• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Daiwa 7HT Millionaire Mag ST

Totally agree on the magnofuge system Chesilpete?Out of interest how did you finally kill your htsts? ie what broke? I've had handle sideplate boss issues but no other breakages, so far!
I've never actually handled the sts versions, but own 5 blues, are they worth all that extra dosh in your opinion? Is it not just carbon bits and a pretty spool? Or are the 'guts' noticeably better?

Omoto have a Facebook page that interestingly complains about 'piracy' ie fake/cloned reels of the abu style round baitcasters. So even the bootleggers get bootlegged ? To be fair they do make some decent kit
Omoto and okuma both make reels for every and anyone to there spec's but make fairly good reels in there own rights like the Trio Rex's tough as F.
Okuma has base Factory making more premium bits and others in China etc making anything else but even that's slipping mind many are moving out of China.
Best side plates are the ?over brass don't flex like the alloy ones which allows spindle to bend which apart from spool wobbling which impacts cast it allows spool to rub on frame hence the mm3's stink of burning when casting hard

Great to see that Rovex 10X is available again, received two bulk spools of it today, love the stuff, 19lb 0.35 Red going on the ST's today, after i fit the pinion supports. Happy days.

Ian.
If you said wanted have spools of it here i don't use Rovex ive Viz to load for next refresh

Hey Ian, they are the best multis and thats why they cost the money, everything else is just pretty shite in comparison when it comes down to small baitcasters. So a couple of things..... initially only flush the bearings, take them out, flush them, dry them then flush them again and dry them. You only need 2 tiny drops of oil, one drop each side, then pop them back in the reels.
Take them down the beach and set the mag to 7 this should be pretty docile, you should end up on 4 if you are a smooth caster.
Cross winds go to 5, wind behind 2.5.
I have tried all the lines that are out there...... and I have a favourite which is now out of production. (Colmic Onde Mille in .31)

So what you have there is the most controllable and adjustable small casting multi ever made IMO.
There are several ways of setting them up you can underfill them with .35 ish line and thrash away on them all day or basically fill them up with anything and you will find a way to make it work. This is because they are so controllable.

But this is what I would do.
I would fill them to the absolute brim with a low diameter quality mono at around .31 and add a 100lb (4 strand) braid shockleader.

The way the ST Mag system works is that it has to have enough revolutions to get the magnofuge working, this means it WILL NOT cast short unless you basically thumb the spool the whole cast from release but if you give it a reasonable smack then the Magnofuge can engage and do its thing.
So fill it up to the top and smack it and you will see exactly what you spent the cash on......... if you get an overrun on a mag setting of 5 then its simply because you are not casting hard enough.
Over the years I have bought a lot of 7ht sts (I have about 10) the 2nd hand ones I buy I am always told by the seller "they are a bit too quick for me" the fact is "you are a bit too slow for the reel".

Long term ownership............
So I finally killed one of mine about 2 weeks ago but I have been smashing it for a decade so I reckon thats fine.
I liberally cover them in ACF50 everytime I use them after washing them and I have a dirty old cloth covered in ACF50 in a zip tie bag which I use to polish off the reels after a quick rinse.
The main problems you will get with a ST are:
1) Never use the spool end cap as a way of braking the reel. It will cause you problems straight away and you will break the plastic rod inside the handle end as it takes the extra pressure if you do it up. This plastic rod is a sacrificial part and is there to stop you breaking the reel. BUT DONT DO IT. There should be about just enough end play on the spool so you can detect movement nothing more is required.
2) Always lube your screws when you put it back together.
3) Do not make the simplest mistake......... when removing the spool bearings you have to take a tapered pin out, now my eyes are a bit shite and the pin is tapered. Do not try and push that pin through the wrong way they are hard to get out once you have forced them. I have coloured the fat end with a black pen and marked the spindle.
4) Mysterious loss of distance.......... you have over lubed the bearings one drop per side!.
5) I have a piece of silicon tube that I put over the "bolts" you need to undo to take the handle side side plate off, any metal on paint just removes the paint.
6) If you have been on the beach in heavy rain or heavy spray conditions you will find water sitting inside the reel, do not add water to remove water displace it with ACF50 and kitchen towel.
7) The reel comes with a pouch, and its shite. So are the neoprene ones they trap water. Mine live in reel cases with the zips lose so they can breath, they are individually wrapped in either clean microfibre bags or in kitchen towel, the idea is that you are wicking water away from the reel the second they come off the rod.

