• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review WARNING TURKANA LEADS

I am fighting a loosing battle here ….
Seems to me the only battle your fighting is with your self. You cant stand any feedback which is not good about the products you sell. In this case its all about safety , a lead flying up the beach and smacking some one in the head is no laughing matter. You seem a pretty sick person who,s accused the forum members of being keyboard warriors and now its hiding behind their forum names . You have a real problem with your attitude and really should not be in business . signing off now Mike brown from Hull east yorkshire

Seems to me the only battle your fighting is with your self. You cant stand any feedback which is not good about the products you sell. In this case its all about safety , a lead flying up the beach and smacking some one in the head is no laughing matter. You seem a pretty sick person who,s accused the forum members of being keyboard warriors and now its hiding behind their forum names . You have a real problem with your attitude and really should not be in business . signing off now Mike brown from Hull east yorkshire
Mike ...........I welcome feedback of all kinds - feedback helps my business!!.............and I WILL accept faults if they are reported direct to me so that I can rectify the problems - doing it on an internet forum - hiding under forum names when they have NEVER been reported or shown to me is unfair and underhand - hence my keyboard warrior comments.
As you have pointed out and I quote "In this case its all about safety , a lead flying up the beach and smacking some one in the head is no laughing matter." Do you really think its acceptable to place a thread on the internet without first reporting them to the manufacturer??

I am well aware of how dangerous Loose Flying leads could be, and well aware they could be a serious life threatening problem - not something to be taken lightly! ..... also not something that should be complained about if they have NEVER been reported!!!!

So I have to question why not one of the above have ever taken it up with me directly?

Karen Hancox
Owner of Turkana UK and Ireland
sales@turkanafishing.co.uk

Last edited:
On a final note .... do you think that the Welsh, English, Irish and Scottish internationals including the Seniors Ladies and Junior anglers would use My Turkana Leads if they thought for one minute they would be dangerous?? ......I think that is testament in its self ;)

I dont have an attitude problem............. however I will not roll over to a bunch of guys who think this is type of thread is acceptable .... I do get very angry at people who can find the time to sit behind a computer ...complain on open forums and diss my products - yet haven't the time to contact me with the problems first ........... When its a serious safety matter ......Very odd don't you think??

Karen Hancox
Owner of Turkana UK and Ireland
sales@turkanafishing.co.uk

Last edited:
Its like banging my head against a brick wall - but here goes.....as i keep repeating ......if i was told about the said problems I would address them!!!!! ... and at no point did I say you had no turkana leads lol - I do have a very good reputation and I pride myself in my after sales service ... hence my anger when people openly moan on the internet but cant be bothered to contact me directly and give me the chance to rectify any problems!!
I am just trying to defend the product from a group of guys who are hell bent (for some reason I am not really sure of) on dissing the product …. I have seen this before from people who have never bought a thing from me and have a hidden agenda!
I Just Replied to your remarks!

If you had come on here with a more open friendly mind you would find many of us very helpful and pleasant!
But instead you came in like us going in 12Gauge blowing doors off and room clearance with a Gmp'y.

If you had come on here with a more open friendly mind you would find many of us very helpful and pleasant!
But instead you came in like us going in 12Gauge blowing doors off and room clearance with a Gmp'y.
so.... you expect me to have an open friendly mind in response to the accusations and unreported problems banded about by certain people? This is my business and my livelihood we are talking about here ..... something that could be destroyed buy a few flippant remarks ... they serious problems that not one of the said people have ever had the time to report to me - can you not see why I am so angry about all of this??

