• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Coleman North Star repairs

It’s not likely to have any bits inside the Coleman fuel container, but it only needs the smallest flake of rust or a bit of plastic off the lid to block the hole in the jet. Depending upon which jet it is, the hole could be as small as 2/10ths of a millimetre.

If it is not the jet then it could be the base not pressurised so that no fuel is being forced through but I would think it is much more likely to be a blockage. If you are not confident enough taking it apart yourself then the local tackle shop or a local camping shop may be able to help out. I’m afraid you are a bit too far away for me or else I would happily have had a look for you.

If you can wait until Monday I can strip one of my lamps and take some pics to show you how to do your own?
Thanks I have ordered a new generator and will fit next week and let you know if it works. If the old one is blocked I will have a spare. Cheers

I hate to say it, as I was always a big fan of Coleman, but they have been left behind now when it comes to lanterns. The latest LE lantern provides 1000 lumens of LED light that will illuminate out to 15m on full power and will provide up to 200 hours of light on the lower settings, whilst still illuminating 6m, which is more than enough for most base camps when fishing. Best of all though is it weighs less than a pound and is much smaller than a petrol lantern.
Ah, but can you warm your hands on them though?!

LED's have truly revolutionised lighting in recent years. Numerous different light fittings in our kitchen, and I've changed them all to LED's. I had a large rechargable torch/lantern that had done good service for many years but it stopped charging. Sealed Lead acid battery I think & standard bulb. I was mooching about on eBay and spotted the same torch, but now with Lithium Ion battery and LED bulb, for £3.89! Much lighter, better beam, charges faster, and works great!

How many pumps did you give it?
And turn pump know 1/2-1 turn and pump with thumb over hole in knob then pumped till hard keeping thumb over hole turn till closed/locked.
If your fiddling around with control open you will loose pressure quickly.
Did you feel any resistance when pumping?
If been sat for long time and older version they had leather washer on end of plunger which needs a drop of oil like 3 in 1 or thicker(there better than the plastic/rubber washer mind they can perish/break if old also.
I always treat my stoves to some carb/injector cleaner every so often to keep jet/wire cleaner.
Pump fuel gums them up!
Best stuff is Aspen fuel can buy in 5litres odd even no nasties and runs clean many run chainsaws on it

Last edited:
Don't know what fuel you are using but petrol has become an issue in outboards and garden machinery recently,too much ethanol in it attracts moisture and it doesn't keep well.

It doesn't store well apparently so only buy what you need,don't buy a load and expect it to last a year in a can .
About 20 litres in cans in France - thankfully it is the old stuff bought over there 2 years ago. Worst comes to the worst I'll mix it with some fresh.

Forewarned about panic buying eh.Sneaky.Hoping we wouldn't notice.Cats out of the bag now.:ROFLMAO:
Haha! Nah, we've got 2 x 10 litre cans that I filled up last time we were over there for the ride-ons & chainsaws etc. Thanks to health issues, Covid & Brexit, not been able to get over there for over 2 years.

Smelly water now! E5 won't last anyway two years probably flatter than a witches tits?
96 Octane unleaded - should be OK, in sealed cans. If not, I'll have to put a nitrous kit on the ride-on! ???

Back