• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Veals Online Accounts hardly worth the bother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Small Shops are Selling online these Days Through eBay Amazon Etc independent Shops buy from Places like Veals and add few Quid on
Sorry mate, but it doesn't quite work like that. Most independents have small accounts with wholesalers.

As an online retailer, I do from time to time supply other dealers with the odd item, but they don't get it any cheaper and 99.9% of the time it is so they can complete and order quickly.

But what do Veals contribute, nothing apart from good service.

One last thing ..... On one side you moaned about your experience with them suggesting that customer service is highly important and then on a separate tack you seem to class "only" providing good service as a negative?

I'm sure I won't be the only trader on here struggling with that one.

One last thing ..... On one side you moaned about your experience with them suggesting that customer service is highly important and then on a separate tack you seem to class "only" providing good service as a negative?

I'm sure I won't be the only trader on here struggling with that one.
It was a nod to others saying they had actually received good service.

I think you need to check your facts because so far as I'm aware that is not at all how Veals Mail Order came about (and I was a customer at the time). This is part of the problem ... people make stuff up to suit their agenda.

The Mail order side of things was moved to a new company in 1992 because the original shop couldn't cope with the mail order side ... its little wonder because the 2 types of business need to be run completely differently to function properly - it made very good business sense for both sides at the time. There was no shutting down the walk in side and making people redundant as you put it .. it was simply run as a separate business and when Veals of Bristol shut (in 2020?), it did so for it's own reasons (and had been in decline for some time I'm told).

Like all other business, the tackle industry has to evolve .... many don't unfortunately. So many rely on weekend sales its madness .... they sit around bored all week when they could be getting distance sales from the web ... then there's parking .... if you ain't got free parking no point opening these days! Everybody thinks just because something is important to them then everybody will want the same and that just isn't true .... if a business is really needed (and run sensibly) then they are profitable. The odd quirk aside, shops that are used don't shut through lack of trade.
So you have two companies who share directors.
One is your customer interface with anglers in a traditional face to face business.
You also have a highly profitable mail order business.
You decide to shut down the face to face business.
So I dont think anyone is thinking that its anything other than a shrewd business decision. I have never criticised them for making more money because thats what a business should be about.
But my beef is simple.
The number one supplier to uk anglers decided it no longer wanted to have a face to face business and therefore has zero physical customer interface.
They also do not put anything meaningful back into grass roots angling BUT arguably they are the greatest beneficiary.
Compare that to any local tackle shops that actually do put something meaningful back or sell fresh bait.
Anyone can run a website and put stuff in boxes ready for a courier.... how about Aaron down at Abbotsbury angling today who has managed to get me a load of fresh blacks.
This guy is sitting there actually proactively helping me catch fish.
Same for Westbay same for Chesil Bait n Tackle...... in some way they all make a positive contribution to UK fishermen.
Veals take your card details and put shit in boxes..... well done them for making a few quid, but they are not helping me catch a cod today therefore they are meaningless to me and my mates.
We will continue to buy locally as far as we can.
I like how this thread keeps coming back to life.... the more people read it the more people will realise that when you spend money with Veals you deny the bloke you actually rely on.

One is your customer interface with anglers in a traditional face to face business.
So I dont think anyone is thinking that its anything other than a shrewd business decision. I have never criticised them for making more money because thats what a business should be about.
But my beef is simple.
The number one supplier to uk anglers decided it no longer wanted to have a face to face business and therefore has zero physical customer interface.
They also do not put anything meaningful back into grass roots angling BUT arguably they are the greatest beneficiary.
Compare that to any local tackle shops that actually do put something meaningful back or sell fresh bait.
Anyone can run a website and put stuff in boxes ready for a courier.... how about Aaron down at Abbotsbury angling today who has managed to get me a load of fresh blacks.
Same for Westbay same for Chesil Bait n Tackle...... in some way they all make a positive contribution to UK fishermen.
Veals take your card details and put shit in boxes..... well done them for making a few quid, but they are not helping me catch a cod today therefore they are meaningless to me and my mates.
I like how this thread keeps coming back to life.... the more people read it the more people will realise that when you spend money with Veals you deny the bloke you actually rely on.

Yawn

How far Do you live From You're local Tackle Shop Pete just for interest

But my beef is simple.

In terms a ten year old could understand .... the mail order side was separated because once the business got too busy it was not logistically possible to have the two operate together. Anybody who does distance sales will understand the issues involved ... the subject of stock control alone is frightening. BOTH business outlets were thriving at the time. The shop died its own death in 2020 quite frankly because the world has moved on ..... that is over 30 years since the two sides of the business split so arguing that the split is to blame or a deliberate attempt to make shop staff redundant is brain dead.

