed to clean, although you need to be careful when you replace it, otherwise you can damage the fine needle.

If it’s brand new it could well be as Kine says, just a bit of crap on the needle, if the fuel was dirty or you didn’t use the filter.

If it came from an actual shop, might be worth going back and chatting to them? Someone there might be able to clean it for you, although obviously be careful what you admit to until you know what the cause is!

Mines in a wardrobe,empty of course.Also have another that runs on 8 D size batteries,don't know if you've seen one.(y)
shopping
shopping
No, not seen those but heard the electric ones are quite good?

Most of my fishing is quite mobile so base lamps aren’t really a thing for me but that would definitely be useful if you weren’t moving around and didn’t have to carry too much too far.

I use mine for camping, just because I like the sound! From a time before battery lanterns. That sound is etched on my memory from my childhood. It puts me in a good place
Reminds me off frozen nights 25-30 yrs ago stood on the beach when you could catch cod. Got one in the garage somewhere.

If it is brand new and not working then I would be taking it back to where I bought it from.

If that is not possible then the problem could be a couple of things but is most likely to be something blocking the jets. At the top of the generator there is a tiny hole on the last bit (The jets) that the fuel sprays out of. Also inside the centre of the generator is a thin rod with a tiny needle on the top that goes inside the tiny hole on the jet to stop the fuel coming out until you turn the lamp on. (The on/off dial is linked to the bottom of the thin rod.)
When you pressurise the fuel it flows up the inside of the generator around the thin rod, waiting for you to open the valve by turning it, which then lowers the tiny needle from the pin hole. If the fuel you have put in had a bit of dirt in it, then it can block the pin hole, which is why you are provided with a funnel with a filter in the bottom for filling the lamp reservoir. Did you use this when you put fuel in the lamp?

The generator can be removed and the jet off the top removed to clean, although you need to be careful when you replace it, otherwise you can damage the fine needle.
No I didn’t use a filter but used Coleman fuel straight out of the container. Could this still be an issue? Thanks for the advice ?

I used the old tilly lamp years ago , loved the hiss and the fro of light but didn't like a lot of the problems you got with them . Head lamps in those days where rubbish and in the end bought a bran new miners lamp , very heavy but the big battery lasted a hell of a long time. These days we are spoilt for choice with some fantastic lighting available to us . With the North star its probably a blocked jet or is the lamp not pumping properly .

Mines in a wardrobe,empty of course.Also have another that runs on 8 D size batteries,don't know if you've seen one.(y)
shopping
shopping

I hate to say it, as I was always a big fan of Coleman, but they have been left behind now when it comes to lanterns. The latest LE lantern provides 1000 lumens of LED light that will illuminate out to 15m on full power and will provide up to 200 hours of light on the lower settings, whilst still illuminating 6m, which is more than enough for most base camps when fishing. Best of all though is it weighs less than a pound and is much smaller than a petrol lantern.

No I didn’t use a filter but used Coleman fuel straight out of the container. Could this still be an issue? Thanks for the advice ?
It’s not likely to have any bits inside the Coleman fuel container, but it only needs the smallest flake of rust or a bit of plastic off the lid to block the hole in the jet. Depending upon which jet it is, the hole could be as small as 2/10ths of a millimetre.

If it is not the jet then it could be the base not pressurised so that no fuel is being forced through but I would think it is much more likely to be a blockage. If you are not confident enough taking it apart yourself then the local tackle shop or a local camping shop may be able to help out. I’m afraid you are a bit too far away for me or else I would happily have had a look for you.

If you can wait until Monday I can strip one of my lamps and take some pics to show you how to do your own?

Back