• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Furniture polish

If they are quality guides they should not corrode easily. Soap and water is all that`s needed. All these dumb sprays give no additional protection and are a nightmare if you or your builder have to change a guide. Never sprayed one in my life and never had one corrode.
Why is a spray an issue Stan? Genuine question? I would have thought any residue would just wipe off?
I don’t put anything permanent on them, that’s for sure.

Why is a spray an issue Stan? Genuine question? I would have thought any residue would just wipe off?
I don’t put anything permanent on them, that’s for sure.
It`s not an issue, just serves no real purpose. If the residue just wipes off then the spray on the guides will wipe off just as easy. Simple soap and water does the job. The brown sometimes seen around the guide feet is not a corrosion it is ingress of algae due to poor build allowing the sea water with the algae to penetrate under the resin.

It`s not an issue, just serves no real purpose. If the residue just wipes off then the spray on the guides will wipe off just as easy. Simple soap and water does the job. The brown sometimes seen around the guide feet is not a corrosion it is ingress of algae due to poor build allowing the sea water with the algae to penetrate under the resin.
Ah I see, cheers. Tbh my guides don’t corrode overnight by any stretch but they do get a lot of abuse and I must confess, rarely get a clean.
I’m attempting to turn over a new leaf ?

Ah I see, cheers. Tbh my guides don’t corrode overnight by any stretch but they do get a lot of abuse and I must confess, rarely get a clean.
I’m attempting to turn over a new leaf ?
Fairy liquid and water, even once every 5 trips and a light sponge not anything heavy like scouring pad.

Couple of coats of hard car polish with no silicon in it, work it into the rings as well. Seen the brown gunk under the wraps on shop bought rods but never on one I have built. When you remove the wraps then you can see where the finish has not penetrated all the way through and the rings are corroded but nothing a good clean up won't sort.
Always wash rods and reels in warm water after use and fly gear I take in the shower with me, flylines get a terrible amount of muck on them after a days use so need a good clean as well.

In 48 years of fishing, only ever used soapy water to clean my rods down, then a dry cloth. Job done.

Ian.

A mate told me years ago he sprayed furniture polish on his rod rings.
The idea being that it creates a waxy residue that repels water and hence helps to beat corrosion.

Has anyone else tried this with any success? I’ve started doing it but hasn’t been time to evaluate the results yet.
Just sprayed and left to dry the two Century rods I used last night, after a clean down, of course.

I freely admit I’m not the sort to clean rods every trip and they certainly don’t go in the shower with me or anything like that!

It’s not really a cleaning thread - rods and reels are just tools to me and if they need the odd new eye after 2-3 years that’s fine.

But wondered if anyone had tried the polish method and noticed any improvement?
mr sheen works a treat,just spray it on and wipe it off and all my rods look like
new after many years.

mr sheen works a treat,just spray it on and wipe it off and all my rods look like
new after many years.
Cheers, yes I’ve got something similar. Generic brand I think but same sort of stuff.

My problem is I don’t clean and spray the rods as often as I should ??

My problem is I don’t clean and spray the rods as often as I should
Yep, I'm the same, although I did have a good go at them a couple of months ago. I also gave my Shakey tripod a good clean and service, and I found a good spray of furniture polish did wonders for making the legs slide in & out easier, and it helps to repel dirt & sand too.

Yep, I'm the same, although I did have a good go at them a couple of months ago. I also gave my Shakey tripod a good clean and service, and I found a good spray of furniture polish did wonders for making the legs slide in & out easier, and it helps to repel dirt & sand too.
Yep, much like yourself I expect, I’m too knackered when I come in to bother with cleaning gear.
Then I forget until the next time I go fishing and the whole process is repeated

Stan is right about quality. I do a lot of repairs so see a selection of rods new and old and the guides on most of the newer rods are appalling. Needs more than furniture spray to protect them but it doesn't really matter as they won't last more than a couple of years anyway.

Yep, much like yourself I expect, I’m too knackered when I come in to bother with cleaning gear.
Then I forget until the next time I go fishing and the whole process is repeated
I always take a bucket fishing! Never go fishing without a bucket! Handy for rinsing hands or cleaning any fish you intend to keep, and at the end of a session, anything dirty like cutting board, knife, cloths and the end tackle gets chucked in the bucket for a wash at home. I usually try to rinse reels off too, especially after the last beach trip when a huge clump of weed pulled the tripod & rods over, and the lot got covered in sand.

I always take a bucket fishing! Never go fishing without a bucket! Handy for rinsing hands or cleaning any fish you intend to keep, and at the end of a session, anything dirty like cutting board, knife, cloths and the end tackle gets chucked in the bucket for a wash at home. I usually try to rinse reels off too, especially after the last beach trip when a huge clump of weed pulled the tripod & rods over, and the lot got covered in sand.
Lol, my knife etc barely gets cleaned from one month to the next.
But it all goes in the shed so the only one bothered by any smell is me.
Don’t usually carry a bucket, mainly just to cut down on things to carry.

Reels don’t get cleaned that often either ? but yes I’d do them if they got sandy

Warm water and fairy liquid, then rinsed off. Don't see the point of sprays or waxes.

Back