• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tying rigs?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Is tying your own rigs more expensive than buying them ready to go?

I tie flies but can probably buy them far cheaper than I can produce them, but I use quality hooks and materials and it allows me to experiment and invent not having to buy run of the mill flies.

Does the same apply to rigs?

I use quality hooks and materials and it allows me to experiment and invent
I think your post just about sums up the situation. I've bought one or two pre-made ones, and a lot of the pre-made ones I've seen advertised either don't show the rig clearly or don't list the components IE the breaking strains of the mono used.

I've bought a load of components in dribs & drabs over the last 3 years and tend to make my own. Like you, I like to experiment! As for the cost difference, I haven't really looked into it. Most rig components aren't expensive anyway.

Is tying your own rigs more expensive than buying them ready to go?

I tie flies but can probably buy them far cheaper than I can produce them, but I use quality hooks and materials and it allows me to experiment and invent not having to buy run of the mill flies.

Does the same apply to rigs?
L&M rigs eBay will make to your spec also but uses good parts and lists them we have never had an issue with any of there rigs and i make my own and make to what need for etc but buy there 3 hook clipped 2 up 1 down and 1 up 1 down as back ups or just use if need to

2647elizabethk ( 3656
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382905192744?hash=item5926ed9128:g:pdoAAOSwRUhY-Okz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223501051266?hash=item3409b36582:g:VpEAAOSwKdZbYtMp

I tie my own flies but scavenge a lot of the materials. If you have a dog you have a never ending supply of different lengths and consistencies of fur. The underfur on Alfies arse makes really good dubbing.

Yep, make my own but also keep it very simple.

Not a fan of crimps, imps, springs and all the other must have bits that cost a fortune.

Maybe because almost all of my fishing starting out was on rock marks and getting through a bag of 10 expensive components in one session brought tears to the eyes.

So these days I buy decent components but try and work out how to do the same rig with knots, swivels, beads and basic bait clips.

Yep, make my own but also keep it very simple.

Not a fan of crimps, imps, springs and all the other must have bits that cost a fortune.

Maybe because almost all of my fishing starting out was on rock marks and getting through a bag of 10 expensive components in one session brought tears to the eyes.

So these days I buy decent components but try and work out how to do the same rig with knots, swivels, beads and basic bait clips.
I tied up some three hok flapoers with blood looos and loop to lop snoods,swivel at top, lead link at bottom, to use last time out thinking the whiting won't mind a good old basic rig.
They tangled quite a bit.

I make all of my own rigs. I know what the components will stand up to and I can make them to my own spec.
Much cheaper than buying them ready made, at maybe £1 a pop without the lead, and many components can be reused.

It's also part of fishing, sitting and thinking how to tempt a fish to eat your bait and making a rig that will make that happen.

I'll get it right one day.

I tied up some three hok flapoers with blood looos and loop to lop snoods,swivel at top, lead link at bottom, to use last time out thinking the whiting won't mind a good old basic rig.
They tangled quite a bit.
It’s a tangly kind of rig though, especially with three and whiting, pout, small eels etc.

If I do make those I stick to two hooks, short snoods and use 30lb Amnesia. The fish don’t care and it makes it a bit stiffer as well as reusable if it does tangle.

Don’t use it that often but it’s a handy rig sometimes for shorter lobs and is quick to make.

I make my own, recon its got to be cheaper, but thats not the reason i make them, i can experiment with different styies for different areas, plus hate crimps that most premade ones tend to have.
Only down side is ive ended up in A&E with hooks in me mitts a couple a times.

I make my own, recon its got to be cheaper, but thats not the reason i make them, i can experiment with different styies for different areas, plus hate crimps that most premade ones tend to have.
I think that is a risk with any rigs Bob! I've had them fall off the table when rig building and get hanged up in various items of clothing - thankfully none impaled in me flesh yet! ??

I think that is a risk with any rigs Bob! I've had them fall off the table when rig building and get hanged up in various items of clothing - thankfully none impaled in me flesh yet! ??
When I was about 12 I made a four ounce sliding bolt rig with a size 4 chemically sharpened hook..as I dropped it back in the tackle box it slipped out of my hand and I impaled myself through the bed of my nail.. like you couldn't see the hook shank..my mum dosed me up with whisky and ripped it out with a pair of pliers.

A hazard of fishing of any type, sharp beggars.

It’s a tangly kind of rig though, especially with three and whiting, pout, small eels etc.

If I do make those I stick to two hooks, short snoods and use 30lb Amnesia. The fish don’t care and it makes it a bit stiffer as well as reusable if it does tangle.

Don’t use it that often but it’s a handy rig sometimes for shorter lobs and is quick to make.
It was with ting in mind that I made it and it wasn't getting flung too far. I think it was 30lb amnesia I used for the snoods. I will give it another go.

It was with ting in mind that I made it and it wasn't getting flung too far. I think it was 30lb amnesia I used for the snoods. I will give it another go.
Yes they’re not perfect rigs but I find them convenient for the ease of tying.

Used two last night and the straps screwed them up a few times but was about to unravel them fairly easily while the second was fishing.
That’s why I do like Amnesia, it won’t hold a tangle. Other brands would be fit for nothing but the bin after that.

Back