• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Crackdown on overfishing and antisocial behaviour.

Timmy H

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Starting with Berry Head and Hopes Nose. I really hope this gets enforced hard. Last time I went to Berry Head with my youngest I was actually intimidated by "foreign" blokes almost forcibly pushing us away by crowding closer and closer. The litter was unbelievable, as was the amount of mackerel discarded on the way back to the car park. I know that bad 'uns can come from any section of society but the majority of the problem does seem to be non Celtic or Anglo Saxon.
Lets see if the crackdown is just rhetoric or will it actually happen?

I now drive 450 miles one way to go fishing. Too many instances of such behaviour and it spoils the experience for me. I do occasionally still venture to the south coast, but try to avoid the main areas. Breaks my heart to see the carnage left in their wake. It’s the taking of undersized bass that makes me angry.

It’s good to see but unless they have the police down there regularly to turf out the Eastern Europeans and whatever else is there now, can’t see much changing.

Not been there for years. It was a bit chavvy down there with tents etc even without the foreigners, but wouldn’t go near it now, shithole

Its getting like it here in Gosport, driving along the road along Stokes Bay a week or so ago, early evening, must have been about a dozen or so blokes tinsel tossing, drinking cans of bear, fecking throwing the empties everywhere, pulled up a bit further along the road, you could here they were Eastern European, its the same along the Haslar sea wall, during the summer months, walk along behind them, and they have anything and everything on the deck by them, fecking arseholes. Sorry, but this country is becoming the dustbin of Europe. :mad:

Ian.

It was like that on Hope's Nose 20 years ago.
Buckets full of mackeral dumped because they'd been dead for six hours and left in the hot sun to turn to stink.
Nothing changes.
Yep. More homegrown chavs when I used to fish it but you’re right, it’s been a shithole for a long time.

Shame, nice little mark and can chuck up all sorts, but got very scabby so I stopped going.
Didn’t see or have any trouble, but the litter and tents down there were getting bad then, plus the tinsel tossers don’t have a clue - it’s like fishing in the middle of the special needs Sunday bus outing. In fact, that’s probably an insult to people with special needs 🙄
Tbh I didn’t know so many marks then and it made a change but wouldn’t bother now.

The problem I’ve always found with Torbay is there’s not actually many marks worth fishing.
Hopes Nose and Berry Head, the breakwater, few beaches in between you never hear of much from.
For a fair stretch of coast it’s pretty poor on the available marks front.

It’s good to see but unless they have the police down there regularly to turf out the Eastern Europeans and whatever else is there now, can’t see much changing.

Not been there for years. It was a bit chavvy down there with tents etc even without the foreigners, but wouldn’t go near it now, shithole
Gunuine question, but what are the police going to do?

Warn them about litter!

Catching undersize!

It's not other different Nationalities, it has been going on for years by British anglers on shore and on boats.

Warn them about litter!

Catching undersize!

It's not other different Nationalities, it has been going on for years by British anglers on shore and on boats.
Down there it’ll be council enforcement officers, they’ve done it before.
But they will need police with them because the foreigners kick off.

Although yes, British chavs have managed to mess it up for years before the foreign influx, the Hopes Nose situation in particular is in large part down to Eastern Europeans.

It’s the same on chisel altho from wot I can see it’s 50/50 split Asians and Eastern Europe camp sites already up at west bex even tho big sign saying no camping 🤷🏻‍♂️only saveing grace there is you can walk to get away from the crowds you don’t have that option at those marks

Warn them about litter!

Catching undersize!

Down at Dungeness last year, I started chatting with the warden as he was picking up litter from the shingle. He saw how light I was travelling with my usual lure setup and mentioned how much human waste he came across. I asked him what could be done, he replied that he’d visited every angler the evening before and told them not to crap on the reserve, but they still did.

I’m afraid there’s nothing that can be done about it, other than preventing access to the area, which for the vast majority would be unfair.

I’d much prefer the powers that be simply take photographic evidence via cctv and prosecute offenders. Highly impractical in such places, but it’s an issue with living on an already overcrowded island.

Hopes Nose and Berry Head, the breakwater, few beaches in between you never hear of much from.
For a fair stretch of coast it’s pretty poor on the available marks front.
Much the same here Tony - some guy was asking about catching Cod last year from Mountbatten - not heard of any Cod being caught from there for years. He'd come from Torbay on a motor scooter as a mate had told him he could catch Cod there!
John & Me have been down there loads of times, but it gets rammed, and we've seen a few Eastern Europeans down there babbling away in their own tongue, but to be fair, they weren't doing anything wrong that I saw on that occasion.
Apart from Mountbatten, there are a couple of fairly good marks here, but the council have made parking anywhere nearby either very expensive or impossible.