I have worked very very hard to obtain and my reputation and wont sit back roll over and watch a few people quite happily destroy it on an open internet forum .... think about how you would feel ;)

I dont see what ladies in fishing have to with it. My misses fishes and is very good at it. But she only gets creepy comments on posts etc, not once has someone started being a idiot just because she is a lady. So i sont think that is the case in this thread.
I see both sides to story, yes contact should have been made with the company. (I have contacted a company on the weekend due to a safety issue on a lead clip). But i can also see the point in warning the public on a forum due to issues. I am not doubting that many peope use the leads without issues. But my sea cast is very different to my freshwater cast. If i had a failure with my sea leads it could go badly wrong. (I’ve had issues with Gemini splash downs & so have others i know) now i will not use them, which is my choice as i dont fancy having to live with the fact i could kill someone due to an failure.
But the tone used in the thread replies is not great and i think that is the issue here, maybe a sorry and please contact me on blah blah would have been better?
I have use your leads a couple of times without issue so cannot give a constructive long user review.
Hopefully this can be sorted, and all the daft comments…. Just ignore them.
Regarding the failures, maybe add stronger components to mitigate the issue in future? Add a warning on the website regarding casting styles etc. I’m no expert just a thought.

So I have to question why not one of the above have ever taken it up with me directly?
Your right about that i will except the way you feel. Ive bought a lot of products that have been really bad but i cant remember ever contacting the manufactures of the products so i,m as guilty as the next person for not doing so. But saying that i do know folks who have contacted with the complaints to the manufacturers and got no where. To be fair Karen you would have been better of doing things different like saying you would investigate any folks concern instead of some of the things you have said which only get peoples backs up. What i would do if i was testing one of your leads is put the swivel in a vice and pull the lead to see if you do have a problem or not.

If you care to read not just on here but many forums you will find Swivels come up so many times in threads with about what to use and what not to along with what is rated highly or not.
Brass Swivels went out with Noah as fragile for one and the only decent type is Marine Grade.
In my review left i said about Stainless steel type as i got some casting leads at Christchurch Angling Which Tom sells for the Match Circuit anglers to use the have a Stainless steel swivel loop on one side long rod on other similar to your brass ones but rated far higher on tensile strength! so could easily change over to them and as you say want a good name!.
The Dark coloured swivels on some leads is not much more than a snood Swivel and i like along with many would never use when making rigs for use in direct casting load of lead! ie on end of leaders or main rig bodies
@jackjock i know always uses power swivels and i use them.Berkleys.Seadra all rated plus 100lb as i always go A plus X percent to cover issues.

I dont see what ladies in fishing have to with it. My misses fishes and is very good at it. But she only gets creepy comments on posts etc, not once has someone started being a idiot just because she is a lady. So i sont think that is the case in this thread.
You obviously never saw some of the comments that have now quite rightly been deleted regarding me getting my t*ts out over leads?? ..... its pathetic really ... hence my comment re ladies fishing - I run a ladies group on facebook - something at first i felt wasn't really needed I will happily fish and discuss amongst men ....then I realised that many women wont go onto mixed groups purely because of feeling like they are not being taken seriously and feeling intimidated - hence my comment ;) - we should be encouraging people into the sport not making them feel they can only read and not get involved.......

Your right about that i will except the way you feel. Ive bought a lot of products that have been really bad but i cant remember ever contacting the manufactures of the products so i,m as guilty as the next person for not doing so. But saying that i do know folks who have contacted with the complaints to the manufacturers and got no where. To be fair Karen you would have been better of doing things different like saying you would investigate any folks concern instead of some of the things you have said which only get peoples backs up. What i would do if i was testing one of your leads is put the swivel in a vice and pull the lead to see if you do have a problem or not.
they actually do go though quite stringent testing at the factory in Spain - safety is something that isn't ignored :)

You obviously never saw some of the comments that have now quite rightly been deleted regarding me getting my t*ts out over leads?? ..... its pathetic really ... hence my comment re ladies fishing - I run a ladies group on facebook - something at first i felt wasn't really needed I will happily fish and discuss amongst men ....then I realised that many women wont go onto mixed groups purely because of feeling like they are not being taken seriously and feeling intimidated - hence my comment ;) - we should be encouraging people into the sport not making them feel they can only read and not get involved.......

No i didnt see the those comments.

