• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Furniture polish

Lol, my knife etc barely gets cleaned from one month to the next.
But it all goes in the shed so the only one bothered by any smell is me.
Don’t usually carry a bucket, mainly just to cut down on things to carry.

Reels don’t get cleaned that often either ? but yes I’d do them if they got sandy
I sometimes use my filleting knife in the kitchen at home, so have to keep it clean & sparkling, otherwise SWMBO would kill me!

On returning home all my gear gets a good spray down with the garden hose set on mist. Reels come off and get a further rinse under a tap and an quick scrub with an old toothbrush if necessary before being left to thoroughly dry. No sprays or detergents in these routine cleans. If I service a reel then the matching rod with get a more thorough wash.

I sometimes use my filleting knife in the kitchen at home, so have to keep it clean & sparkling, otherwise SWMBO would kill me!
Ah, my FILLETING knife stays clean as it’s an expensive one, the bait knife just gets chucked in a corner ?

Ah, my FILLETING knife stays clean as it’s an expensive one, the bait knife just gets chucked in a corner ?
I only carry the one! Although I did find one of those Opinel folding knives recently, so that has also taken up residence with the fishing tackle.

1639156959181.png

I only carry the one! Although I did find one of those Opinel folding knives recently, so that has also taken up residence with the fishing tackle.

View attachment 19060
The filleting knife usually stays at home except for boat trips.

My bait knife is just a cheap thick bladed stainless jobbie that cost about £8 and I’d guess is intended as a diver’s knife or similar

A mate told me years ago he sprayed furniture polish on his rod rings.
The idea being that it creates a waxy residue that repels water and hence helps to beat corrosion.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? I’ve started doing it but hasn’t been time to evaluate the results yet.
Just sprayed and left to dry the two Century rods I used last night, after a clean down, of course.

I freely admit I’m not the sort to clean rods every trip and they certainly don’t go in the shower with me or anything like that!

It’s not really a cleaning thread - rods and reels are just tools to me and if they need the odd new eye after 2-3 years that’s fine.

But wondered if anyone had tried the polish method and noticed any improvement?
I use AC50, the same as I use on my motorbikes. Stops corrosion and definitely slippery when wet. Apparently the same they use on aircrafts.

Stan is right about quality. I do a lot of repairs so see a selection of rods new and old and the guides on most of the newer rods are appalling. Needs more than furniture spray to protect them but it doesn't really matter as they won't last more than a couple of years anyway.
my conoflex still looks new after 35 + years, fuji rings.

Have you tried using it? - Joke ;)
i used it on dover addy for many years pulling up 10 mackies at a time
with a abu 9000c on it, and i still use it every now and then but with a 7000c
on the beach.

Back