• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cheap multiplier under £100

That's the thing, forums like this only represent a miniscule percentage of Anglers, thousands of anglers probably never bother with them, and they might be very happy with the reels they buy, and some not so happy as well. That's the thing with any kind of forum, people are very quick to complain, not so quick to praise.

Ian.

Flawed in what way?the reviews are good, including the one on tsf which Mike probably had some input into and it's safe to say he's pretty knowledgeable about such matters,if you took notice of every nay sayer you'd never buy a reel again😎
Is that about my wooden centre pin beach casting reel? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Just look back through this thread ! Also search others like the "your worst tackle purchase" etc you'll see lots of red flags for the mk2, 3 and 4's ie ALL the non USA mk1 models (they're all the same but with simple cosmetic colour changes on the anodizing from mk2 gold to mk3 red and now mk4 blue). Other forums have pages devoted to this very subject too.

Issues I have personally found are
1.Poor tolerances on the spool to cage fit allowing line to easily get behind the spool and around the spindle
2. Poor design of and frankly rubbish moulding to the housing that holds the anti reverse bearing
3. Rapid corrosion around the handle arm to knob connection
4. Cracking of the frame at the reel foot rivet connection

There may be others...

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear but to be fair you were warned in this very thread - someone mentioned them being on offer at £105 and Blakdog immediately replied that was £100 too much. All that glitters blue, red or gold is not.....

As I've said I hope you've been very fortunate and bought a quality example. It may be one of very, very few. Apply something like ACF50 immediately you take it out of the box, definitely before you take it near saltwater, and keep it meticulously clean if I were you.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Just look back through this thread ! Also search others like the "your worst tackle purchase" etc you'll see lots of red flags for the mk2, 3 and 4's ie ALL the non USA mk1 models (they're all the same but with simple cosmetic colour changes on the anodizing from mk2 gold to mk3 red and now mk4 blue). Other forums have pages devoted to this very subject too.

Issues I have personally found are
1.Poor tolerances on the spool to cage fit allowing line to easily get behind the spool and around the spindle
2. Poor design of and frankly rubbish moulding to the housing that holds the anti reverse bearing
3. Rapid corrosion around the handle arm to knob connection
4. Cracking of the frame at the reel foot rivet connection

There may be others...

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear but to be fair you were warned in this very thread - someone mentioned them being on offer at £105 and Blakdog immediately replied that was £100 too much. All that glitters blue, red or gold is not.....

As I've said I hope you've been very fortunate and bought a quality example. It may be one of very, very few. Apply something like ACF50 immediately you take it out of the box, definitely before you take it near saltwater, and keep it meticulously clean if I were you.
Best of luck!
For every shit review I could find ten good reviews,have you bothered to look at any of those? all reels have problems, I have owned many multipliers and all all are far from perfect and have flaws unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money,it's a cheap reel under £100,you get we what you pay for.

For every shit review I could find ten good reviews,have you bothered to look at any of those? all reels have problems, I have owned many multipliers and all all are far from perfect and have flaws unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money,it's a cheap reel under £100,you get we what you pay for.
I don't need to look at reviews as I owned mk2s briefly and have serviced several mk2s and 3s for others. The thing with reviews is most are biased because;
1.few want to admit they might have spent their hard earned unwisely
2. many others are nothing more than infomercials or product placement marketeering

I don't need to look at reviews as I owned mk2s briefly and have serviced several mk2s and 3s for others. The thing with reviews is most are biased because;
1.few want to admit they might have spent their hard earned unwisely
2. many others are nothing more than infomercials or product placement marketeering
That's the problem, with a lot of reviewers, they have been sent gear by the Companies that sponsor them to review, not going to give an unbiased review are they, a lot of the bloody "Youtubers" are now sponsored, so again not very unbiased.

Ian.

That's the problem, with a lot of reviewers, they have been sent gear by the Companies that sponsor them to review, not going to give an unbiased review are they, a lot of the bloody "Youtubers" are now sponsored, so again not very unbiased.

Ian.
Another factor is not true sponsorship per se but the "review it and you can keep it" scenario that many marketing departments offer / encourage. Again its highly likely that such reviews will be positive or at least not negative

Is the Penn 525 mag 2. Any better I know it’s older .

seems they all. the same going by what I have now read so what do members think is a good all rounder in multipliers .
The Mag 2's have better quality internal components than the 3's and 4's and more robust external parts. For your neck of the woods, look at the Penn SD's or Casting Specials, or even the Daiwa SLOSH or even the Saltist range.

Ian.

Are they still working? 👀

The Mag 2's have better quality internal components than the 3's and 4's and more robust external parts.

Ian.
No way. Early runs of the Mag2 were not that good and seemed to get worse with later runs. The only difference between the 2 and the 3 was the colour scheme ..... the mouldings on the 4 seem to be a slight improvement on the 2 and 3 from a point of accuracy and the design of the drive etc is better ..... I've not seen any evidence that any of them are more robust than any of the others.

The port in my old home town local to me ships boatloads of scrap out to China, they pile big mountains of the stuff on the dockside .... every time I go past and look at the scrap piled up the first thing that comes into my mind are the Chinese 525s :)

No way. Early runs of the Mag2 were not that good and seemed to get worse with later runs. The only difference between the 2 and the 3 was the colour scheme ..... the mouldings on the 4 seem to be a slight improvement on the 2 and 3 from a point of accuracy and the design of the drive etc is better ..... I've not seen any evidence that any of them are more robust than any of the others.

The port in my old home town local to me ships boatloads of scrap out to China, they pile big mountains of the stuff on the dockside .... every time I go past and look at the scrap piled up the first thing that comes into my mind are the Chinese 525s :)
Made from premium quality chinesium👍

Flawed in what way?the reviews are good, including the one on tsf which Mike probably had some input into and it's safe to say he's pretty knowledgeable about such matters,if you took notice of every nay sayer you'd never buy a reel again😎
Well, I have owned three 515 mag4’s for 2 years , use them 2-3 times a week for anything from fishing for rays, smoothies, conger, sole, cod and anything that swims etc. always wash them off after every session and service them when needed.
Can’t say I have had any drama but maybe the difference is that I had to pay £130 each for mine instead of the sub £100 that they can be found for now 🤔

Well, I have owned three 515 mag4’s for 2 years , use them 2-3 times a week for anything from fishing for rays, smoothies, conger, sole, cod and anything that swims etc. always wash them off after every session and service them when needed.
Can’t say I have had any drama but maybe the difference is that I had to pay £130 each for mine instead of the sub £100 that they can be found for now 🤔
The 515s are like a different reel ... I wonder if they are made in a different factory because they suffer much less from the quality issues.

The 515s are like a different reel ... I wonder if they are made in a different factory because they suffer much less from the quality issues.
Yes, I think the 525's are made in Wuhan... 🤣

Ian.

Multis just like fixed spools have come along way over the years. Mag brakes make multis idiot proof nowadays.
Threads concerning multis it seems have to have the obligatory fixed spool user banging on about over runs an birds nest. The reel (multi) does not birds nest by itself. It is down to user error. So if you are that hamfisted and cannot control a multi? That's fine lol

And the fact that those that have to badmouth multis do not use them makes me chuckle.

If you feel the need to justify your choice of reel by talking down to multi users? at least keep it to fixed spool threads😁

Mark...

Back