• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Veals Online Accounts hardly worth the bother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets just compare Veals with other local shops.
All that money! they boast about being the biggest and best......
Do you think they should contribute more than anyone else to grass roots angling?.
So yep I have an axe to grind and thats the Axe......

No I couldnt give a toss about them contributing to grass routes angling.

They have absolutely no obligation to contribute or sponsor

Last edited:
No I couldnt give a toss about them contributing to grass routes angling.

They have absolutely no obligation to contribute or sponsor
Agree totally .... and it has to be said that this thread is a massive amount of hot air over absolutely nothing to be quite honest!

Like everybody else Veals get different discounts from different suppliers so give a members discount can be an utter pain in the neck. Ultimately they have to make a certain return to remain in business so money lost on a members discount has to come from non-members .... that means you can lose out on new customers that don't want to sign up.

Sponsorship is a mugs game quite frankly .... which is why companies rarely stick at it for long. Most organisations haven't got a clue about providing any substantial benefits to their sponsors and some of the approaches that have come my way have been shamefully incompetent. Like the rest of us Veals is not a charity ... so sponsorship etc has to bring some return to the provider.

Ultimately though its up to Veals to decide how to run their business .... a few people not liking this or that is neither here nor there ..... despite the world being an expert at running a business.

Agree totally .... and it has to be said that this thread is a massive amount of hot air over absolutely nothing to be quite honest!

Like everybody else Veals get different discounts from different suppliers so give a members discount can be an utter pain in the neck. Ultimately they have to make a certain return to remain in business so money lost on a members discount has to come from non-members .... that means you can lose out on new customers that don't want to sign up.

Sponsorship is a mugs game quite frankly .... which is why companies rarely stick at it for long. Most organisations haven't got a clue about providing any substantial benefits to their sponsors and some of the approaches that have come my way have been shamefully incompetent. Like the rest of us Veals is not a charity ... so sponsorship etc has to bring some return to the provider.

Ultimately though its up to Veals to decide how to run their business .... a few people not liking this or that is neither here nor there ..... despite the world being an expert at running a business.

Very well said 👍

Simples: If you don't like their service/costs etc then don't order from them as there are plenty of sites around at the mo.

Even Small Shops are Selling online these Days Through eBay Amazon Etc independent Shops buy from Places like Veals and add few Quid on

Even Small Shops are Selling online these Days Through eBay Amazon Etc independent Shops buy from Places like Veals and add few Quid on
Most of the big stores (including Veals & others), and many local ones are selling on eBay anyway now. Just as easy to order from eBay, know the price and know the carriage costs (if any) rather than visit loads of different websites, set up an account with each one, and often not find out what the carriage costs are until you come to checkout.

There are .... but not all provide the same service as Veals. There is a reason why they have been around so long!
I have had appalling service from Veals.... two reels ordered one turned up.
Late deliveries, incomplete deliveries had the lot!.
Heres a question Russ..... do you think that the big outfits have had a negative impact on our hobby.
I recall a post I think you made a while ago and thought you were all for independents.

"Sponsorship is for mugs"
How about the England Juniors are they not worth a few quid of help?
Or maybe the Welsh juniors or disabled angling groups??

"Sponsorship is for mugs"
How about the England Juniors are they not worth a few quid of help?
Or maybe the Welsh juniors or disabled angling groups??
Not if they bring no return for a business .... people do understand how a business works I take it? They still survive by making money not by giving it away. The fact that you mention those teams and I can't think of any company linked to them says that anybody that is sponsoring them currently is not getting the return they should. You mention England national team sponsors and I think Drennan ... Drennan got their money's worth from their sponsorship but its rare quite frankly. Some of the morons that come to me for sponsorship are a joke ... its not about just putting your hand out .. you need to deliver to the sponsor in return ... and few actually give that much thought at all.

I have had appalling service from Veals.... two reels ordered one turned up.
Late deliveries, incomplete deliveries had the lot!.
Heres a question Russ..... do you think that the big outfits have had a negative impact on our hobby.
I recall a post I think you made a while ago and thought you were all for independents.

I've dealt with them since the late 80s (and still do fairly regularly) ... never come away dissatisfied ... ever - mistakes have always been sorted. They are the only retailer I will take customer purchased reels sent direct to me for modding ... simply because if there has been an issue with a reel they don't mess me or the purchaser about.