So its the best performance reel no doubt.......... if you dont look after them they are notorious for corrosion.
Never any end cap and always give them a damn good thrashing to get the mag to work.

The full strip down is easy......... if you PM me when your ready I will send you some step by step pics. I like blue marine grease.
Hi Pete, thanks for the great read and advice on the ST's mate, appreciate it. (y)

Ian.

Totally agree on the magnofuge system Chesilpete?Out of interest how did you finally kill your htsts? ie what broke? I've had handle sideplate boss issues but no other breakages, so far!
I've never actually handled the sts versions, but own 5 blues, are they worth all that extra dosh in your opinion? Is it not just carbon bits and a pretty spool? Or are the 'guts' noticeably better?
So..... I jumped straight from ABUs and black 7HTS to the STS although I have owned a few blue 7HTs so I make no apologies if I get anything incorrect.
So I always found the Blue Mags a bit of a nuisance I never liked the handles and just felt that they were a black 7HT with a magnofuge on.

The ST has always felt more rigid to me, I like the quicker retrieve and I find it easier to crank.
In general I the reel is more convincing, I think there are more stainless steel parts than on a blue mag and this makes the drive seem more direct.
I dont think theres much daylight between them when it comes to casting.
The finish on the st seems more robust, the blue ones seem to blister on the paint in no time.
I have had a blue one click into gear on casting and never on an ST unless my sleeve has caught the handle when i turn which has happened.
In summary its all the little things that make it a better reel.
Financially I think its worth the extra to buy an ST.
The one that is dead has just worn out and the handle is now loose and wonky. I bought it 2nd hand a decade ago and I am good with having the spares.
In general I like the simplicity of using the 7ht range you have to look after them but you can drag one out your bag and you won't have any issues.
The downside of course is that they offer limited power and to cover most eventualities you will need a pair of more powerful reels.
I use a pair of fathom 12s when its nasty or weedy unless range is everything and then I take the chance and beat a pair of STs up but you need to set the drag sensibly but they dont like big lumps of weed in a big sea.
The big advantage of the STs is the control and the range you can easily get out them set them up and blast away the magnofuge will sort most things out. When it doubt no matter how big the bait or the cross wind set it on 6 and hit it as hard as you can generally you will get away with it.

I love mine and I see no compelling alternatives at this time.

So..... I jumped straight from ABUs and black 7HTS to the STS although I have owned a few blue 7HTs so I make no apologies if I get anything incorrect.
So I always found the Blue Mags a bit of a nuisance I never liked the handles and just felt that they were a black 7HT with a magnofuge on.

The ST has always felt more rigid to me, I like the quicker retrieve and I find it easier to crank.
In general I the reel is more convincing, I think there are more stainless steel parts than on a blue mag and this makes the drive seem more direct.
I dont think theres much daylight between them when it comes to casting.
The finish on the st seems more robust, the blue ones seem to blister on the paint in no time.
I have had a blue one click into gear on casting and never on an ST unless my sleeve has caught the handle when i turn which has happened.
In summary its all the little things that make it a better reel.
Financially I think its worth the extra to buy an ST.
The one that is dead has just worn out and the handle is now loose and wonky. I bought it 2nd hand a decade ago and I am good with having the spares.
In general I like the simplicity of using the 7ht range you have to look after them but you can drag one out your bag and you won't have any issues.
The downside of course is that they offer limited power and to cover most eventualities you will need a pair of more powerful reels.
I use a pair of fathom 12s when its nasty or weedy unless range is everything and then I take the chance and beat a pair of STs up but you need to set the drag sensibly but they dont like big lumps of weed in a big sea.
The big advantage of the STs is the control and the range you can easily get out them set them up and blast away the magnofuge will sort most things out. When it doubt no matter how big the bait or the cross wind set it on 6 and hit it as hard as you can generally you will get away with it.