You do understand I take it that a business is run to make money? Its not about social work or charity so the only loyalty you have is to the people that put money over your counter.

The ultimate thing here is they are running a business and are not a charity ... and how they run their business is actually up to them and bugger all to do with you at the end of the day. If you don't like Veals do everybody a favour, stop whinging and go elsewhere.

A little hint here ... "Aaron down at Abbotsbury Angling" is not a social worker either .... he got you some blacks because he gets to charge you for it .. but you talk about him as if he is a saint as opposed to Veals who are apparently the devil incarnate because they only do mail order.

Just chatting with a couple of other business owners online and (when we had stopped laughing) we all agreed that threads like this just highlight the ignorance of some of the posters!

Running any business in this Country is a nightmare anyway, if your a traditional walk in you have shoplifters .. online we have hackers, phishers and spoofers and then we have the other lot of thieves (the government). On top of that it seems (in the view of some bigoted individuals) if you only do mail order, don't give loads of your profits away and don't sell bait then you are apparently providing nothing to your customers.

I bloody hate Veals..... my primary reason it that they shut the tackle shop.... cos it was costing them a few quid to keep it open.

On top of that said company then gets slated about something that never actually happened ... its like rewriting history to suit whatever gripe you've decided to have with a company.

Bear in mind (despite a previous spell as a professional bait digger) I don't do bait, and I only do mail order .... so if anybody is on my customer list and thinks I don't contribute (like Veals) then please do let me know and I'll take you off my customer list faster than you can say "I know you did 2 youtube videos and got 100 likes but I'm still not going to sponsor you".

I’ve ordered loads from veals over the years and found that for small packages there’s no issue. However living in the Isle of Man ,I’ve found they are far more expensive carriage wise then any of their competitors.
I’ve just bought an afaw rod from uttings that was cheaper than veals to start with and then they just charged £10 carriage.
Got a seat box from Gerry’s £10 carriage
I think veals think the Isle of Man is somewhere in the south Atlantic

I’ve ordered loads from veals over the years and found that for small packages there’s no issue. However living in the Isle of Man ,I’ve found they are far more expensive carriage wise then any of their competitors.
I’ve just bought an afaw rod from uttings that was cheaper than veals to start with and then they just charged £10 carriage.
Got a seat box from Gerry’s £10 carriage
I think veals think the Isle of Man is somewhere in the south Atlantic
I know from experience that sending rods to the Isle of Man is a pain in the arse 🤣

Just chatting with a couple of other business owners online and (when we had stopped laughing) we all agreed that threads like this just highlight the ignorance of some of the posters!

Running any business in this Country is a nightmare anyway, if your a traditional walk in you have shoplifters .. online we have hackers, phishers and spoofers and then we have the other lot of thieves (the government). On top of that it seems (in the view of some bigoted individuals) if you only do mail order, don't give loads of your profits away and don't sell bait then you are apparently providing nothing to your customers.

On top of that said company then gets slated about something that never actually happened ... its like rewriting history to suit whatever gripe you've decided to have with a company.

Bear in mind (despite a previous spell as a professional bait digger) I don't do bait, and I only do mail order .... so if anybody is on my customer list and thinks I don't contribute (like Veals) then please do let me know and I'll take you off my customer list faster than you can say "I know you did 2 youtube videos and got 100 likes but I'm still not going to sponsor you".
So Russ this thread is about Veals and not sure why you feel its about you.
No one is saying you provide a bad service.
I am not talking about a bloke that provided a service i am talking about the biggest online retailer of sea tackle.
Rewriting history would mean changing the legal docs on companies house!!.
Last but not least a troll is someone who follows and goes after someones posts and in this case you trolled mine!.
Veals themselves are on this thread but seemingly wont engage, I wonder why?.

In terms a ten year old could understand .... the mail order side was separated because once the business got too busy it was not logistically possible to have the two operate together. Anybody who does distance sales will understand the issues involved ... the subject of stock control alone is frightening. BOTH business outlets were thriving at the time. The shop died its own death in 2020 quite frankly because the world has moved on ..... that is over 30 years since the two sides of the business split so arguing that the split is to blame or a deliberate attempt to make shop staff redundant is brain dead.

You do understand I take it that a business is run to make money? Its not about social work or charity so the only loyalty you have is to the people that put money over your counter.

The ultimate thing here is they are running a business and are not a charity ... and how they run their business is actually up to them and bugger all to do with you at the end of the day. If you don't like Veals do everybody a favour, stop whinging and go elsewhere.

