• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cheap multiplier under £100

Nearly got caught (I think)there's an online store allegedly in the USA called Daiwa store online.com,looked legit even had the little padlock icon at the top, anyway they were selling 7ht's for $89(£71) with free postage 🤔 decided to check and it seems they're dodgy,I suppose the old adage applies,if it looks too good too be true....etc

Nearly got caught (I think)there's an online store allegedly in the USA called Daiwa store online.com,looked legit even had the little padlock icon at the top, anyway they were selling 7ht's for $89(£71) with free postage 🤔 decided to check and it seems they're dodgy,I suppose the old adage applies,if it looks too good too be true....etc
You could order one from Amazon US? Do they not charge duty on things under £150 or something? Don’t quote me on that though!

I ordered a headlamp from the States that was £63 delivered and would have cost £90 plus here.
I still wanted that brand and figured if customs did add £20/30 to it, I wouldn’t have lost out, but as it happened, arrived with no issues at all.

I don’t mean use the dodgy looking shop, but surprising what’s on Amazon

You could order one from Amazon US? Do they not charge duty on things under £150 or something? Don’t quote me on that though!

I ordered a headlamp from the States that was £63 delivered and would have cost £90 plus here.
I still wanted that brand and figured if customs did add £20/30 to it, I wouldn’t have lost out, but as it happened, arrived with no issues at all.

I don’t mean use the dodgy looking shop, but surprising what’s on Amazon
Saying that, I’m not sure how I did it - it just popped up under ‘other sellers’ and I clicked on it as the price was much lower

Don't buy a new 7HT .... they are not made in Japan anymore.

And don't use the padlock as a sign of safety .... anybody can issue their own self-certificate now .... you need to look much deeper these days.

How about a second hand Abu green mag elite, lovely easy to use reels . It's probably my favourite multilplier , they come up on ebay quite a lot .

How about a second hand Abu green mag elite, lovely easy to use reels . It's probably my favourite multilplier , they come up on ebay quite a lot .
Its a good shout.... better a 2nd hand decent Abu that any of the copying rubbish from Tronix or others.
I would still go for a fathom, they are bullet proof and will cast fine.
I like the ratchet and the quick retrieve it just makes life easier.

I had Abu's a few years ago and found the build quality a bit flimsy🤔 particularly the handle retaining nut which had a habit of failing,might have been me being a ham fisted cnut though🤷

I had Abu's a few years ago and found the build quality a bit flimsy🤔 particularly the handle retaining nut which had a habit of failing,might have been me being a ham fisted cnut though🤷
Sounds like you'd be better off with the fathom which are built like tanks compared to an Abu .
Plus you get a ratchet which is handy for smoothounds .

Sounds like you'd be better off with the fathom which are built like tanks compared to an Abu .
Plus you get a ratchet which is handy for smoothounds .
I think the larger Abu's have a ratchet 7000 series +

Im a fan of the early fathoms, paint seemed much more resistant than the recent versions.....shame most things just seem to get worse these days and price stays the same.....it would be nice if just once, a manufacturer left a good product alone, and just increased price as needed! 🤷

Ps....i would always go 2nd hand rather than a poor quality new reel.....keep an eye out, some retailers give periodic big discounts on the Fathoms 👍

Went for a new Penn 525 mag 4 in the end £93.00 on a bleck Friday deal,it's got good reviews (on here as well)and you get what you pay for, yes it was made in china but so was the great wall and that's lasted😁

?!?! I'm not sure how you missed all the warning signs posted about the 525 Mag4's, including those from Blakdog (who probably sees the inside more reels in a week than most anglers in a lifetime) and myself etc. They look good but internally they are flawed. I can only hope you found a rare diamond in amongst acres of turds

?!?! I'm not sure how you missed all the warning signs posted about the 525 Mag4's, including those from Blakdog (who probably sees the inside more reels in a week than most anglers in a lifetime) and myself etc. They look good but internally they are flawed. I can only hope you found a rare diamond in amongst acres of turds
Make a nice boat weight anyway 😇

Flawed in what way?the reviews are good, including the one on tsf which Mike probably had some input into and it's safe to say he's pretty knowledgeable about such matters,if you took notice of every nay sayer you'd never buy a reel again😎

Last edited:
Back