The really big outfits will destroy the trade if allowed. People know who they are ... trying to buy out the world. Big stocks and big discounts and when it all goes wrong it goes wrong big too. They can cause unexpected problems too with the wholesalers and larger distributors because the large outfits often tempt their suppliers into sale or return deals and that can be incredibly dangerous for a supplier .. one major wholesaler in the UK has already disappeared partly due to those kind of issues.

Not if they bring no return for a business .... people do understand how a business works I take it? They still survive by making money not by giving it away. The fact that you mention those teams and I can't think of any company linked to them says that anybody that is sponsoring them currently is not getting the return they should. You mention England national team sponsors and I think Drennan ... Drennan got their money's worth from their sponsorship but its rare quite frankly. Some of the morons that come to me for sponsorship are a joke ... its not about just putting your hand out .. you need to deliver to the sponsor in return ... and few actually give that much thought at all.

I've dealt with them since the late 80s (and still do fairly regularly) ... never come away dissatisfied ... ever - mistakes have always been sorted. They are the only retailer I will take customer purchased reels sent direct to me for modding ... simply because if there has been an issue with a reel they don't mess me or the purchaser about.

The really big outfits will destroy the trade if allowed. People know who they are ... trying to buy out the world. Big stocks and big discounts and when it all goes wrong it goes wrong big too. They can cause unexpected problems too with the wholesalers and larger distributors because the large outfits often tempt their suppliers into sale or return deals and that can be incredibly dangerous for a supplier .. one major wholesaler in the UK has already disappeared partly due to those kind of issues.
For me its not about the price ever although I love a bargain.
So tomorrow I will fish the back end of this storm.... my bait will come from Abbotsbury, chances of success are high with fresh blacks much lower without.
My point is this when the big boys have killed the locals off I am going to be catching fewer fish. Thats the truth of it and its a story repeated throughout the UK.
But what do Veals contribute, nothing apart from good service.
Every pound they take could be going to a business that actually has a door anglers can go to and buy face to face.
They were profitable sacked the staff and closed the shop, they opted out of face to face.
Anyway..... its my choice I wont use them, and if you do go to a small local shop have a look around if you can buy something else..... it all helps.

Well good luck down Abbotsbury Tomorrow Pete I wish had the Option to go to local Shop I Pick up my Baits from A Shop near the Coast I do on occasions Pick up some leads or Anything else I might need Baiting needles or cotton etc 👍

For me its not about the price ever although I love a bargain.
So tomorrow I will fish the back end of this storm.... my bait will come from Abbotsbury, chances of success are high with fresh blacks much lower without.
My point is this when the big boys have killed the locals off I am going to be catching fewer fish. Thats the truth of it and its a story repeated throughout the UK.
But what do Veals contribute, nothing apart from good service.
Every pound they take could be going to a business that actually has a door anglers can go to and buy face to face.
They were profitable sacked the staff and closed the shop, they opted out of face to face.
Anyway..... its my choice I wont use them, and if you do go to a small local shop have a look around if you can buy something else..... it all helps.
I think you need to check your facts because so far as I'm aware that is not at all how Veals Mail Order came about (and I was a customer at the time). This is part of the problem ... people make stuff up to suit their agenda.

The Mail order side of things was moved to a new company in 1992 because the original shop couldn't cope with the mail order side ... its little wonder because the 2 types of business need to be run completely differently to function properly - it made very good business sense for both sides at the time. There was no shutting down the walk in side and making people redundant as you put it .. it was simply run as a separate business and when Veals of Bristol shut (in 2020?), it did so for it's own reasons (and had been in decline for some time I'm told).

Like all other business, the tackle industry has to evolve .... many don't unfortunately. So many rely on weekend sales its madness .... they sit around bored all week when they could be getting distance sales from the web ... then there's parking .... if you ain't got free parking no point opening these days! Everybody thinks just because something is important to them then everybody will want the same and that just isn't true .... if a business is really needed (and run sensibly) then they are profitable. The odd quirk aside, shops that are used don't shut through lack of trade.

Even though I am an online tackle trader of 12 years vintage, I still get some stuff from Harry at Veals, notably Diawa boat rods and Fin-Nor reels.

Their pricing structure is good, and I have found the delivery and customer service to be excellent.

@blakdog is back hit the nail bang on the head (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back