• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Price of bait

There's that many hounds, rats, dogs and ting here at times that it sometimes doesn't matter! Saying that there's a news warning about a oil pipe spil off Rhyl from a pipeline between the Conwy and Douglas platforms so it could all get even worse:mad:

EDIT - they're saying 500 barrels/79,000 litres

Last edited:
Geoff which Chinese super market do you get your bluey from mate.
Mike just back from walk, popped in Chinese place, no bluey in but he said it comes in now and then. I got squid, calamari and mussels all very good stuff and cheap. Can't see any fish getting any of my calamari though! He had some other frozen fish but I've never heard of them, looked them farmed vietnamese pond fish? Well worth a trip to stock up on any chinese foods though? Nice friendly bloke, I think I will be going more often and will give you a shout when he gets any bluey.
20220216_123719.jpg

Oh yes, they’re even better wrasse baits and the prawn will take almost anything on its day.
I just thought limpets was an easy bait for Pendy to collect if he wanted an alternative free wrasse bait, and it definitely works

Limpets are the way to go, is it possible to keep them alive once collected for a day or two?

I’d say so. Little bit of weed to cover, keep them cool outside and maybe a few mil of seawater would be my suggestion.
They do move, eventually, so a bucket with a lid (with holes) probably makes sense.
I’d change the seawater at least once a day if not twice.
Never tried to keep them but I think as long as they’re kept damp with fairly fresh water they should be fine.

It’s not the best wrasse bait ever but it definitely works.
Pretty much only works for wrasse though!
After chatting on here last year about Razors and Limpets, i did try limpets from the shore and never had a bite.

Also collected a few prior to setting up and kept them in plastic bag and some stuck to each other. I would not use a bucket or anything like that to keep them live or they will end up same as stuck fast on a rock.

After chatting on here last year about Razors and Limpets, i did try limpets from the shore and never had a bite.

Also collected a few prior to setting up and kept them in plastic bag and some stuck to each other. I would not use a bucket or anything like that to keep them live or they will end up same as stuck fast on a rock.
They’re only really good for wrasse, generally.

It doesn’t take that much to unstick them, just shove a knife between them and the surface if it’s a flat surface.
Ideally do it quick before they have time to tighten up, but you can still prise them up fairly easily if not.
Or a quick sideways whack with a stone does the same thing.

But really you want them sticking because that way they’ll seal themselves up and stay moist, as they would naturally on drying out rocks. They won’t last too long if they’re allowed to dry out.

Limpets (and not slipper limpets) wouldn’t be my go to bait by any means but they WILL catch wrasse if ragworm is unavailable or too expensive.
As Tat said, live prawns are probably top of the tree and live hardbacks are very good for the bigger ones, but both need a bit of time and effort to collect although if you’ve got a crabby harbour or estuary, it doesn’t take long to get plenty of hardbacks in a prawn trap.

Mike just back from walk, popped in Chinese place, no bluey in but he said it comes in now and then. I got squid, calamari and mussels all very good stuff and cheap. Can't see any fish getting any of my calamari though! He had some other frozen fish but I've never heard of them, looked them farmed vietnamese pond fish? Well worth a trip to stock up on any chinese foods though? Nice friendly bloke, I think I will be going more often and will give you a shout when he gets any bluey.
View attachment 22884
Thanks mate .

View attachment 22884
How cheap was the calamari H?

I bought a box of calamari for £10 and had a free pack from other shop, never caught anything with it.

Yet tipped on a feather on charter boat was deadly for dogs and huss!

I refuse to pay decent money on bait for small fish what I can't eat.
It does eeem a bit daft spending money on bait to catch fish which you could probably buy from the fish shop cheaper.
Back in the day I would reluctantly buy a box of squid, otherwise it was mussels and dug blow lug.

Well said flappy, when I was a kid it was lug we dug ourselves or if there was 2 or 3 of us going,we would club together a buy a mackerel from the local fishmongers,

There's that many hounds, rats, dogs and ting here at times that it sometimes doesn't matter! Saying that there's a news warning about a oil pipe spil off Rhyl from a pipeline between the Conwy and Douglas platforms so it could all get even worse:mad:

EDIT - they're saying 500 barrels/79,000 litres
some oil /tar blobs turning up at Blackpool today

Back