• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New Mono advice .35

I think it was you that mentioned Dorisea before Thrash. I bought 500m of 60Lb but haven't got around to putting it on a spare spool yet.

Aye, it was Jackjock that got me on to it originally.

Beware the prestretched (ie prestressed) copolymers if you need any sort of abrasion or shock resistance. All this marketeer driven chat of 'super mono' has been seen long before - remember Drennan "double strength" and all its subsequent follow-ons? (They still have absolutely no place in my UK seafishing; very selective freshwater uses yes, sometimes) The selling of the idea that thinner (or invisible in the case of Fluorocarbon) is best is generally bunkem. Particularly so with C26 nylons. Likewise with braid. You simply cannot have all things all ways. Standard mono from a good spool from a decent maker is good, tried and tested. Just get used to its properties and adjust your tactics and tackle choices accordingly. Even10lb trad mono when tied with good knots can land monsters. The yanks have made a sad and needless competition out of it - look at the IGFA record list😳 It just isn't on to overplay fish and risk leaving tackle behind unnecessarily, so I choose to fish a bit (50% plus) heavier than 'needed' so as to factor in a good safety margin.

Not seen him about for a while?
Don't think he is even a member on here Mr Fish ?..Still posts on the dark side I believe. (y)

Ian.

I

I know maybee i should have worded the question better lol as in im looking for a lower diameter Mono with similar B/S currently using the Varivas 20Lb they so do an 18 @0.37 as well just wondering would the diammater mate a difference with casting ?
I use Asso Ultra Cast on all my multis, 16lb .32, they do 20lb .36 as well.. (y)

Ian.

As we tend be creatures of habit I currently use a 20lb mono main line @.40 to fish over clean/mixed ground using FS.

I'm thinking of going down to 18lb @.35/37 just to have a smaller diameter line and possibly adding a few extra yards on the cast without compromising to much much on strength 💪

Any suggestions on good 18lb mono around .35/37?
Why do you use 20lb line over cleanish ground?
I use Asso ultra cast 14lb with a 60lb leader over clean ground without any issues for years.

Why do you use 20lb line over cleanish ground?
I use Asso ultra cast 14lb with a 60lb leader over clean ground without any issues for years.
Why not, most anglers go by diameter these days, and if you use Asso, you will know they have 20lb line in .36, and the normal diameter for 15lb being .35. I use Asso Ultra cast 16lb at .32. (y)

Ian.

Think i use the 14 lb ultracast orange for clean stuff...0.32mm think it measures.👍
.32 is the 16lb which I use. 14lb is .30 (y)

Ian.

Why not, most anglers go by diameter these days, and if you use Asso, you will know they have 20lb line in .36, and the normal diameter for 15lb being .35. I use Asso Ultra cast 16lb at .32. (y)

Ian.
Was more an enquiry than any criticism, but as you mention diameter I guess so.
I’ve never really considered using a bs that high so I only really look at diameter in the lower bs’s 👍

Was more an enquiry than any criticism, but as you mention diameter I guess so.
I’ve never really considered using a bs that high so I only really look at diameter in the lower bs’s 👍
Didn't think it was a criticism, breaking strain is old school these days.. (y) I use Asso Ultra Cast on all of my reels these days, mostly the .32 16lb, but also use the .36 20lb at times for the slightly mixed ground work.

And a belated welcome to TSF..:)

Ian.

Didn't think it was a criticism, breaking strain is old school these days.. (y) I use Asso Ultra Cast on all of my reels these days, mostly the .32 16lb, but also use the .36 20lb at times for the slightly mixed ground work.

And a belated welcome to TSF..:)

Ian.
Thanks Ian,
Thought I’d have a look and get involved

Thanks Ian,
Thought I’d have a look and get involved
We are a very friendly bunch on here, lots of banter. :) And a lot of knowledgeable anglers too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

.32 is the 16lb which I use. 14lb is .30 (y)

Ian.
I def use the 14lb...by 0.32 that would be actual measurement with a mic....it was from memory 🤔...so could be 0.31mm....normally the ultracast, along with most lines measure more than stated.... mono lines are mostly 0.01-0.02 mm more....braided lines..... bloody whatever they feel like when printing a label 😆👍

Back