• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What’s your worst tackle purchase ?

Have you managed to source some then.Thought you were making do with a reel seat with a Century Coaster added.
Should have said all my rods up until I got my Fireblade GT's and Zziplex Profile GT's, as you say, these I have added Century coasters to the reel seats. The Profile GT's only have 22mm butt's, so Grip-Loks would be no good anyway.

Abu still list the Grip-Lok reel seats in their 2024 Catalogue, and talking to VMO, they are on order.

Ian.

Should have said all my rods up until I got my Fireblade GT's and Zziplex Profile GT's, as you say, these I have added Century coasters to the reel seats. The Profile GT's only have 22mm butt's, so Grip-Loks would be no good anyway.

Abu still list the Grip-Lok reel seats in their 2024 Catalogue, and talking to VMO, they are on order.

Ian.
Don't hold your breath Ian, maybe in about 18months time you will be able to get delivery.

Akios nitron 15s..... coulda been epic but Akios build quality meant shocking shite.
That and the virivas hook that had the tensile strength of a kitkat that cost me a whooper....
The new version is supposed to be better Pete, but not seen any reviews on them..

Ian.

Don't hold your breath Ian, maybe in about 18months time you will be able to get delivery.
Tell me about it mate, lets see how long it takes to get stock, they will alert me when they arrive back in stock.. (y)

Ian.

It’s a faff though and I have no idea what size the butts are.

They still work just about (with a little help from large stones or the butt of my knife) and when they do give up I’ll probably just get coasters tbh…
The secret with griploks is to push the reel as you unscrew. All stays together then.

Simples.

A Shakespeare ugly stick beachcaster. My first ever rod as a beginner and the salesman in the shop must've thought it was his lucky day and dumped it on me. It was a rubbish rod

Two of these
Both now in a charity shop with the boxes …
What are those Alien objects... 🤣 🤣

Hope someone gets some use of them..(y)

Ian.

Akios AirPower 435’s a pair of.
Snapped one the day after purchase, in fairness this was replaced.
Snapped one again about a month later. The tips worked loose.
The pair was then changed under warranty for the Akios AirPower surf “black editions”.
Just lost confidence in them now

Some reels are perfect for the job. And some are just called reels because that's what they do.
From what I gather its wise to choose the well known models from Daiwa, Penn and Shimano. There are many pretenders that look up to the job but are just turds rolled in glitter

From what I gather its wise to choose the well known models from Daiwa, Penn and Shimano. There are many pretenders that look up to the job but are just turds rolled in glitter
The surprising thing is that even after people get given good advice they still buy that sh*te, you could understand it if there were no forums or other places to get said advice. These plasticine reels catch more pretend anglers than fish

Most gear I have is OK, the one rod I really wanted years ago was the very first edition lf the Zziplex Bullet.

Rick in Filey Angling ( long gone now ) ordered it as a blank . I spent ages building it and it was lovely to use.
Until I snapped the tip pendulumning a 6 oz sinker and bait .

Never had another Zziplex after that , went on to Connies and they were the mutts .

Dave

I was after a Penn Surfblaster during the height of the lockdown, but none available. So I bought a Mitchell Blue Water RZ 8000 as a stopgap until I could find a Surfblaster (2nd hand one turned up locally for £30!) and to be honest, the Mitchell is nearly as good as the Surfblaster. Still using both now.
Not sure if there is any Penn input to the Mitchell as they both come from Pure Fishing, and possibly came out of the same Chinky factory.

Let's hope these Crosscasts give you the kind of service I've had from my Tournaments🤞They have been catching freshwater specimens for decades with minimal maintenance. Saltwater is the killer test of both your gear and cleaning regime😉

Let's hope these Crosscasts give you the kind of service I've had from my Tournaments🤞They have been catching freshwater specimens for decades with minimal maintenance. Saltwater is the killer test of both your gear and cleaning regime😉
Wash all your fishing rods/reels with warm water after each trip, don't forget to oil the reels as well after drying them. It's not rocket science (y)

Back