• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

trawler fishing

Deliberately targeting spawning pollock is criminal.
That particular skipper should be ashamed of himself.
Fast forward a few years when all the breeding stock has been wiped out.
Mothballing the commercials for 5 years and allowing stocks a little time to recover, would cost the government money.
Let the commercials fish the stocks out will put them out of business at no cost and quite soon.

Last edited:
Deliberately targeting spawning pollock is criminal.
That particular skipper should be ashamed of himself.
Fast forward a few years when all the breeding stock has been wiped out.
Mothballing the commercials for 5 years and allowing stocks a little time to recover, would cost the government money.
Let the commercials fish the stocks out will put them out of business at no cost and quite soon.
Well said Ian I totally agree with you.

Problem is that without proper regulation and enforcement the level of stock will decrease until it isn't worth targeting. Any recovery then makes it worthwhile again so the stock remains held at this pitifully low level.

@Shirleycodlin

Yes good advice

considering we as anglers knock loads of mackies on the head and raid other fish at wrecks, need to get our house in order first before we slate those who are supplying many with a decent meal.
I think you will find ones comments were referring to getting wound up by the sheer greed of the commercial fleet.

Not for any other reason.

Enforcing it would be almost impossible, unfortunately
It would be difficult but with a big enough deterrent it might have an effect. Confiscation of all gear and boats for instance besides massive fines. Just to be clear, I think this should apply to recreational fishing too.

It would give the royal navy something to do.
With inside information, the RN have got more than enough to do, and not enough staff to do it. Hence the rumours about Conscription.

Something has to be done about the trawling by British boats let alone French & other countries boats in our waters !!!!
theres hardly any british boats left, apart from the pelagic fleet, and a minimal number of under 10s ( who are forced by various regs) to head further offshore to earn a living
they have been boxing wrecks for fkin years, the pollack still return tho
they target bass when spawning down in the western approaches, shame they stopped it as there are too many of the fkin things now

i could go on, but shirl might piss his trousers lol :)

Just a question, if it is reduced by what ever means, what product would used to replace the loss of that foodstuff.

I love my fish, and buy many products as do all my family. I bet many more rely on fish to eat.

I do agree that the whole system needs regulating properly.

Just a question, if it is reduced by what ever means, what product would used to replace the loss of that foodstuff.

I love my fish, and buy many products as do all my family. I bet many more rely on fish to eat.

I do agree that the whole system needs regulating properly.
If you are specifically referring to British consumption, then yes we can reduce the amount we eat. Look at the epidemic of obesity in the U.K. we simply don’t need to eat as much food as we do. There’s plenty of choice for alternatives, chicken etc.
I’m just as concerned about the vast amount of smaller baitfish/krill/sandeels that are taken out of the ocean.
The recent scientific studies show mackerel have been steadily moving north and west, yet sea temperatures have not altered much in the North Atlantic, but the industrial harvesting of lesser species for animal feed has depleted the once rich waters adjacent to the British Isles.
I called into a motorway service centre Saturday night on the M1. I couldn’t believe how disgustingly fat everyone was, hardly a slim person around. The simple truth is we can do without fish for a few years, for the sake of our children’s future.

If you are specifically referring to British consumption, then yes we can reduce the amount we eat. Look at the epidemic of obesity in the U.K. we simply don’t need to eat as much food as we do. There’s plenty of choice for alternatives, chicken etc.
I’m just as concerned about the vast amount of smaller baitfish/krill/sandeels that are taken out of the ocean.
The recent scientific studies show mackerel have been steadily moving north and west, yet sea temperatures have not altered much in the North Atlantic, but the industrial harvesting of lesser species for animal feed has depleted the once rich waters adjacent to the British Isles.
I called into a motorway service centre Saturday night on the M1. I couldn’t believe how disgustingly fat everyone was, hardly a slim person around. The simple truth is we can do without fish for a few years, for the sake of our children’s future.
I doubt that vey much.

Just had a quick count and i reckon we have got at least 20 product from the sea in ourf fridge/freezers/cupboards, and we are eating them on a regular basis, and probable many more at different times.

I worked offshore worldwide and the worst cases of "science" trawling were by our very own DEFRA years ago. In a mackerel survey off South West UK a survey trawl went right through a huge shoal, There were tons of fish ditched overboard after a few samples were taken.

Another North sea population survey caught so much that the ships freezers were full and the "scientists" took away enough fish to fill their home freezers , I don't know what samples they took but I'm sure they fed well.

Go to Seychelles these days and the fish processing for Tuna is big and the "Spanish" boats are wiping out populations just to get cheap canned tuna in our supermarkets.

Off West Africa the pirate trawler,s no names no id, are sweeping the unprotected coasts of fish.

And where do the the undersized fish come from that we see in restaurants ?

Fishing is improving inshore (south coast) since trawlers have been excluded and a side benefit of the wind farms has observed population increases around the foundations and returning kelp beds.

No Trawler or fishing boat should be allowed to"go dark" to hide its activities.

Excuse the rant.

Back