• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently carping

Has this thread become the official tsf carp thread?
After my attempt yesterday I plan on a few more go’s in the next few weeks, I’ll post my results on here and any questions I find need answering…. Like…..

Do I really need a spod thingy?? I was just using feeders and pva bags yesterday
Very much depends on the water. Chances are if you spod on the water i look after you may aswell go home cus they dont like it one bit unless your there for 3 days then fill it in with spod then dont touch it. Throwing stick is a better option sometimes. Alot of waters with alot of fish in spodding is like ringing the dinner bell. There is no one answer to the question, spend time looking at the water and get a feel for whats happening then go from there.

Being tight not wanting to throw 50 quid of freebies in probably comes into the way I fish to haha ?
For ollieollies original question though I'm guessing he's not doing a campaign but just looking for a few bites on accessible waters.
The cost certainly adds up that's for sure. I had no missus or kids, lived at home with my parents at the time so all my earnings were mine and It was what I lived and worked for. All holidays were spent on whichever lake I was on at the time, xmas, new year, I missed mates weddings incase the fish I was after came out etc. Luckily my mates still talk to me ?. It was my obsession. I've not fished for carp since lockdown and that was only because I wasn't willing to travel to the coast (90 min drive for me) and I can't see me doing it anytime soon. I'm loving the sea fishing now, the lakes I fished ended up full of w**nkers who wanted to be famous and it finished it for me.

The cost certainly adds up that's for sure. I had no missus or kids, lived at home with my parents at the time so all my earnings were mine and It was what I lived and worked for. All holidays were spent on whichever lake I was on at the time, xmas, new year, I missed mates weddings incase the fish I was after came out etc. Luckily my mates still talk to me ?. It was my obsession. I've not fished for carp since lockdown and that was only because I wasn't willing to travel to the coast (90 min drive for me) and I can't see me doing it anytime soon. I'm loving the sea fishing now, the lakes I fished ended up full of w**nkers who wanted to be famous and it finished it for me.

Agree about the wankers mate, get way more twats on a lake than on the beach.

Yeah mate been there in a similar way ...totally obsessed done 160 nights one year ? ...something a lot of sea anglers wouldn't understand....and a lot of carpers move into sea for the total difference in style of fishing.

and I just go on big lakes so any wankers are at least a distance away lol

Vitalin is a decent cheap bait. Can add any liquid flavouring and bait to it as well. 25kg for £10 last i bought it

Turned up yesterday afternoon at big water . Was a few fishing so went up the other way from the pressure.. Had 2 within the first few hours and iv had nothing since, still here for another night now .
1 fish over a handful of freebies close in to margins...and the other over a few spods about 40 yards out into 20foot of water...goes to 70 foot in places in here !!
Lot of rain coming apparently. But I'm cosy .
21 common and 22 mirror .

20220923_105806.jpg20220922_182831.jpg20220922_134213.jpg20220922_125758_exported_43598.jpg

Turned up yesterday afternoon at big water . Was a few fishing so went up the other way from the pressure.. Had 2 within the first few hours and iv had nothing since, still here for another night now .
1 fish over a handful of freebies close in to margins...and the other over a few spods about 40 yards out into 20foot of water...goes to 70 foot in places in here !!
Lot of rain coming apparently. But I'm cosy .
21 common and 22 mirror .

View attachment 33020View attachment 33021View attachment 33022View attachment 33023
Well done nice fishing (y)

Cheers , had 2 small commons of about 8 and 12lbs earlier within an hour of each other, between about 2 and 3pm and a bream just now .

A6960F5B-D3E9-4AA8-97F8-DB298C856BD9.jpegTook the 9ft rods for a walk today, no sign of any carp, but was visited by a family of swans. 5E96C1F8-21EF-434A-88DD-55DD8CCA3011.jpegFirst time I’ve fished this water, it’s days only and it wasn’t until I packed up and had an explore that I realised that this is one arm of a water that’s about 100 acres! My ticket only allows me to fish this area. When I drove out, cursing the fool in the tackle shop that told me it was a “runs water” I realised that in my haste, I’d not realised that the first part of the lake that you pass when driving on is actually not one sheet of water, but 2 separate lakes… the one I drove past being the “runs water”

I spent all day fishing the wrong lake… ?

View attachment 33117Took the 9ft rods for a walk today, no sign of any carp, but was visited by a family of swans. View attachment 33118First time I’ve fished this water, it’s days only and it wasn’t until I packed up and had an explore that I realised that this is one arm of a water that’s about 100 acres! My ticket only allows me to fish this area. When I drove out, cursing the fool in the tackle shop that told me it was a “runs water” I realised that in my haste, I’d not realised that the first part of the lake that you pass when driving on is actually not one sheet of water, but 2 separate lakes… the one I drove past being the “runs water”

It happens but at least you know for next time and you were out fishing ?

View attachment 33117Took the 9ft rods for a walk today, no sign of any carp, but was visited by a family of swans. View attachment 33118First time I’ve fished this water, it’s days only and it wasn’t until I packed up and had an explore that I realised that this is one arm of a water that’s about 100 acres! My ticket only allows me to fish this area. When I drove out, cursing the fool in the tackle shop that told me it was a “runs water” I realised that in my haste, I’d not realised that the first part of the lake that you pass when driving on is actually not one sheet of water, but 2 separate lakes… the one I drove past being the “runs water”

They say you learn something even after a blank and you have so it's all good, ?.

Sorry if I sound a bit dim, but I have been freshwater fishing since I was 8 years old, I am now a month of 70 yrs old.

I have never ever had the slightest interest in pond pigs (or Carp for that matter) but have spent the entire time fishing stillwaters for Tench or Pike or Rivers for Barbel, Chub, Dace, Roach, Grayling or anything else that comes along, obviously there have been the odd bycatch of carp, some quite large but they never held my interest . I have also no interest ever in camping out for weeks chasing one elusive big fish, life is too short for that . I love my sea fishing , boat, and beach.

Now the big question .

What is a “Runs” water .

Is it a new species ?

Dave

Runs water is an easy lake where you can catch many fish in a day.

Sounds like a stock pond ???.

Personally I prefer a bit of a challenge… a runs water is probably like catching fish in a barrel, with not much skill involved , and maybe even fish that are conditioned to react to the sound of a spod ( had to look that up ) splashing and depositing foreign bodies called, er, Boilies , or maybe Pellets ? that would never appear anwhere without first being invented and sold at stupidly high prices to people who like catching conditioned fish .
Even Spam is an alien concept to fish, or would be if people did not buy it and chuck it in for the fish to eat.

I know that many people will probably disagree with me when I say that camping out to catch over stocked , overgrown fish in ponds is for people who dont know any different.

And on that note I will bow out as I may be getting into deep water ( not a runs water though )

?

Dave .

Back