• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently carping

Yeah water level is down a fair bit, where the rods are set up, I’d expect to be submerged. They aren’t as low as other places though, we’ve been lucky in that respect.

I spod 0% of the time! Lol! The method has to suit the lake and conditions and spodding on my waters usually means the kiss of death.
What are your most used methods mate?

I rarely spod either unless its to put out particles , which I hardly ever do due to attracting too many bream instead....
Or to avoid the seagulls on some lakes that will eat any boilie put out with a stick or catapult as it hits the surface.
Some lakes it can really work, but as ouchy says also lots of lakes where the fish will spook from the sound of one.

I rarely spod either unless its to put out particles , which I hardly ever do due to attracting too many bream instead....
Or to avoid the seagulls on some lakes that will eat any boilie put out with a stick or catapult as it hits the surface.
Some lakes it can really work, but as ouchy says also lots of lakes where the fish will spook from the sound of one.
So what would you typical session involve where baiting up is concerned?

So what would you typical session involve where baiting up is concerned?
You could write articles and books about that question and people have haha . ? so many variables with water temperature stock density and 'nuisance' fish eating the bait.
To keep it simple though I always remember the saying 'you can put more in but you can't take it back out ' as overbaiting can lead to a blank more often than underbaiting in my opinion , and has been proved on many UK and French waters in my carping.

But as you asked a typical session I'll say what I typically do.
I tend to fish quite boring/ simply compared to others and catch rate keeps up with anyone at the lakes in general.

Usually on a bigger lake with 3 rods I'll fish 1 or 2 rods as 'traps' this being either single baits or pva with some freebies or simply put out around 10 boilies right around the hookbait accurate as possible.

Call this fishing 1 bite at a time and on most tougher waters this can be the way to go.

With at least 1 rod fishing light like that I'd typically have another rod or 2 rods over more of a bed of bait , if there's room in the swim to separate the spots enough from one another.
...heavier baiting for me is anything from a scattering of 50 60 boilies all the way upto an accurate spodded zone of 10 or more spombs...
If these rods start producing then a bigger hit could more likely be had because as j Richards said fish begin competing....After each fish top it back up with bait again.

To be honest for me though at lower stocked places I find 80% of the time the one bite tactics work best and I just can't get a spodded area to keep producing before the fish wise up and spook off.

Quality frozen boilie , tiger nuts , possibly pellet and corn at times and that's all I use mate.
Some people love pop ups personally I catch vast majority on bottom baits ...only using chod rigs and pop ups etc when need to present in heavy weed.

My top tip though for what it's worth is check hookpoints for sharpness ...its most important thing on self hooking rigs. Change it if not 100%

Yeah water level is down a fair bit, where the rods are set up, I’d expect to be submerged. They aren’t as low as other places though, we’ve been lucky in that respect.

I spod 0% of the time! Lol! The method has to suit the lake and conditions and spodding on my waters usually means the kiss of death.

Interesting how people fish so differently. Lol. I would spomb at every venue, if someone told me spombing would kill it, i would be all over it. Spomb the granny out of it and wait. 3 rods on a baited spot.

Went through 95kg of particle and boilie in a week…..
Easily done when they're having it.
When I fished for carp, baiting heavily was my go to tactic. Prebait with 3 - 5 kg of boilie on a Wednesday with a bucket of gear and same again for the weekend. Would regularly do 300 - 400 kg of boilie a season, sometimes more. The close season I'd do 100kg plus prebaiting and I certainly got my rewards, go big or go home I say.

Poor ollies going to be confused now haha .
Heavy baiting can be effective especially in places where natural food is low.
Some lakes with snails every few cm the size of boilies , or where carp have switched to fry feeding then piles of bait can sit there for weeks uneaten ....iv witnessed this from a boat and clear bottomed bucket.

All part of the fun the differences in venues and variables.
Must admit, I've never fished a lake where the carp wouldn't eat a boilie. Even on low stocked venues, you keep putting bait on a spot regularly and once they are on it you can get them feeding like clock work. Bit harder to do on a pressured lake especially when the carp are some of the countries most sort after. Then sometimes on other lakes the anglers would leave you be though. Depends where you're fishing and who's fishing it I guess.

All part of the fun the differences in venues and variables.

Way i look at it….. carp are like babies. Eat, shit, sleep and eat some more. In the right spot, good quality bait the carp will come and eat it. They cannot help it. (Like a fat kid in a cake shop) i always put 20-25 spombs straight in, then top up 6-10 after every fish or 2-3 an hour. Never have i found a lake which the carp do not move onto bait. Even if naturals are present, there are ways round it.
Fished many day ticket lakes and syndicates and always chuck the bait it.
Last time out was on a big res, days only, went through 10kg of boilie, had 4 fish, 2x20’s and 2x30’s. People said small baits in PVA bags are the winner.
Best advice i can give….. do things differently to how most are fishing. ????

Must admit, I've never fished a lake where the carp wouldn't eat a boilie. Even on low stocked venues, you keep putting bait on a spot regularly and once they are on it you can get them feeding like clock work. Bit harder to do on a pressured lake especially when the carp are some of the countries most sort after. Then sometimes on other lakes the anglers would leave you be though. Depends where you're fishing and who's fishing it I guess.

Way i look at it….. carp are like babies. Eat, shit, sleep and eat some more. In the right spot, good quality bait the carp will come and eat it. They cannot help it. (Like a fat kid in a cake shop) i always put 20-25 spombs straight in, then top up 6-10 after every fish or 2-3 an hour. Never have i found a lake which the carp do not move onto bait. Even if naturals are present, there are ways round it.
Fished many day ticket lakes and syndicates and always chuck the bait it.
Last time out was on a big res, days only, went through 10kg of boilie, had 4 fish, 2x20’s and 2x30’s. People said small baits in PVA bags are the winner.
Best advice i can give….. do things differently to how most are fishing. ????
Being tight not wanting to throw 50 quid of freebies in probably comes into the way I fish to haha ?
For ollieollies original question though I'm guessing he's not doing a campaign but just looking for a few bites on accessible waters.

Back