• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod Tip Lighting

Decent headtorch & reflective tape is good, but I also sometimes use glow-stick tip lights.
Cheap as chips when Lidl have got their fishing bits in store.
Bought a length of 3mm inside diameter clear silicone tubing from eBay, and hot glue or sellotape a short bit onto the top of the rod tip just behind the tip eye. Glow stick slides securely into the tubing.
As @richtic said, pop them in the freezer when you get home, and they last for ages.

Has anyone used star lights as part of a rig at night..?
Not me, but I know you can use them on top of a float for night float fishing.

As I said above I am probably going to opt for reflective tape and therefore will need a head lamp to go with that set up and bearing in mind other comments about not flooding the surf with light came across this unit

I did a search for best fishing headlamp and this one was their no 1 choice

Your thoughts please guys (Bear in mind I will probably have a LED lamp up around my gear / tackle box)

As I said above I am probably going to opt for reflective tape and therefore will need a head lamp to go with that set up and bearing in mind other comments about not flooding the surf with light came across this unit

Your thoughts please guys (Bear in mind I will probably have a LED lamp up around my gear / tackle box)
I've got that lamp does the job for me battery will do a couple of sessions no problem. 👍

Looks quite good. Not sure about the option of a Green light - most of the dual colour headlamps have a Red light? Ridgemonkey seems quite a good brand and has got some good reviews. Not a bad price either.

However, I wouldn't buy it - not near as bright as the one I have, and the biggest killer for me is the lack of being able to change the battery or fit a spare.

Looks quite good. Not sure about the option of a Green light - most of the dual colour headlamps have a Red light? Ridgemonkey seems quite a good brand and has got some good reviews. Not a bad price either.

However, I wouldn't buy it - not near as bright as the one I have, and the biggest killer for me is the lack of being able to change the battery or fit a spare.
It is rechargeable although you don't appear to get the charger with it as it assumes you should have a compatible charger indoors somewhere

For me it's mainly for checking the rod tips and to some degree baiting up. I already have another headset for say getting to the fishing location / checking to make sure you have picked everything up when you leave and will also be using the lantern, I bought in dimmed mode up by where I am sitting

I do appreciate your reply though

Get a fenix head torch. 2 modes with 3 settings. Bloody bright and rechargable, also has usb… ideal for charging your phone. Battery last forever aswel

how long does it last on full power, because you will be running it on full power.... can you get a spare battery.... we are all using led lenser h19r models. Yes they are the ones that light up the entire beach, but funnily enough we dont put them on full power when bassing.
They last 12 full hours on medium and on full power you can find a fish in the surf.
Expensive.... yes.... worth it yes.
Buying a cheap headlamp is buying trouble. That goes flat and you have a walk across structure in the rain on your own you will wish you spent the extra.
I also like the h14r2 which come up 2nd hand for 70 quid ish.... the best thing about those is that they are durable and reliable and you can keep a sealed pack or duracells in your box which will save ur ass if you have an issue.

how long does it last on full power, because you will be running it on full power.... can you get a spare battery.... we are all using led lenser h19r models. Yes they are the ones that light up the entire beach, but funnily enough we dont put them on full power when bassing.
They last 12 full hours on medium and on full power you can find a fish in the surf.
Expensive.... yes.... worth it yes.
Buying a cheap headlamp is buying trouble. That goes flat and you have a walk across structure in the rain on your own you will wish you spent the extra.
I also like the h14r2 which come up 2nd hand for 70 quid ish.... the best thing about those is that they are durable and reliable and you can keep a sealed pack or duracells in your box which will save ur ass if you have an issue.
I have just spoken to a tech bod at Ridgemonkey and they said expect 80 hours on FULL output and 120 hours plus on mid output Green mode.

On the downside the batteries are sealed in so pointless taking spares along ... but who needs to with 80 hours or more

Ridge Monkeys number should anyone have any other questions is 0151 486 7070

I have just spoken to a tech bod at Ridgemonkey and they said expect 80 hours on FULL output and 120 hours plus on mid output Green mode.

