• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Norway Place

I've fished in many places around the world, but you will not catch as many fish or the quality of fish as you will in Norway

During the summer you can expect to catch Cod to 50lb, Coafish to 30lb, Halibut in excess of 100lb, Plaice to 8lbs and Haddock to 10lbs and have most of these
Have you ever been to Vancouver Island or Alaska fishing?

Have you ever been to Vancouver Island or Alaska fishing?
I have been chatting to some guys in Alaska for a while about a trip and its on the cards over the next couple of years.
I have not fished Vancouver but I know that the halibut fishing has been in decline now for a decade.
The Alaskan halibut fishing does look interesting but you risk is weather, you hit a week with big winds you are going no where..... theres no inlets or fjords the fish are generally in the deep blue.
But the chance to catch a lot of big fish will inevitably mean I will go.
I like the fly, drive, hotel format of Canadian fishing and have done a lot of trips over the last 25 years.

I have been chatting to some guys in Alaska for a while about a trip and its on the cards over the next couple of years.
I have not fished Vancouver but I know that the halibut fishing has been in decline now for a decade.
The Alaskan halibut fishing does look interesting but you risk is weather, you hit a week with big winds you are going no where..... theres no inlets or fjords the fish are generally in the deep blue.
But the chance to catch a lot of big fish will inevitably mean I will go.
I like the fly, drive, hotel format of Canadian fishing and have done a lot of trips over the last 25 years.
If the halibut fishing is slow you can always try for king/sockey salmon etc. Or ling cod.

If the halibut fishing is slow you can always try for king/sockey salmon etc. Or ling cod.
How did you get on for them?.

The halibut fishing in the far north of Alaska comes with different bycatch, the bycatch is a problem.
Cod are the biggest problem.
You can end up having to deadbait a 4lb cod just to keep the other cod off your halibut bait. Even then you still get super sized cod which is a pain.
If you put a lure down you are unlikely to get past the bycatch to get a halibut..... its a unique and interesting problem.

I was offered a trip at Vancouver Island but it worked out about £250 each for four hours 😳
Someone saw you coming, far too expensive imo. I paid 250 CAD for a weeks fishing.

Yep god knows, the skipper was trying to sign us up in the pub lol.

We went whale watching instead - and saw plenty of humpbacks 🤗
You shouldn't talk about your misses like that ;)

Back to Torsvag next year. Shorter flight.

I have fished Tofino - Vancouver Island in British Columbia - trolling for halibut & Salmon at sea. Whales everywhere. Great fun & an odd mixture of catch - halibut - King Salmon - Koho salmon. Recommend it as part of a holiday. Nothing cheap in North America !

Back to Torsvag next year. Shorter flight.

I have fished Tofino - Vancouver Island in British Columbia - trolling for halibut & Salmon at sea. Whales everywhere. Great fun & an odd mixture of catch - halibut - King Salmon - Koho salmon. Recommend it as part of a holiday. Nothing cheap in North America !
Yep it was in Tofino where the skipper tried to sign us up.

My mates said they’d go as they’d dragged me drowning, sorry I mean surfing!

I said nah, not paying that for a few hours, let’s just do the whales instead. That was about £40 each or something.
Worth it though, saw loads.

Back