• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently carping

Went down on the 28th for 2 nights at a bigger lake about 75 80 acres . Despite its size there is plenty in there to go at even with depths over 50foot .
Car 20 yards from a nice secluded swim at the back of the wind which was puffing up white horses waves on the other bank .
Had 11 carp to 15lbs on boilies, all lovely condition fish , at about 80yards fishing a shelf of 20 25foot amongst 40 foot surroundings which stinks of egg and don't catch if you land in it.
Also fished a feeder rod and had around 30 bream , a handful of rudd and a tench on.
Didn't take many pictures this time was bleak weather mostly .

20231229_214407.jpg20231229_091819.jpg20231229_184919.jpg

Went down on the 28th for 2 nights at a bigger lake about 75 80 acres . Despite its size there is plenty in there to go at even with depths over 50foot .
Car 20 yards from a nice secluded swim at the back of the wind which was puffing up white horses waves on the other bank .
Had 11 carp to 15lbs on boilies, all lovely condition fish , at about 80yards fishing a shelf of 20 25foot amongst 40 foot surroundings which stinks of egg and don't catch if you land in it.
Also fished a feeder rod and had around 30 bream , a handful of rudd and a tench on.
Didn't take many pictures this time was bleak weather mostly .

View attachment 56918View attachment 56919View attachment 56920
Great fishing well done 👍 my middle son been on the bank for 5 days 5nights still not had a touch, bloody hard lake this time of year 🤣

Great fishing well done 👍 my middle son been on the bank for 5 days 5nights still not had a touch, bloody hard lake this time of year 🤣
Yeah I can imagine , have been doing a harder lake aswell, in my last report the 25lbs mirror was after 2 x 48 hour blanks in the floods and damp . So chose the comfort of this lake with car behind me and the fact you can catch well into winter because of the depth.
All the bloody memberships I've got is silly really I don't use them enough but keep spending out each April 🤣

Last night I managed to get the rods out at the old estate lake, once again I was the only one there, it was a cold and frosty one, but the hot water bottle at the bottom of the sleeping bag did the trick. IMG_9178.jpegI chose to fish each near margin with the rods placed under overhanging trees in about 5-6ft of water, this end, in common with most estate lakes, was deepest up against the dam, the 3rd rod was placed out in the middle with a scattering of baits and a 7 bait stringer. It was nice nice simple fishing, just place the bait with an underarm flick under each marginal tree, chuck a handful of bait over it then climb in the pit and relax with a brew. As soon as it got dark, the takes started, IMG_9131.jpegIMG_9138.jpegIMG_9157.jpegIMG_9158.jpegmainly low doubles and high singles, but good sport for -3c, i also had a surprise capture that I didn’t expect to catch in an estate lake…IMG_9160.jpega barbel! This beat my previous PB barbel of a respectable 6oz… 🙄 turns out the owner popped a few in as a change for the anglers.

Final take of the session came just on dawn on a marginal rod I chose to fish as a single bottom bait off the baited patch (I’d done this with all 3 rods just to slow the frequency of takes as I needed some kip!) this was a one toner, the sound of a screaming neville one toning is a sound I’ll never tire of, and got me scrambling out of bed again. Every other take (except the barbel which also ripped off) was a stuttery flurry of bleeps affair where most didn’t even pull out of the clip. I didn’t think this fish was up to much, letting me lead it straight to the net where it obligingly swam straight in, but it was the biggest of the session at an ounce over 20lb, so another productive session in the freezing cold. IMG_9175.jpegAll photos were taken using self take equipment linked to my mobile via Bluetooth, for the first time which took a bit of getting used to, but better than racing against the iPhone 10sec timer!

Rigs were as ever, helicopter set ups, with rig morale braided tubing, 3.3/4oz leads and slip d rigs tied with 30lb korda n-trap soft and size 7 esp cryogen curve barbless hooks. I’ve recently started using barbless patterns as the rules dictate, but wasn’t confident in using barbless, but I’ve had over 20+ takes with a 100% landing rate, so I’m pretty happy with using them now.