Never trust any swivel 100%, never stand to the right hand side of a right handed pendulum caster. Any swivel has the potential to break no matter the make or breaking strain, just like everything else in life faults do occur occasionally. I will give an example, for a while I built rigs for friends, family and club members, I've made litterally hundreds of rigs using this certain brand of swivel, however a friend managed to break a few on the cast, still to this day the only ones to break. I spoke to the supplier and he explained that it was a faulty batch that had slipped through QC testing. When you pay a little more for the better brands of swivel you are actually paying for better standards of production and quality control. You have to treat all anglers as having poor casting techniques as at the end of the day for most it's just a hobby and very few have the time or ability to learn. Just don't take any chances on the beach and if you don't think it's safe that don't use it.

Some of the posts on here are quite frankly shameful. Post about the issue and not the person. Unlike most tackle companies, @KarenTurkana has taken the time to come on here and at least respond, whether you like that response, is irrelevant and shouldn't lead to some of the posts directed towards her. They were out of order quite frankly and other forums would have had you out the door for a week or so for posting them

Let's treat everybody with a bit of respect. You know we try to keep things "light" around here, but don't take the p*ss.

they actually do go though quite stringent testing at the factory in Spain - safety is something that isn't ignored :)
Seems like the factory in Spain might be missing something, best way is to test them your self or for some one to test them in front of you. good luck.

Some of the posts on here are quite frankly shameful. Post about the issue and not the person. Unlike most tackle companies, @KarenTurkana has taken the time to come on here and at least respond, whether you like that response, is irrelevant and shouldn't lead to some of the posts directed towards her. They were out of order quite frankly and other forums would have had you out the door for a week or so for posting them

Let's treat everybody with a bit of respect. You know we try to keep things "light" around here, but don't take the p*ss.
Then do it Mike, wagging your finger will have no effect!
I have been following this thread from afar but havnt commented as I don’t know the product and the obvious question of whether a swivel should be on a lead in the first place has already been addressed.
I missed the deleted posts but as a husband and parent of a thirty something daughter I take great exception to being associated with any misogynistic comments………hells teeth, it’s 2022 for gods sake.
If you are not careful and don’t stamp down hard this forum will go the same way as one not too far down the road with its under lying toxicity.

Okay guys let’s leave this here … if in the future you have any problems please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to help ☺️ after all if problems are not reported/addressed I am oblivious to them …. What I can say is of the thousands I sell I don’t get many issues that I know of ….
For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would buy an expensive continental rubber coated coloured lead to use in such places as Chesil where they will simply get buried in the shingle bottom ….then hauled out on the retrieve expecting a swivel to stand this (defeating the object) why not simply use good old fashioned plain looped leads on such venues? Surely this is obvious if you think about it? …. Colored continental leads are designed to attract on the bottom ….. they won’t do that buried in mud or shingle ?

Last edited:
I i got some casting leads at Christchurch Angling Which Tom sells for the Match Circuit anglers to use the have a Stainless steel swivel loop on one side long rod on other similar to your brass ones but rated far higher on tensile strength! so could easily change over to them and as you say want a good name!.
The Dark coloured swivels on some leads is not much more than a snood Swivel and i like along with many would never use when making rigs for use in direct casting load of lead! ie on end of leaders or main rig bodies
funnily enough Tom regularly uses my leads himself - do you think he would stock them if he thought they were unsafe?

Okay guys let’s leave this here … if in the future you have any problems please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to help ☺️ after all if problems are not reported/addressed I am oblivious to them …. What I can say is of the thousands I sell I don’t get many issues that I know of ….
For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would buy an expensive continental coated lead to use in such places as Chesil where they will simply get buried in the shingle bottom ….then hauled out on the retrieve (defeating the object) why not simply use good old fashioned plain looped leads on such venues? Surely this is obvious if you think about it? …. Colored continental leads are designed to attract on the bottom ….. they won’t do that buried in mud or shingle ?

I have to disagree…(not starting this argument again lol) but Chesil is perfect for the leads, plaice etc are one of the main targets for spring/summer from Abbo west wards. Doing yourself out of sales saying that.

Back