I love mine and I see no compelling alternatives at this time.
No interest in Multipliers for shore fishing at all Pete - each to their own, but some great info in your posts for those that do use 'em. ??

48 years ago, when i started fishing i cut my teeth on a Mitchell 600AP, never used a Fixed Spool reel in my life, if you could master the Mitchell, a no frills Multiplier, no braking system, you just needed an educated thumb, they were lovely reels to use. I then moved on to the Daiwa 6HM's, cut the level winds out, and used the conversion kits that were bought out. The 6HM's were superb reels. So todays Multipliers are so easy to use, they cast themselves to honest. I have Multiplier reels from all the stables, but still prefer the Daiwa ones to any of them. (y)

Ian.

48 years ago, when i started fishing i cut my teeth on a Mitchell 600AP, never used a Fixed Spool reel in my life, if you could master the Mitchell, a no frills Multiplier, no braking system, you just needed an educated thumb, they were lovely reels to use. I then moved on to the Daiwa 6HM's, cut the level winds out, and used the conversion kits that were bought out. The 6HM's were superb reels. So todays Multipliers are so easy to use, they cast themselves to honest. I have Multiplier reels from all the stables, but still prefer the Daiwa ones to any of them. (y)

Ian.
Like you I love a daiwa.... the saltists are also excellent reels. I have 2 saltist 18s here the ones with the blue bands and need to get them magged.
The BG20s are great for 6oz work but dont fish as long as the fathom 12s which are robust enough to do the same job.
I always like to have the option of extra range, as I get older and lose my ability to generate tip speed I find the easist thing is to use the STs at least then I can get it out there if the fish are long.

Ian.
I have some old Abu's from the 60's, 70's 5000/5500c 6000 6500's multies. Service them every year and all working fine. Currently using TFGear force 8 656's which work for me and the fish are not that fussy. I am not paying mega money for a reel/rods (2x TFGear 11'6" 2-5oz) as have better things to spend my money on.

Last edited:
I have some old Abu's from the 60's, 70's 5000/5500c 6000 6500's multies. Service them every year and all working fine. Currently using TFGear force 8 656's which work for me and the fish are not that fussy. I am not paying mega money for a reel/rods (TFGear 11'6" 2-5oz) as have better things to spend my money on.
Makes complete sense to me. The gear does not catch the fish everyone should use whatever they like to give them the best enjoyment of this sport.
Its all personal choice, no need to spend mega money to go fishing I agree.
This thread however was about Ian buying some STs how best to use them and getting the most out of them, I also have quite a few reels from back in the day and in certain applications want a ratchet for example which in not on a ST.
The ABUs were mega money back in the day 80 quid in the 80s was a lot of my weekly paycheck but I still bought them because they were the best at the time.
Anyway I dont think for a second gear catches fish....... but I do like new gear when things evolve positively and I also like to have a play with everything if I can.

I always had to make do with the cheaper end of the market to be honest, and there is nothing wrong with that, and as Pete has said, the fish don't know what gear your using, but now i am in a position to have the best, will it catch more fish, no, but it makes me feel good. ;)

Ian.

