• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Furniture polish

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A mate told me years ago he sprayed furniture polish on his rod rings.
The idea being that it creates a waxy residue that repels water and hence helps to beat corrosion.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? I’ve started doing it but hasn’t been time to evaluate the results yet.
Just sprayed and left to dry the two Century rods I used last night, after a clean down, of course.

I freely admit I’m not the sort to clean rods every trip and they certainly don’t go in the shower with me or anything like that!

It’s not really a cleaning thread - rods and reels are just tools to me and if they need the odd new eye after 2-3 years that’s fine.

But wondered if anyone had tried the polish method and noticed any improvement?

A mate told me years ago he sprayed furniture polish on his rod rings.
The idea being that it creates a waxy residue that repels water and hence helps to beat corrosion.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? I’ve started doing it but hasn’t been time to evaluate the results yet.
Just sprayed and left to dry the two Century rods I used last night, after a clean down, of course.

I freely admit I’m not the sort to clean rods every trip and they certainly don’t go in the shower with me or anything like that!

It’s not really a cleaning thread - rods and reels are just tools to me and if they need the odd new eye after 2-3 years that’s fine.

But wondered if anyone had tried the polish method and noticed any improvement?
I had a moment of madness after a session a few months ago and decided to give 2 of my rods & my Tripod a good clean. Wiped them down with a soapy cloth, left them to dry, and gave them a wipe with Pledge or similar! First thing that came to hand! Rods looked sparkling after, and it did wonders for the Shakespeare tripod - everything was gleaming and it slides/works a lot better now too. Surely it has to offer a little protection.

I had a moment of madness after a session a few months ago and decided to give 2 of my rods & my Tripod a good clean. Wiped them down with a soapy cloth, left them to dry, and gave them a wipe with Pledge or similar! First thing that came to hand! Rods looked sparkling after, and it did wonders for the Shakespeare tripod - everything was gleaming and it slides/works a lot better now too. Surely it has to offer a little protection.
That’s what I thought mate. Once they’re clean I figured the waxy polish would repel moisture a bit.
I don’t really care how the rods look but if I can prevent the salt water attacking rod rings that’s useful!

I've tried it with some car polish but can't say I noticed much difference, though I'm not really one to clean my gear much, apart from my reels. I'm the same as trampster though, in my mind it has to offer some kind of protection, even if it is just a little water repellent as the salt water shouldn't build up as easily and damage the eyes.

Tbh there’s not really anything on the tripod that can corrode quickly so it doesn’t get much attention!

I've tried it with some car polish but can't say I noticed much difference, though I'm not really one to clean my gear much, apart from my reels. I'm the same as trampster though, in my mind it has to offer some kind of protection, even if it is just a little water repellent as the salt water shouldn't build up as easily and damage the eyes.
Cheers yes, this was my thinking?

That’s what I thought mate. Once they’re clean I figured the waxy polish would repel moisture a bit.
I don’t really care how the rods look but if I can prevent the salt water attacking rod rings that’s useful!
It did wonders for the Tripod. It had only been used a couple of times when I bought it, but had been lying around for a while & never been cleaned I reckon. It needed a few adjustments, and now all the slidey bits fit better & slide like silk.

It did wonders for the Tripod. It had only been used a couple of times when I bought it, but had been lying around for a while & never been cleaned I reckon. It needed a few adjustments, and now all the slidey bits fit better & slide like silk.
Mine is used most weeks and doesn’t have time to seize up lol

Cheers yes, this was my thinking?
A couple of my rods, especially older 2nd hand ones I've bought have got a small amount of surface corrosion on the eyes, and I was going to give them a gentle brushing with a brass wire brush, and a coat of Black nail polish. Not sure what else to use, but at least nail polish is free and comes with it's own brush! One of Tina's daughters is a skilled nail technician and often flits off to London to help with photo shoots!

Mine is used most weeks and doesn’t have time to seize up lol
It hadn't seized up - twas nearly new, but a bit of TLC made everything work a lot better. I have to confess to being a little in love with that Shakespeare electric Blue! ??

Back