Nice report Ouchy, and some great photos there. 🎣🎣👍👍

Last night was another short notice overnighter on the old estate lake I’ve been targeting this winter, probably only have one trip left before I renew the club book and get back on the park lake. Weather was mild with overcast skies and showers. IMG_9493.jpegThe frogs were active in the margins, always a good sign that winter is behind us. IMG_9474.jpegI set up the 3 rods fishing helicopter rigs with 15lb coated braid hooklinks, 2oz leads and size 6 ESP Clawhammer barbless hooks fished slip D style. Tubing was initially rigmorale braided tubing, but I replaced this with nash unleaded leader after the rigmorale tubing got damaged on one rod and needed replacing - my ocd won’t allow one rod to be rigged differently, so all 3 were re rigged! (I had no other rigmorale tubing)

I flicked left and right rods under their respective marginal bushes with a scattering of boilies and the middle rod under armed a rod length out over a scattering of bait. First run rattled off a whole 90secs later! A low double was the result. The night was pretty hectic with 14 carp, 2 bream and 2 lost fish, one to a cut off hooklink and another after I bullied a lil one to the net and it spat the hook. Was being bothered by single figured carp so I rebaited with snowman rigs which made the baits too big for the little scamps, this resulted in a few doubles finishing up with a 20lb ghostie and a 22lb common. IMG_9480.jpegIMG_9488.jpegFew doubles IMG_9449.jpegIMG_9455.jpegI wrapped it up at about 9am and headed off home, damp, smelly and looking forward to targeting the harder waters come spring

Nice report & photos Ouchy! That Ghost Carp is a beauty. 🎣🎣👍👍

I miss the pond I had at my Cottage - I put a couple of Ghost Carp in there, but the biggest one was only half the size of yours!

Just got back from the last session of the season on the estate lake, won’t be returning until next winter now, my boy joined me for an overnighter so he could try out his new brolly. (Fox easy brolly - really like it, might have to get one myself!)

We arrived at lunch time yesterday to be greeted by warm spring sunshine, 15c temps and little wind. Down to T shirts! The carp were cruising all over the shop, so I let the boy take the lead and we set off for a walk around the lake. The dam end (car park end) was black with carp so the boy marched off to the other end of the lake to have a look around, we reached the narrows with an island where it was looking pretty lifeless, my boy stopped, looked about, umm’d and ahh’d for a bit while eying up a double swim. He looked at me and then marched back to the car park swim where the carp were sunning themselves. Swim choice made, he set about getting his stall set. His brolly was up in about 90secs and his buzz bars pushed in, rods cast out and he was plonked on his bed chair about 10mins after arriving…

It took me slightly longer… 🙄 (1hr!) The n fact my sons first fish hit the bank before my first rod went in! He landed his first fish from the lake at a nice 20lb on the dot. bddad7b8-a729-4e21-bae1-7fbca536ab98.jpegHe swiftly followed that up with a pretty little mirror IMG_9605.jpegI eventually got my rods out, little cork ball pop ups on hinged stiff rigs IMG_9609.jpegI soon got a bite for myself, a low double ae13bac5-5b43-4c64-b8ae-a5c6e1a4aead.jpegnight was soon upon us and my boy managed another small carp, but as I didn’t get out of bed, he did the pics himself. I was dragged from my pit to land a 21lb common that wiped all my rods out IMG_9615.jpegI caught 4 more through the night but of no size. The lack of sleep and the wiped out rods prompted a change IMG_9622.jpegmy boy finished the trip with a nice leather of 18lb at dawn. IMG_9621.jpegWith no more bites forthcoming and Easter eggs to eat, we wrapped up at 11am and drifted back through the country lanes back home. Roll on June 16th and pastures new, but the bass are calling now… so many species so little time!

Fabulous report Ouchy, and great pictures. Your lad did well - that 20Lb Carp looks more than that. 🎣🎣👍👍

Had a nice trip to the big lake including this 28lbs mirror last week. Really good condition . With a couple small commons to, lots of fish in here with space to go missing or don't come out for years/ever, so always interesting with 80 acres and mullet and bass swimming around to , as I saw this trip along with kingfishers and all the rest . Mandarin ducks.

20240410_165133.jpg20240410_154534_exported_51042.jpg20240413_063318.jpg20240413_063629.jpg

Back