Hey Ian, they are the best multis and thats why they cost the money, everything else is just pretty shite in comparison when it comes down to small baitcasters. So a couple of things..... initially only flush the bearings, take them out, flush them, dry them then flush them again and dry them. You only need 2 tiny drops of oil, one drop each side, then pop them back in the reels.
Take them down the beach and set the mag to 7 this should be pretty docile, you should end up on 4 if you are a smooth caster.
Cross winds go to 5, wind behind 2.5.
I have tried all the lines that are out there...... and I have a favourite which is now out of production. (Colmic Onde Mille in .31)

So what you have there is the most controllable and adjustable small casting multi ever made IMO.
There are several ways of setting them up you can underfill them with .35 ish line and thrash away on them all day or basically fill them up with anything and you will find a way to make it work. This is because they are so controllable.

But this is what I would do.
I would fill them to the absolute brim with a low diameter quality mono at around .31 and add a 100lb (4 strand) braid shockleader.

The way the ST Mag system works is that it has to have enough revolutions to get the magnofuge working, this means it WILL NOT cast short unless you basically thumb the spool the whole cast from release but if you give it a reasonable smack then the Magnofuge can engage and do its thing.
So fill it up to the top and smack it and you will see exactly what you spent the cash on......... if you get an overrun on a mag setting of 5 then its simply because you are not casting hard enough.
Over the years I have bought a lot of 7ht sts (I have about 10) the 2nd hand ones I buy I am always told by the seller "they are a bit too quick for me" the fact is "you are a bit too slow for the reel".

Long term ownership............
So I finally killed one of mine about 2 weeks ago but I have been smashing it for a decade so I reckon thats fine.
I liberally cover them in ACF50 everytime I use them after washing them and I have a dirty old cloth covered in ACF50 in a zip tie bag which I use to polish off the reels after a quick rinse.
The main problems you will get with a ST are:
1) Never use the spool end cap as a way of braking the reel. It will cause you problems straight away and you will break the plastic rod inside the handle end as it takes the extra pressure if you do it up. This plastic rod is a sacrificial part and is there to stop you breaking the reel. BUT DONT DO IT. There should be about just enough end play on the spool so you can detect movement nothing more is required.
2) Always lube your screws when you put it back together.
3) Do not make the simplest mistake......... when removing the spool bearings you have to take a tapered pin out, now my eyes are a bit shite and the pin is tapered. Do not try and push that pin through the wrong way they are hard to get out once you have forced them. I have coloured the fat end with a black pen and marked the spindle.
4) Mysterious loss of distance.......... you have over lubed the bearings one drop per side!.
5) I have a piece of silicon tube that I put over the "bolts" you need to undo to take the handle side side plate off, any metal on paint just removes the paint.
6) If you have been on the beach in heavy rain or heavy spray conditions you will find water sitting inside the reel, do not add water to remove water displace it with ACF50 and kitchen towel.
7) The reel comes with a pouch, and its shite. So are the neoprene ones they trap water. Mine live in reel cases with the zips lose so they can breath, they are individually wrapped in either clean microfibre bags or in kitchen towel, the idea is that you are wicking water away from the reel the second they come off the rod.

So its the best performance reel no doubt.......... if you dont look after them they are notorious for corrosion.
Never any end cap and always give them a damn good thrashing to get the mag to work.

The full strip down is easy......... if you PM me when your ready I will send you some step by step pics. I like blue marine grease.
Only just seen this. Brilliant!

I wish I had something like this post inside the box when I had bought the reels!
Cheers Pete.

The ST's are superb reels, like Pete said, you have to give them a good smack to get the mags working like they should. Well worth the £400 in my opinion, so much so i have just bought a third one, so i can rotate the use of the three. (y)

Ian.

Last edited:
Well i must have more money than sense, but have just ordered another ST, i absolutely love the reels.
Could be some mint Akios shuttle 666 STR Kuro's going in the for sale section.

Ian.

Well i must have more money than sense, but have just ordered another ST, i absolutely love the reels.
Could be some mint Akios shuttle 666 STR Kuro's going in the for sale section.

Ian.
Mate do the join, put it in the basket and desert the basket at Uttings..... save yourself quids over the rip off merchants Veals.
Uttings 419.00 plus you can get a discount.....
Veals 469.00

Back