• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod license

The mate whose Stag weekend I was on, (sadly now RIP) was a prolific Carp angler and used to run a big Tackle shop in Staines. He arranged the weekend, I didn't have any gear (was only there for the Beer!) but used his occasionally over the weekend.
It was a private lake, and no mention was made of needing a licence. I see the point of having a licence for River, Canal, and similar, but if you're fishing on a Lake owned by a private person, I don't see the need? Anyway, that was about 30 years ago!
Yea i wouldnt of bothered either for a one off (y) But yes even private still waters you still require a rod license, may seem silly but thats the law (y)

The mate whose Stag weekend I was on, (sadly now RIP) was a prolific Carp angler and used to run a big Tackle shop in Staines. He arranged the weekend, I didn't have any gear (was only there for the Beer!) but used his occasionally over the weekend.
It was a private lake, and no mention was made of needing a licence. I see the point of having a licence for River, Canal, and similar, but if you're fishing on a Lake owned by a private person, I don't see the need? Anyway, that was about 30 years ago!
I’m phoning crime stoppers

EA are a complete waste of space with most of your rod license money going on bums on seats, they do feck all for the fisherman or fishery. When we had problems a couple years ago with lack of oxygen due to a crash they came out and took readings and did feck all about fish deaths, we had to sort it ourselves. As a club they have well over 300k off us every year through members rod licenses and they have not lifted a finger for the clubs waters when theres been a problem. Even my friend who works for them was gobsmacked that they didnt help and agrees that the money is wasted on alot of things apart from what it should go towards www.shropshirestar.com/news/environment/2021/07/10/rescue-effort-to-save-prized-carp-from-being-wiped-out-at-shropshire-lake/

Last edited:
Sorry dont think my link was working so altered it. Thats me and my son on the pump with the owner of the lake in the middle.

Sorry dont think my link was working so altered it. Thats me and my son on the pump with the owner of the lake in the middle.
Working fine now Rich. Well done - I think I remember you mentioning this a while ago. 👍👍

Yea i wouldnt of bothered either for a one off (y) But yes even private still waters you still require a rod license, may seem silly but thats the law (y)
So does that mean if I lived in Englandshire or Wales and owned a property that had a pond large enough to fish I would need to buy a rod license.?

So does that mean if I lived in Englandshire or Wales and owned a property that had a pond large enough to fish I would need to buy a rod license.?
Yes it does, bloody stupid i know. You lucky chaps in Scotland dont require a rod license but theres been talk of introducing one. The chances of you getting caught fishing your own pond is very slim as its mainly day ticket and club waters they concentrate on.

Yes it does, bloody stupid i know. You lucky chaps in Scotland dont require a rod license but theres been talk of introducing one. The chances of you getting caught fishing your own pond is very slim as its mainly day ticket and club waters they concentrate on.
But unlike in Scotland we are allowed to fish on Sundays

Not sure but years ago if you were carrying a rod equipped to go fishing (not actually fishing at the waterside) you also could be done for not having license.

Not sure but years ago if you were carrying a rod equipped to go fishing (not actually fishing at the waterside) you also could be done for not having license.
Correct mate, “intent to fish” was an offence - probably still is

We can fish on a Sunday if it's a commercial trout fishery, just not allowed to fish for Salmon and sea trout. Also we have no close season for course fishing up here.
Only really the rivers and sssi waters which have a closed season here now. Most waters you can fish all year round now 👍

Back