On the downside the batteries are sealed in so pointless taking spares along ... but who needs to with 80 hours or more

Ridge Monkeys number should anyone have any other questions is 0151 486 7070
80 hours on full power thats good but this head torch is 160 lumins if you have long arms you will not be able to see your hands very well.
I try and give good advice as far as I can, there is no such thing as having too much light........... you can dial it back........there is however a problem not having enough light especially on a cold nasty beach with spray flying about.

When I need it I have 3500 lumins of light to find a fish in the surf......... you have 160........ when I am untangling my line from my mates which does happen I can see with absolute clarity whats going on.
There is another distinct and very important issue.
If yours is a basic spot light type light close up work is a fanny, with a flood light lens its easy, if you are a spectacle wearer you will find a pair of dirty specs is an absolute mare with a spot verses flood.

Anyway its your money not mine......... buy the ridgemonkey head candle, it will probably just about be a reasonable spare, but you will buy again and quite quickly.

If you dont think size matters...... I can assure you 50% of the world population thinks it does!:!

80 hours on full power thats good but this head torch is 160 lumins if you have long arms you will not be able to see your hands very well.
I try and give good advice as far as I can, there is no such thing as having too much light........... you can dial it back........there is however a problem not having enough light especially on a cold nasty beach with spray flying about.

When I need it I have 3500 lumins of light to find a fish in the surf......... you have 160........ when I am untangling my line from my mates which does happen I can see with absolute clarity whats going on.
There is another distinct and very important issue.
If yours is a basic spot light type light close up work is a fanny, with a flood light lens its easy, if you are a spectacle wearer you will find a pair of dirty specs is an absolute mare with a spot verses flood.

Anyway its your money not mine......... buy the ridgemonkey head candle, it will probably just about be a reasonable spare.

If you dont think size matters...... I can assure you 50% of the world population thinks it does!:!
Thanks Pete, I really do appreciate your help ... honest . Just exploring options

Thanks Pete, I really do appreciate your help ... honest . Just exploring options
If you could get that for 80 quid then thats all your headlamp problems solved, the warranty is absolutely legendary by the way and thats worth a few quid because when you stick something in salt spray for a number of hours then you may well need the warranty.

You can carry a pack of 4 duracells and thats a get out of jail free card.

Only advice I would give with this model is look after the charge port a bit of vaseline and always close the silicon cover. Mine lasted 5 years which is around 150 long sessions and in the end I killed it through misuse.

It does not have a flood light setting as such but you can pull the focus back so far it will do that function.

If you could get that for 80 quid then thats all your headlamp problems solved, the warranty is absolutely legendary by the way and thats worth a few quid because when you stick something in salt spray for a number of hours then you may well need the warranty.

You can carry a pack of 4 duracells and thats a get out of jail free card.

Only advice I would give with this model is look after the charge port a bit of vaseline and always close the silicon cover. Mine lasted 5 years which is around 150 long sessions and in the end I killed it through misuse.

It does not have a flood light setting as such but you can pull the focus back so far it will do that function.
Spooky! I just bid £90 for it as there was already a bid in.... this was before you mentioned it (y)

I havnt but keep meaning to in the muddy Humber. Cannot work out how to secure them though…
Maybe a bit of the 3mm clear silicone tube I mentioned earlier, with the line through it, and slide the Starlight into it?

Has anyone used star lights as part of a rig at night..?
Yes, I have used glow sticks on the hook length just above the bait and had a good result.
I was fishing Ramsgate East pier one night with my now ex girlfriend and neither of us had caught a thing. It was an easterly blowing and normally I wouldn't have gone but she wanted to go so we did, mainly because you could fish out of the back of the car so not much faffing around.
I decided that I was going to try a glow stick as nothing else was tempting the fish. I had a two hook flapper with lug on both hooks and put it on the top hook and cast out. I had a bite within a minute and landed a whiting. Cast out again and another one. changed the glow stick to the bottom hook and had another fish on that one. Girlfriend put a glow stick on and started catching as well. Put a glow stick on both hooklengths and had two fish. Nobody else was catching so I recon it does work. Used them on the boat in daylight and had some success as well.

Back