A little hint here ... "Aaron down at Abbotsbury Angling" is not a social worker either .... he got you some blacks because he gets to charge you for it .. but you talk about him as if he is a saint as opposed to Veals who are apparently the devil incarnate because they only do mail order.
I will reply to this later addressing the fantasys above.... i am currently catching cod on Aarons black

How far Do you live From You're local Tackle Shop Pete just for interest
45 miles... but its on the beach i fish.
I will use different tackle shops across the south over the year.
Always buy a few bits when i am there.
Use em or lose em.

So Russ this thread is about Veals and not sure why you feel its about you.
No one is saying you provide a bad service.
I am not talking about a bloke that provided a service i am talking about the biggest online retailer of sea tackle.
Rewriting history would mean changing the legal docs on companies house!!.
Last but not least a troll is someone who follows and goes after someones posts and in this case you trolled mine!.
Veals themselves are on this thread but seemingly wont engage, I wonder why?.
Quite simply you stated that a company that doesn't sponsor or do bait provides nothing to the sport ... well that statement would include me .... so yes I take that seriously.

To be honest I think I'm every bit as bored with you as the other trade guys on here now. As I keep saying .. how someone runs their business is ultimately their own bloody business ... people should worry more about consumer rights being upheld, customer service and dealing with a business that pays its dues not whether they split two sides of their business 30 plus years ago.

And yes you are a troll I'm afraid ... a Veals troll. You just don't seem to able to grasp the simple fact that they are perfectly entitled to do things how they like within the law .... you say they are the biggest UK tackle retailer so obviously what they are doing is working.

The shop side (S. Veals & Son Limited) began trading in 1846 and finally closed in 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/VealsFishingTackle/?locale=en_GB

Last edited:
I for one Think this thread has run it's course, turning into a slanging match, you either use VMO or you don't, I use my local tackle shop as much as I can, but I also shop online if needed. (y)

Ian.

Quite simply you stated that a company that doesn't sponsor or do bait provides nothing to the sport ... well that statement would include me .... so yes I take that seriously.

To be honest I think I'm every bit as bored with you as the other trade guys on here now. As I keep saying .. how someone runs their business is ultimately their own bloody business ... people should worry more about consumer rights being upheld, customer service and dealing with a business that pays its dues not whether they split two sides of their business 30 plus years ago.

And yes you are a troll I'm afraid ... a Veals troll. You just don't seem to able to grasp the simple fact that they are perfectly entitled to do things how they like within the law .... you say they are the biggest UK tackle retailer so obviously what they are doing is working.

The shop side (S. Veals & Son Limited) began trading in 1846 and finally closed in 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/VealsFishingTackle/?locale=en_GB
Russ you are the one thats lost his cool here...... I am actually sticking up for the tackle shops in general which is the trade in general, you are the one getting your knickers in a twist on behalf of a multi million pound turnover business.

In a post above I pointed out that Veals had made the decision to shut there face to face business to make more money and its been successful the books are online and they have achieved their goal my problem has always been they put nothing back.
From the beginning of this thread I have maintained the same position, I dont like them because they should put something meaningful back because of they are taking more out of sea angling than anyone else.

Looking at the fall in the number of sea anglers over the years anything that Veals could do to promote angling is probably to their benefit in the long term because as enrollment to the sport falls so does their customer base. But they have chosen to not promote angling only their products. The fact that they have chosen not to engage in this thread recently is disappointing it would be nice to hear their point of view they obviously have the right of reply and I would be very interested to hear their own comments.

So am I a Veals troll, yes maybe I am I dont bloody like them for the above reasons hardly trolling its a statement of fact.

You making comparisons about people asking you for sponsorship or freebies or whatever...... its not really relevant is it Russ you are a corner shop and they are Tescos.

As far as Aaron at Abbotsbury being a social worker maybe he is! hes there actually facilitating anglers to catch some nice fish on the best beach in the country, he meets you face to face and gives you the one thing you need top class bait.
Even social workers get paid Russ and he takes his fee like every other business including yours.
The same goes for Westbay Angling Centre and Chesil Bait and Tackle all actually contributed to a social and fishing gathering yesterday, all three of these entities are actually tackle trade and businesses who (using your own words) and have far more in common with you than Veals, with them being small trading businesses, as such why not champion their clause?.

As far as Veals continuing to build the biggest business they can and take as much money out of sea angling as they can I have never said they are not good at business, I have never said that they are doing something illegal what I have consistently said is that I dont like them because the seemingly reap the benefits without putting anything back.

You state above clearly that you have put me on ignore I hope you have because your making yourself look a bit foolish with your fantasy type responses. No matter how much noise you make my position will not change and the facts will not change.
Like I have said I like the fact that more and more people will be reading and finding this thread the more people that read it the more people will decide whether they want to use Veals, that is entirely the individuals decision when its my money I will spend it where I like and for my clear reasons above it will not be Veals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back