• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What’s your worst tackle purchase ?

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Mines probably a Yuki Maseraty and Master Torzite.

Both stupidly expensive and they are beautiful but I just can’t bring myself to use them! I’m paranoid about breaking them. I’ve been trying to sell them but I will be losing so much money on them it’s frustrating !

What are yours?

Two off the top of my head.

I bought a Grauvell Vertix Conti rod which is brilliant - still got it & love it, so shorly aftter I bought a Vertix 8000 F/S surfcasting reel to go with it. It wasn't cheap. Cost more than the Rod. Only used it half a dozen times and the whole bail arm roller assembly came loose. No idea why, but I tried to tighten the screw up, and it locks the roller up solid. Now in my box of crap I don't use.

Second bad purchase was a Mitchell Performance Beach rod. It was going fairly cheap locally on Gumtree, and I wanted another 15ft Rod in the height of the Covid lockdowns. Nothing really wrong with it, but it's just cheaply made and over 45mm thick at the Butt. Heavy too. It had one of those cheapy one section zipped rod bags with a pouch for the reel too. Always take my reels off at the end of a session.

Currently been back on Gumtree for nearly 2 weeks and not a single enquiry! 🤔🤔

None, I don't buy crap.. 🤣 🤣

Ian.

Mine is a italicann la . probably the most overrated piece of shite iv ever owned. Why . Blank far to thin for a reducer, so you have to put the reel clamp 8 inches up the butt so badly finished eyes don’t match up look up the rod and you’ll think a blind piss one handed chimp have done the rod building, where is mine now, it whent in the garden mulched and best place for it, end of , no one can say it best rod going it’s fucking crap big time

Mine is a italicann la . probably the most overrated piece of shite iv ever owned. Why . Blank far to thin for a reducer, so you have to put the reel clamp 8 inches up the butt so badly finished eyes don’t match up look up the rod and you’ll think a blind piss one handed chimp have done the rod building, where is mine now, it whent in the garden mulched and best place for it, end of , no one can say it best rod going it’s fucking crap big time

Crickey not exactly a cheap rod either!

That is a disappointment, I am forever being tempted by the Italcanna LA😱

My worst purchase was a Century Tip Tornado Match, just a horrible rod and I hated it.

I once purchased a Titan bivvy… top piece of equipment.. waterproof.. robust and roomy.
I paid £100 quid for it.. bargain price I thought.. rrp £350….the problem was it didn’t have any fibreglass poles to put it up with.!!

Christ Mike, I thought you liked it when you first got it. Pete (chesilpete) loves his by all accounts. ;)

Ian.

I do remember buying a left handed rod once, couldn't get on with it... 🤣

Ian.

The worst was some fancy lure type thing i bought from the sale basket, guaranteed to catch;

Used it a few times, to no avail.

Then one night i cast it and fkin ell it snapped off and must have flew 300 yds.

Guaranteed to catch. my fkin arse.:LOL::LOL:

Couple of reels. First was a Ryobi Spider small multi. Not even sure why I thought it was a good idea but many many years ago now.
It couldn’t cope with hauling in a dogfish and I relegated it to estuary flattie fishing, which had been its original purpose, but it still struggled. Plus if you did the drag up too tight, the star caught on the spool float knob and the handle wouldn’t turn 🙄
Unfortunately ‘too tight’ was also too loose, so it wouldn’t reel in either 🙄

The other was a large Daiwa BG something fixed spool that was meant to be my first foray into upper mid range reels, cost about £85, 25 or so years ago.
Lasted about three trips then some bit of plastic that ran under the spool on the spindle broke and the whole reel was useless.
Suppose I should have chased Daiwa or the retailer and got it sorted. Honestly can’t remember now if I did, but it never was sorted.
That pretty much put me off mangels for beach fishing for good. Very much a disposable commodity as far as I’m concerned and some were much more disposable than others.

After that I bought two Daiwa 30 SHV multis and they’re still going to this day, although like Trigger’s broom they’ve had a few parts over the years, but at least you can get parts.

Ian Golds supermatch 7ft tripod. Heavy old thing, never been used yet.
I’ve got a 7ft DB1, I like it. Don’t find it particularly heavy? Not like those bloody great blue Shakespeare ones you could mount a cannon on.

I’ve got a nearly 30 years old 6ft Golds that’s still going and gets used in tighter rock marks.
Mind you, that’s Trigger’s broom too! It’s had about three leg lock kits over the years and when the rod holders broke I riveted on homemade ally ones that have lasted.

I’ve got a 7ft DB1, I like it. Don’t find it particularly heavy? Not like those bloody great blue Shakespeare ones you could mount a cannon on.

I’ve got a nearly 30 years old 6ft Golds that’s still going and gets used in tighter rock marks.
Mind you, that’s Trigger’s broom too! It’s had about three leg lock kits over the years and when the rod holders broke I riveted on homemade ally ones that have lasted.
I think that is what I have but compared to my breakaway one, heavy.

Zziplex V-Max F1 had the other 2 in range F2/F3 but , this thing was awful. Scaffold pole on steroids,just could,nt get on with it swapped it for another Zzipy.
Lol, my favourite rod is the f1.
Slim, light, easy to cast. Anything but a scaffold pole!

Almost 10 years ago when my CS pension paid out I banked the thousands and treated myself to a Century 15’Blackbird with the hundreds…..£327. Much more than I had ever spent o a rod. Didn’t matter though as I was going to cast to the horizon and catch loads of cod. Wrong……first practice cast on my field I realised the rod was far too stiff for me. Used it a couple of times fishing but didn’t enjoy it so it spent seven years sat in my garage until I managed to sell it for £200 to a chap who wanted to pair it with one he already owned.

I love my Shakespeare Tripod - yep, they are a bit heavy but well made. I've got the Shakespeare Salt rod holdall too, which has got a pouch & straps for the Tripod, so over your shoulder, it ain't too bad. Plus I'm not able to hike miles to marks anyway.
Plans & parts acquired to put another cup & 'V' fork on it for my spinning rod. One of them 'Roundtuit' jobs!

Back