• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently carping

I'm down here after a long walk ...only me and a friend on the 18 acre lake low stock with lots of bream and tench . There is a 10 acre next door and only 2 on that aswell so not pressured tonight...

Seen a beaver ? herons a hobby and others so far . No fish yet . Cows on the other side so chose this bank haha.

20221003_175019.jpg20221003_163639.jpg

I'm down here after a long walk ...only me and a friend on the 18 acre lake low stock with lots of bream and tench . There is a 10 acre next door and only 2 on that aswell so not pressured tonight...

Seen a beaver ? herons a hobby and others so far . No fish yet . Cows on the other side so chose this bank haha.

View attachment 33722View attachment 33723
Looks a nice venue good luck (y)

Forgot to add the 2nd night I had a tench no carp seen or heard .
Probably only about 20 or 30 of them in 18 acres we estimate so not going to be crawling up the rods. .
That's what keeps it quiet down there though so I don't mind . Was only 2 of us on there .
Heres a couple from a couple of years ago on there I'll add though. Left alone quality fish. Long 'wild' type dark commons and couple mirrors .

Screenshot_20200828-100418~2.jpg
Screenshot_20200830-095701~2.jpg20221009_081014.jpg

Forgot to add the 2nd night I had a tench no carp seen or heard .
Probably only about 20 or 30 of them in 18 acres we estimate so not going to be crawling up the rods. .
That's what keeps it quiet down there though so I don't mind . Was only 2 of us on there .
Heres a couple from a couple of years ago on there I'll add though. Left alone quality fish. Long 'wild' type dark commons and couple mirrors .

View attachment 33883
View attachment 33884View attachment 33881
Look at the paddle on that common, wonderful fish, nice fully scaled. Just like the fish where i look after. (y) (y)

I had wanted to get a pair of small reels to go with my 9ft carp rods, I didn’t want to break the bank though! I found a set of Okuma Barbarian in 040 size in my local tackle shop for £29.99 each, they come with 2 spools, aluminium and graphite and double handles, they had a baitrunner facility too so I took a punt and brought a pair.
913F949F-BAC2-4027-8654-18D5D30A3568.jpegThey had their first outing this morning. Initial impressions are favourable, they feel well balanced with a smooth retrieve, the baitrunner is slick with lots of adjustment. They balance the 9ft rods perfectly, the 8000 sized shimano baitrunner reels I had on previously made them feel unbalanced, these are much lighter and well suited. FFB12E19-32EF-4CD8-8EC8-9D80593AE1AD.jpegOn the rods they look pretty smart too. It was a damp and soggy blank morning this morning, did 0600-1030 without a touch. 74EB5CD6-458B-47FC-9216-A57A11DE0E36.jpegHeavens proper opened too!

I had wanted to get a pair of small reels to go with my 9ft carp rods, I didn’t want to break the bank though! I found a set of Okuma Barbarian in 040 size in my local tackle shop for £29.99 each, they come with 2 spools, aluminium and graphite and double handles, they had a baitrunner facility too so I took a punt and brought a pair.
View attachment 34431They had their first outing this morning. Initial impressions are favourable, they feel well balanced with a smooth retrieve, the baitrunner is slick with lots of adjustment. They balance the 9ft rods perfectly, the 8000 sized shimano baitrunner reels I had on previously made them feel unbalanced, these are much lighter and well suited. View attachment 34432On the rods they look pretty smart too. It was a damp and soggy blank morning this morning, did 0600-1030 without a touch. View attachment 34433Heavens proper opened too!
A lot of the Okuma gear is quite good. I've got an older Okuma baitrunner, and it's been great. ??

I follow a USA guy on Youtube who is on the Okuma development team, and it's a shame we don't seem to get half of the gear over here that he does reviews on.

Went Friday night had a blank for carp on the low stock lake , 1 bream . Lovely and quiet though only 2 of us on .

20221021_080906.jpg

20221019_160011.jpg
2nd photo is the far end almost unfishable because of whole fallen trees everywhere under water ... guess a lot of the fish spend a lot of time down here . Would just get snagged up if tried to fish it .
Have leaded around and spun for pike here so not overreacting the amount of snags haha would rather not leave a fish trailing line than risk fishing it .

Went Friday night had a blank for carp on the low stock lake , 1 bream . Lovely and quiet though only 2 of us on .

View attachment 34463

View attachment 34464
2nd photo is the far end almost unfishable because of whole fallen trees everywhere under water ... guess a lot of the fish spend a lot of time down here . Would just get snagged up if tried to fish it .
Have leaded around and spun for pike here so not overreacting the amount of snags haha would rather not leave a fish trailing line than risk fishing it .
What are rules on the lake? Can you boat out and clear snags etc?

View attachment 34431They had their first outing this morning. Initial impressions are favourable, they feel well balanced with a smooth retrieve, the baitrunner is slick with lots of adjustment. They balance the 9ft rods perfectly, the 8000 sized shimano baitrunner reels I had on previously made them feel unbalanced, these are much lighter and well suited. View attachment 34432On the rods they look pretty smart too. It was a damp and soggy blank morning this morning, did 0600-1030 without a touch. View attachment 34433Heavens proper opened too!
Good luck with the Okuma reels. They seem super smooth and sharp when first purchased but my experience with them is that the gears just don't last once you start putting any sort of strain on them. I stick to Shimano now.

Back