• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New Mono advice .35

Oh then you have the American and euro stated breaking strains.... different dia's /same BS...due to a straight break against knot strength i believe ive read? ..... minefield line BS!

I def use the 14lb...by 0.32 that would be actual measurement with a mic....it was from memory 🤔...so could be 0.31mm....normally the ultracast, along with most lines measure more than stated.... mono lines are mostly 0.01-0.02 mm more....braided lines..... bloody whatever they feel like when printing a label 😆👍
We wont split hairs Si.. 🤣

Ian.

Oh then you have the American and euro stated breaking strains.... different dia's /same BS...due to a straight break against knot strength i believe ive read? ..... minefield line BS!
The bloody Yanks have to be different don't they Si 🤣

Ian.

The bloody Yanks have to be different don't they Si 🤣

Ian.
Lol....of course they do!.....just buy using dia for your given circumstances.....much easier than misleading braking strains 👍

Oh fluro is nice for great abrasion resistance and stiffness....use for some snoods, and lure leaders 👍

Lol....of course they do!.....just buy using dia for your given circumstances.....much easier than misleading braking strains 👍

Oh fluro is nice for great abrasion resistance and stiffness....use for snoods, and lure leaders 👍
Line manufacturers need to state the Diameter as a minimum or maximum I think..

Ian.

I've always found line breaking strain very misleading and am more interested in wet knot strength. I got all anorak once and conducted some testing using a calibrated set of scales and a 56lb weight immersed into a large barrel of water to 'wet knot' test different lines, using three different types of knot on all and repeating the test with each line ten times. The results were staggering in range, with some lines breaking at less than 50% of their stated strength.

Asso, Sufix and Diawa Sensor all broke well over their stated breaking strain and not always at the knot.

I'm sure there are many other lines that are as good but I only tested about twelve.

Most 4oz spools of line will fill a multi about 3 times, as long as your not using tow rope size line.. (y)

Ian.

I've always found line breaking strain very misleading and am more interested in wet knot strength. I got all anorak once and conducted some testing using a calibrated set of scales and a 56lb weight immersed into a large barrel of water to 'wet knot' test different lines, using three different types of knot on all and repeating the test with each line ten times. The results were staggering in range, with some lines breaking at less than 50% of their stated strength.

Asso, Sufix and Diawa Sensor all broke well over their stated breaking strain and not always at the knot.

I'm sure there are many other lines that are as good but I only tested about twelve.
Was that before or after they changed your medication..?

Well you should be, interesting subject flappy... 🤣 🤣

Ian.
About as interesting as reading one of mad max`s posts. B strain has served me fine for well over 60 years, you lot go around with calipers if you want, not me. Most 4oz spools will fill a multi 3 times will they ? See how you get on with a 4oz spool on one of these (that`s an Abu 7000 inside it):ROFLMAO:P1150476.JPGP1150481.JPG

Last edited:
About as interesting as reading one of mad max`s posts. B strain has served me fine for well over 60 years, you lot go around with calipers if you want, not me. Most 4oz spools will fill a multi 3 times will they ? See how you get on with a 4oz spool on one of these (that`s an Abu 7000 inside it):ROFLMAO:View attachment 55448View attachment 55450
That looks like a tool for hoisting barrels of bricks up a tower..👍

That looks like a tool for hoisting barrels of bricks up a tower..👍
Nup largest production reel in the world, 20/0. Holds around 2600mtrs of 130lb test (feck the dia.) or 3500mtrs of 80 test. Used for black marlin and six gills off the Azores in 8000 plus ft, (he uses a breeze block with a breakaway set up as a weight). One of the black marlin emptied some 2500 mtrs on the first run against a drag of close on 100lbs in a chair.

Somebody made a 1 off 24/0 out of a Senator , increased spool width etc. i.e. custom build but it didn`t last long.

About as interesting as reading one of mad max`s posts. B strain has served me fine for well over 60 years, you lot go around with calipers if you want, not me. Most 4oz spools will fill a multi 3 times will they ? See how you get on with a 4oz spool on one of these (that`s an Abu 7000 inside it):ROFLMAO:View attachment 55448View attachment 55450
I was joking Stan.. ;)

Ian.

Also, I would like to see you pendulum casting with the Gold reel.. ;)

Ian.

Back