• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New Mono advice .35

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As we tend be creatures of habit I currently use a 20lb mono main line @.40 to fish over clean/mixed ground using FS.

I'm thinking of going down to 18lb @.35/37 just to have a smaller diameter line and possibly adding a few extra yards on the cast without compromising to much much on strength đź’Ş

Any suggestions on good 18lb mono around .35/37?

As we tend be creatures of habit I currently use a 20lb mono main line @.40 to fish over clean/mixed ground using FS.

I'm thinking of going down to 18lb @.35/37 just to have a smaller diameter line and possibly adding a few extra yards on the cast without compromising to much much on strength đź’Ş

Any suggestions on good 18lb mono around .35/37?

As @FishAmaniac said in the other thread, I don't think 2Lb will make much difference. You're talking about a difference of 0.04mm.

Regardless of breaking strain, most of my Mono line lately has been Asso Ultracast. I've had a quick look and they only do it in 16Lb or 20Lb.
The 20Lb is only 0.37mm anyway.

I
As @FishAmaniac said in the other thread, I don't think 2Lb will make much difference. You're talking about a difference of 0.04mm.

Regardless of breaking strain, most of my Mono line lately has been Asso Ultracast. I've had a quick look and they only do it in 16Lb or 20Lb.
The 20Lb is only 0.37mm anyway.

I know maybee i should have worded the question better lol as in im looking for a lower diameter Mono with similar B/S currently using the Varivas 20Lb they so do an 18 @0.37 as well just wondering would the diammater mate a difference with casting ?

I

I know maybee i should have worded the question better lol as in im looking for a lower diameter Mono with similar B/S currently using the Varivas 20Lb they so do an 18 @0.37 as well just wondering would the diammater mate a difference with casting ?
I am currently trying out the new Trabucco XPS Mastercast line It is ultra low diameter (18.4lb bs is just 0.25mm) but I have only used it once so it's too early to be giving a review. It's not cheap though.

I

As mentioned, I don't think 0.04mm would make enough difference to worry about.

Here you go, 8 strand braid.

I think it was you that mentioned Dorisea before Thrash. I bought 500m of 60Lb but haven't got around to putting it on a spare spool yet.

I am currently trying out the new Trabucco XPS Mastercast line It is ultra low diameter (18.4lb bs is just 0.25mm) but I have only used it once so it's too early to be giving a review. It's not cheap though.

That's not a bad price for 1200m Will. That would probably spool up 4 reels.

I

Braid would offer the biggest difference to casting. A good quality 60-80lb braid will cast as good as if not better than 20lb nylon. It will also give you the strength needed to pull your gear from the rougher ground. No need for a shock leader either.

The cheaper braids recommended above are fine if distance isn't a priority. If you want max distance look at daiwa j braid grand, whiplash or something similar. More expensive, but will perform much better at long-range fishing.

Oh keep me posted on how you get on with it. That the sort of thing I was looking for đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

The cheaper braids recommended above are fine if distance isn't a priority. If you want max distance look at daiwa j braid grand, whiplash or something similar. More expensive, but will perform much better at long-range fishing.

I like the use of braid on my FS for lure fishing. Had a bad experience with braid on a larger spool once and has put me off using it since, never say never and with the development of these new braids things might be different these days 🤔🤔🤔

I like the use of braid on my FS for lure fishing. Had a bad experience with braid on a larger spool once and has put me off using it since, never say never and with the development of these new braids things might be different these days 🤔🤔🤔
I have used it exclusively for over 10 years now. Absolutely no issues. No problem with breakages or tangles. Doesn't suffer from twist like nylon does either.
Make sure when loading spools I'd done under sufficient tension. Then maybe have a couple of casts with just a plain lead before going for it with a rig for the 1st time. Once it's bedded correctly on the spool you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously, don't overfill your spool either.

I have used it exclusively for over 10 years now. Absolutely no issues. No problem with breakages or tangles. Doesn't suffer from twist like nylon does either.
Make sure when loading spools I'd done under sufficient tension. Then maybe have a couple of casts with just a plain lead before going for it with a rig for the 1st time. Once it's bedded correctly on the spool you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously, don't overfill your spool either.
Is that with the Daiwa J braid Grand?

I only use Diawa Sensor mono with a multiplier off the beach, never had a problem so can't comment on coffee grinders and braid.

I’ve just bought some of that.

Back