• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Norway Place

We had a go for plaice one morning at a mark given to us. . We only had one small one using squid. Problem was little codling grabbing both baits. Our best has been 6lb but rest have been much less than that. Also told cooked prawns are a good bait. Best of luck with the big one !

We had some mackerel on coalie rigs- so they are "up north".
I think using fish strips for bait will also catch Cod, Coalies and small Butts, but if it can catch bigger Plaice I'm happy to give it a go, but will take 100 Black Lug in case.

In 10 years fishing in Norway I've only had 4 Mackerel caught on feathers intended for small Coalie's to used as bait.

We had a go for plaice one morning at a mark given to us. . We only had one small one using squid. Problem was little codling grabbing both baits. Our best has been 6lb but rest have been much less than that. Also told cooked prawns are a good bait. Best of luck with the big one !

We had some mackerel on coalie rigs- so they are "up north".
They are a good bait, that’s all we’ve ever used, just buy them at the local supermarket.
The whole ones are best

Btw we took squid once and didn’t seem to work but tbh I don’t think it was the right spot. That was our first ever Norway trip many years ago and people were more interested in trying to get halibut, which is understandable

Double figure plaice is on the cards Pete as long as we can get through the nuisance 5-6lbers and halibut…….@chesilpete
Well thanks to Nige we found a spot where the big plaice were in numbers and enjoyed a couple of goes at them....
Best was over 8.5lb most were over 6lb.
I cant thank @Leginfisher Nigel enough after many many years of chasing plaice it was certainly an ambition fulfilled.
IMG-20230820-WA0009.jpg

Great catch Pete, you certainly got amongst some nice Plaice, what bait were you using.

The Plaice fishing in Norway is very underestimated and not that many anglers fish for them, but I'm sure that there are a lot of marks that haven't even been found yet and I'm always looking for new marks when I go to Sandland

Great catch Pete, you certainly got amongst some nice Plaice, what bait were you using.

The Plaice fishing in Norway is very underestimated and not that many anglers fish for them, but I'm sure that there are a lot of marks that haven't even been found yet and I'm always looking for new marks when I go to Sandland
If you take black lug the best thing you can do with it is stir fry it.
These fish are capable of taking a 6/0 with a 4in long mack strip all the way down their bollox.
I cannot imagine any circumstances where they would recognise or want a black lug.

If you take black lug the best thing you can do with it is stir fry it.
These fish are capable of taking a 6/0 with a 4in long mack strip all the way down their bollox.
I cannot imagine any circumstances where they would recognise or want a black lug.
Interesting, I've always used Black Lug, but will certainly try fish strips during the next trip, although Coalfish is easier to catch than Mackerel

Interesting, I've always used Black Lug, but will certainly try fish strips during the next trip, although Coalfish is easier to catch than Mackerel
Oh no they aren’t🤣. We were hauling strings of 5-6 all 1lb plus when trying to get to the coalies below on numerous occasions. Global warming to thank.

Oh no they aren’t🤣. We were hauling strings of 5-6 all 1lb plus when trying to get to the coalies below on numerous occasions. Global warming to thank.
But were you at Sandland, I've only ever caught about half a dozen in the 8 years I've been going there and it's not through lack of trying

But were you at Sandland, I've only ever caught about half a dozen in the 8 years I've been going there and it's not through lack of trying
Catch a few fresh ones here strip them freeze them and take them.... I dont think they are fussy just greedy.
We had quite a few maks when the tide was running full bore in the main channel just left of the main Sandland fjord.

Well thanks to Nige we found a spot where the big plaice were in numbers and enjoyed a couple of goes at them....
Best was over 8.5lb most were over 6lb.
I cant thank @Leginfisher Nigel enough after many many years of chasing plaice it was certainly an ambition fulfilled.
View attachment 50392
Absolute beauties!! And I mean the fish

They must be around. Had plenty a Skjervoy. What sort of marks are you fishing for them at Sandland?

Great plaice. Well done.
Envious !
The pics dont really do them justice.... when the first 8lb er came onboard I was shocked how thick they are.
They alone were worth the trip but unfortunately much much harder to find than last year according to Nige.
All those fish and our mates in the other boat came from an area 50 x 40 yards...... and they were not where Nigel had found them last year.
Hopefully there are other pockets to be found out in the deep.
My ambition this trip was big plaice so I am made up.

The pics dont really do them justice.... when the first 8lb er came onboard I was shocked how thick they are.
They alone were worth the trip but unfortunately much much harder to find than last year according to Nige.
All those fish and our mates in the other boat came from an area 50 x 40 yards...... and they were not where Nigel had found them last year.
Hopefully there are other pockets to be found out in the deep.
My ambition this trip was big plaice so I am made up.
Yep cracking fish there Pete, well done!

Back