As for Hope's Nose & Berry Head, it's been going on for years. I thought about a trip down there when I first joined the Dark side, but no way after what I had read.

I can't see anything changing. Wally's idea of CCTV would be a good idea, as at least the authorities could monitor things. Anyway, with there often being groups of a dozen or more Eastern Europeans & Orientals down there hauling in Dustbins full of undersize fish, any Security Guard or Ploice guy would be putting themselves at risk of harm going down there alone, so the only way would be a mob handed approach, which will never happen. £100 fine is a joke too.

It’s the same on chisel altho from wot I can see it’s 50/50 split Asians and Eastern Europe camp sites already up at west bex even tho big sign saying no camping 🤷🏻‍♂️only saveing grace there is you can walk to get away from the crowds you don’t have that option at those marks
Let’s hope they crack down on them again this year.

Traditionally’ Hopes Nose was EE but might well have other flavours now!

Much the same here Tony - some guy was asking about catching Cod last year from Mountbatten - not heard of any Cod being caught from there for years. He'd come from Torbay on a motor scooter as a mate had told him he could catch Cod there!
John & Me have been down there loads of times, but it gets rammed, and we've seen a few Eastern Europeans down there babbling away in their own tongue, but to be fair, they weren't doing anything wrong that I saw on that occasion.
Apart from Mountbatten, there are a couple of fairly good marks here, but the council have made parking anywhere nearby either very expensive or impossible.

As for Hope's Nose & Berry Head, it's been going on for years. I thought about a trip down there when I first joined the Dark side, but no way after what I had read.

I can't see anything changing. Wally's idea of CCTV would be a good idea, as at least the authorities could monitor things. Anyway, with there often being groups of a dozen or more Eastern Europeans & Orientals down there hauling in Dustbins full of undersize fish, any Security Guard or Ploice guy would be putting themselves at risk of harm going down there alone, so the only way would be a mob handed approach, which will never happen. £100 fine is a joke too.
Yes I had the same impression of Plymouth having a lack of marks Dave but I don’t really know that coast.

This Hopes Nose measure isn’t new, they brought it in a few years ago.
I believe they did go down there mob handed on a few occasions and clear it out but it wasn’t sustained.

Usually it's a minority who spoil it for the majority but I firmly believe that with sea angling it is the other way around.

Even in the unspoiled surroundings of the Norwegian fjords I have to litter pick behind leaving anglers, the majority of whom are British. Well, I don't know that for sure, but the branded VMO , GOM and GAC packaging is a bit of a giveaway.

I have been a beach angler for 50 years now, and i have never left any rubbish on the beach, there are generally bins provided, or i will take it home. No angler should leave crap/rubbish on any beach as far as i am concerned.

Ian.

Its getting like it here in Gosport, driving along the road along Stokes Bay a week or so ago, early evening, must have been about a dozen or so blokes tinsel tossing, drinking cans of bear, fecking throwing the empties everywhere, pulled up a bit further along the road, you could here they were Eastern European, its the same along the Haslar sea wall, during the summer months, walk along behind them, and they have anything and everything on the deck by them, fecking arseholes. Sorry, but this country is becoming the dustbin of Europe. :mad:

Ian.
Well said totally agree with you saying this country is the dustbin of europe

Starting with Berry Head and Hopes Nose. I really hope this gets enforced hard. Last time I went to Berry Head with my youngest I was actually intimidated by "foreign" blokes almost forcibly pushing us away by crowding closer and closer. The litter was unbelievable, as was the amount of mackerel discarded on the way back to the car park. I know that bad 'uns can come from any section of society but the majority of the problem does seem to be non Celtic or Anglo Saxon.
Lets see if the crackdown is just rhetoric or will it actually happen?
the fella that spends his time cleaning at berry head does a great job. he posted photos of the way the foreign blokes leave the place, disgusting amount of rubbish and excriment. the crowding you out ploy they use is being used at mount batten. after warning them about crowding me out i took off my lure and cast over them all. hey ho. plain bloody ignorant

Why do they always fish in bloody big groups. Safety in numbers i assume. :mad:

Ian.

Back