• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Conti for xmas

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Right the holiday I bloody hate is fast approaching but it does mean sales.

I want to buy my dad a conti rod. Ideally something around 15ft, that can handle 6oz and cast ok with an overhead thump.

He can’t do any fancy casts and usually just plops a bait in the surf. He would like more distance.

My maximum budget is £300 so I was looking at the sonik gravity x5 154. Any thoughts on this rod?

I’ve already got a reel and braid sorted.

My advice is talk to your local tackle shop owner ,he should be able to help you & advise you.

I would have suggested a Grauvell Vertix, but they went bust. Pleased as punch with mine. 2nd hand ones are rare as Hen's teeth too.
Have you thought of having a look on Gumtree or eBay for a quality 2nd hand rod?

I would have suggested a Grauvell Vertix, but they went bust. Pleased as punch with mine. 2nd hand ones are rare as Hen's teeth too.
Have you thought of having a look on Gumtree or eBay for a quality 2nd hand rod?

To be honest I’d rather buy new so I have the warranty as it’s a gift.

What about the century fireblade gt at 14'.
Would make a nice present and be better suited to our style of fishing. Apparently a very easy rod to cast and will easily cast 6oz. £325 I think 🤔

I had been considering it but I think the 15ft would be a bit better for ease of distance. I might be talking bollocks though. I often am 🤣

14' all day long, the manufacturers make both sizes, have never found a need for the 15' ers, even though I own one which happens to be an 80g - 180g colmic primera an absolutely superb rod picked up second hand, just could not find the 14' version therefore had to go for the longer one but it brings nothing extra to the table, and as you will probably notice most new conti's are rated to 250g, it usually means the tips are stiffer than what I would want for rods of this type, it is becoming extremely difficult to get some lighter conti's without dropping to quiver tips which are fine but there is a need for a medium type rod between the two

Ideally something around 15ft, that can handle 6oz and cast ok with an overhead thump.

Last edited:
Just realised the awful angler on YouTube, that I’m watching at the moment uses the fury. They seem to work well for him! Great price too
Some deals on those currently for around £200 where you can add an Akios FS reel too, not sure on the quality but lots seem to use them.

Back