• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

trawler fishing

I like fish to eat. I don’t have time or skill to catch them myself. I just buy it..👍
The Thames and Clyde apparently is not good for fishing.

I have watched the trawler fishing programe on bbc2 the last few nights. i know they are repeats but they dont half get my back up to put it mildly.
i thought
the one about the 1.300ton mackerel catch was bad but netting the wreks for pollock and hardly making a wage was the pits. i turned it off
I know its a hard life but it can only get WORSE if they keep hammering the fish " your views"
D.SJ 🦀
Completely agree, I can’t watch them

I have watched the trawler fishing programe on bbc2 the last few nights. i know they are repeats but they dont half get my back up to put it mildly.
i thought
the one about the 1.300ton mackerel catch was bad but netting the wreks for pollock and hardly making a wage was the pits. i turned it off
I know its a hard life but it can only get WORSE if they keep hammering the fish " your views"
D.SJ 🦀
I totally agree with you.

I like fish to eat. I don’t have time or skill to catch them myself. I just buy it..👍
No flying fish in the jungle then? ;)

I watched the first episode last night on the back of this thread. Pretty much sums commercial fishing shown in previous program incarnations both here in the U.K. and America too.
I find it bizarre how people can set forth out into the seas and simply take virtually anything they want. The box system seemed like a step in the right direction, yet judging by the bycatch of starfish, dogfish etc, I wonder how much longer our oceans will last with the damage to the seabed.
There are far less intrusive methods available and I’d like to see trawling banned, the use of Seine nets should be encouraged as to rod and line. Targeting spawning stock is sheer greed and why this practice is allowed is beyond me.
I’ll watch a few more episodes, but I suspect it will be encapsulated by this one brief introduction.

I watched the first episode last night on the back of this thread. Pretty much sums commercial fishing shown in previous program incarnations both here in the U.K. and America too.
I find it bizarre how people can set forth out into the seas and simply take virtually anything they want. The box system seemed like a step in the right direction, yet judging by the bycatch of starfish, dogfish etc, I wonder how much longer our oceans will last with the damage to the seabed.
There are far less intrusive methods available and I’d like to see trawling banned, the use of Seine nets should be encouraged as to rod and line. Targeting spawning stock is sheer greed and why this practice is allowed is beyond me.
I’ll watch a few more episodes, but I suspect it will be encapsulated by this one brief introduction.
I will never understand the trawling rules !!.It seems to me they do & go wherever they want.

Going by what I've read in this thread, I don't think I'll bother to search out the programme.

It's been annoying me for months that there is a French Trawler named Maranello from Roscoff often fishing off Cornwall. and appearing to be just outside what I thought was the UK 12 mile limit. Marine Traffic doesn't even show it as a fishing vessel - the AIS shows it as just "Other Vessel".

I was also shocked to read the limit is now 6 miles since Brexit:

"The new fishing agreement allows French fishers to operate in Jersey and Guernsey waters and a permitted zone between six and twelve miles from the UK coast. This agreement will be in place from now until 2026 and qualifies any fishermen who can prove they had a license to fish in these waters pre-Brexit".

Back