• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod Tip Lighting

Trouble when out fishing or other things like walking the pooch even? is on uneven ground/rocks/slippery surfaces like weed cover crap Watts is King as try finding your way over slippery rocks esp with spray with ground uneven so next trot could be down a deep hole/gulley leading to you and gear going face surfing! maybe RNLI not even making it in time?
plus you need the distance with light to plan a route as you think that looks ok only to find NO you can't go and getting cut off by tide!
Bristol Channel reef marks are one place.

Trouble when out fishing or other things like walking the pooch even? is on uneven ground/rocks/slippery surfaces like weed cover crap Watts is King as try finding your way over slippery rocks esp with spray with ground uneven so next trot could be down a deep hole/gulley leading to you and gear going face surfing! maybe RNLI not even making it in time?
plus you need the distance with light to plan a route as you think that looks ok only to find NO you can't go and getting cut off by tide!
Bristol Channel reef marks are one place.
Yea I have a decent headlight for rocks and absolutely you want to see clearly if traversing uneven terrain.

On beaches though, especially shallow surf beaches, I go for minimal minimal light.
Even if I get a good fish in the surf, I land it in near darkness lol.

Chesil is a bit different as you have the steep drop and backwash etc, so you’d need better light for that.

Generally though I dial my main headlight back to feck all when actually fishing. Which I’ve noticed is way dimmer than most of the other lights on the beach.
But the spot main beam can still take out their retinas if needed 😇

I had one bloke one night lighting up my rod tips from about half a mile away 😂
The people next to him must have been delighted 🙄

I fished one night earlier in the year, my mate had a light shining up his rod i had my headlight, but as and "oldie and fed up of looking at it and cricking my neck

I would go for the bells

Not the cheapest but a UK supplier

Regarding bells on rod tips, don't take them off especially when casting as it warns everyone around that you are about to cast out..
The only thing for bells is in a church or a Town Crier shouting "Oh Yeh, not on a fishing rod. Kin annoying things I hate it when numbnuts with them fish near me :(

Last edited:
80 hours on full power thats good but this head torch is 160 lumins if you have long arms you will not be able to see your hands very well.
I try and give good advice as far as I can, there is no such thing as having too much light........... you can dial it back........there is however a problem not having enough light especially on a cold nasty beach with spray flying about.

When I need it I have 3500 lumins of light to find a fish in the surf......... you have 160........ when I am untangling my line from my mates which does happen I can see with absolute clarity whats going on.
There is another distinct and very important issue.
If yours is a basic spot light type light close up work is a fanny, with a flood light lens its easy, if you are a spectacle wearer you will find a pair of dirty specs is an absolute mare with a spot verses flood.

Anyway its your money not mine......... buy the ridgemonkey head candle, it will probably just about be a reasonable spare, but you will buy again and quite quickly.

If you dont think size matters...... I can assure you 50% of the world population thinks it does!:!
Got to disagree, there is a thing as too much light especially with baits in close. You only have to turn your headlight on whilst wading to see the fish bolt back into the darkness. Also respect for others. Nothing worse than a numpty with a lighthouse on his head fishing next to you and as well as shining his light over your swim he keeps shining it in your eyes and ruining your night vision

Got to disagree, there is a thing as too much light especially with baits in close. You only have to turn your headlight on whilst wading to see the fish bolt back into the darkness. Also respect for others. Nothing worse than a numpty with a lighthouse on his head fishing next to you and as well as shining his light over your swim he keeps shining it in your eyes and ruining your night vision
Oh yes 🙄

I think tbf though Pete does keep it to a minimum when bassing but if he’s fishing chesil and baits are 100 yards plus out, it’s neither here nor there.

That said, for me I don’t even use much light at chesil as I don’t like too much glare reflecting back at me.
As long as I can see enough to watch the rods and bait up etc, I have it set very low.

Last edited:
Oh yes 🙄

I think tbf though Pete does keep it to a minimum when bassing but if he’s fishing chesil and baits are 100 yards plus out, it’s neither here nor there.

They said, for me I don’t even use much light at chesil as I don’t like too much glare reflecting back at me.
As long as I can see enough to watch the rods and bait up etc, I have it set very low.
To be fair I don't fish Chesil, it sounds like my idea of hell a bit. Quite pleased with the Fenix Shadowmaster. I still like chem lights and a decent headlight to get you to your mark if you need it. I like a red flood function as well

Oh yes 🙄

They said, for me I don’t even use much light at chesil as I don’t like too much glare reflecting back at me.
I think Pete's point was that the headlight @Mesmo linked to was a bit under powered. Most decent headlights (My Olight included) have various brightness settings, so you can dim them down, but you can't turn them up if needed, if the output simply isn't there. 160 Lumens Max is very low. I can't remember what mine is, but it's well over 1000 lumens on full power.

I think Pete's point was that the headlight @Mesmo linked to was a bit under powered. Most decent headlights (My Olight included) have various brightness settings, so you can dim them down, but you can't turn them up if needed, if the output simply isn't there. 160 Lumens Max is very low. I can't remember what mine is, but it's well over 1000 lumens on full power.
Oh yes agreed, I wasn’t disagreeing with Pete’s point at all but Valley was making the point you don’t always need too much light.
Or that’s how I read it?

Slightly crossed wires maybe?

I wouldn’t fish chesil or a rock mark or anywhere I needed a powerful beam on occasion without my main light.

Depends on the marks people fish but yes I’d agree the OP’s choice was too underpowered for a main light.

If he/she has cataracts it will be a halo with lights that bright. 😇:ROFLMAO:

Many years ago, Mrs TTE bought me a top of the range mutts nutts best in the world head torch. Cost a goodly lump of cash but it was worth it .
Its old fashioned now , weighs more and is bigger than than the modern micro headtorches, and has a waterproof battery box on the back of the headstrap, but gives a searchlight beam if I need it, or about another 4 different brightnesses, Stadium illumination down to single candle. Also has either a diffuse or spot beam.
Is either rechargeable or also takes off the shelf batteries, has about 24 hrs battery time .
As said earlier, spend as much as you can afford for the best , it will pay you back in reliability .

I always carry a smaller backup Petzle head torch as well, and have never needed it but it has come in useful for the odd idiot who did not bring a light source with him.

I used to use the ever faithful Tilley Lamp, I still have a few different types, Tilley, Relum, Coleman . Good all around light, and you can warm pies on them as well , which is something that headtorches are sadly lacking, now theres a thought for some inventor , a head torch that warms pies.

Dave

Back