• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod license

There is certainly a lack of specimen carp waters in Scotland and alot of that is to do with temperatures as they just dont grow on.
What about peaty waters, as i would imagine it would be like that there?
I know some years ago a fishing club leased one of our Company reservoirs and stocked it with brown trout and they all died as a result of peaty water.

Edit Rainbow trout not brown.

Last edited:
I know some years ago a fishing club leased one of our Company reservoirs and stocked it with brown trout and they all died as a result of peaty water.
Yea alot are peaty, the trout seem to survive ok, I fish alot of wild hill lochs in scotland for the wild brownies and they seem to survive ok. We have caught in nothing more than a big puddle really, only very small fish but truly wild.

Edit Rainbow trout not brown.
This was in a piece of water around 15 feet in diameter miles from anywhere 🤣Screenshot_20230117-121040_Gallery.jpg

There is certainly a lack of specimen carp waters in Scotland and alot of that is to do with temperatures as they just dont grow on.
I suppose it depends on your definition of what a "specimen" carp is. I know that there are a few 20lb+ carp that have been caught through in Glasgow in the canal. Here in Edinburgh, Duddingston Loch in the Queens Park contains carp, biggest I've heard of was just over 18lb and these fish are near as makes no difference wild fish.

I suppose it depends on your definition of what a "specimen" carp is. I know that there are a few 20lb+ carp that have been caught through in Glasgow in the canal. Here in Edinburgh, Duddingston Loch in the Queens Park contains carp, biggest I've heard of was just over 18lb and these fish are near as makes no difference wild fish.
Would rather catch a wild carp of 20lb than a stocked pond pig 👍

A 20lb canal carp is a specimen wherever you catch it, mate, I’d be buzzing catching that! Hats off to the angler involved

Would rather catch a wild carp of 20lb than a stocked pond pig 👍
My Carp fishing started as a young teenager in the late 60's, and carried on until the late 80's, so when it suddenly became popular in the UK with all the instant experts, I sort of lost interest.

For the last 15 years my carp passion was catching French river carp, often in areas where there was reported to be no carp !

My biggest is a 52lb Common from the Noir in Charente Maritime / Vendee, the area is better known as 'Green Venice' or 'The Marais poitevin'

Last edited:
I've followed this thread since it was posted and I'm tormenting myself, I'm in the position of just grabbing the very neat tidy telescopic kit my wife bought me for Christmas and hitting the nearby DEARA public estates waters. All self contained no need for this reel and that rod. DEARA game doesn't start until march but coarse is all year. So I can get the rod permit for coarse and start fishing right away, scope out the trout while there then if I'm happy enough get the game license at £77 which also covers me for sea trout but not salmon. Obviously for the sea trout I'll swap back over to my sea gear.

I know where and when they come back in upstream but it's tight for time and morally females I'd have to release. It's a long time since I had a game license and back then it covered me for all waters including council stocked lakes. Now, one mistake or too far past the marker at point X could cost me a fine. Bollocks I'll wing it buy the coarse license online, scope out the closest trout run while there. It's all good, 4 brownies per day 2 sea trout when I get the game license. I have until March to get my shizzle on.

I've followed this thread since it was posted and I'm tormenting myself, I'm in the position of just grabbing the very neat tidy telescopic kit my wife bought me for Christmas and hitting the nearby DEARA public estates waters. All self contained no need for this reel and that rod. DEARA game doesn't start until march but coarse is all year. So I can get the rod permit for coarse and start fishing right away, scope out the trout while there then if I'm happy enough get the game license at £77 which also covers me for sea trout but not salmon. Obviously for the sea trout I'll swap back over to my sea gear.

I know where and when they come back in upstream but it's tight for time and morally females I'd have to release. It's a long time since I had a game license and back then it covered me for all waters including council stocked lakes. Now, one mistake or too far past the marker at point X could cost me a fine. Bollocks I'll wing it buy the coarse license online, scope out the closest trout run while there. It's all good, 4 brownies per day 2 sea trout when I get the game license. I have until March to get my shizzle on.
o_O :unsure: You go for it !!!!!

I can't understand the EA removing sales from the Post Office as all it does is encourage those that used to buy their licence that way to either not bother and poach or to not fish. They could have easily added 50p on to shop bought licences to cover any fee the PO might charge.

When it comes to not buying a licence or trying to evade payment when fishing, I have no time for anyone that does or tells others to do so. They deserve to be caught and fined the maximum.

Easy just buy online Kine - simples

Easy just buy online Kine - simples
Easy for 85 to 90% of the population Beach, but there are a few out there, such as my elderly (80 year old) relative that won’t be able to use the internet. He still collects his pension from the post office, walks down to the council house once a month to pay his council tax and to the PO every three months to pay his electric bill. I will offer to pay it online for him but I already know what he will say.

He is not alone!

Easy for 85 to 90% of the population Beach, but there are a few out there, such as my elderly (80 year old) relative that won’t be able to use the internet. He still collects his pension from the post office, walks down to the council house once a month to pay his council tax and to the PO every three months to pay his electric bill. I will offer to pay it online for him but I already know what he will say.

He is not alone!
There are hundreds of us!!

He is not alone!

Does he have debit or credit card to pay by phone.

Back