• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Split ring pliers?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Does anyone use them and if you do what make/model would you recommend?
Never needed them before but finding the wee spli rings on the savage gear seekers quit savage so thinking of buying a pair.

Never needed them before but finding the wee spli rings on the savage gear seekers quit savage so thinking of buying a pair.
I just use the end of my knife blade to open the split ring. Works for me ;)

I've broke quite a few nails wrestling with those split rings Thrash, so invested in a pair about 2 years ago from good ol' eBay! Seller still has them on offer. Top quality, Stainless steel, £7.99 now, free delivery. I think they were about £1 cheaper when I bought mine.

I use the Daiwa mini split ring pliers and find them very useful. I noticed that they have a larger model (Prorex) that has more features and I would consider them if I needed to buy another pair.

Haven't used lures so much but any split rings were sorted with a knife blade.Doubt I could manage that these days with the state of my hands.

I should point out that my KK pliers are used for much more than just opening split rings! Crushing/lumping barbs, side cutters used on braid and mono, shears for lighter 7strand wire, and of course primarily the main jaws for unhooking fish. I'll occasionally need to change hooks on lures during a long day, particularly lighter gauge trebles on smaller lures with their correspondingly tiny split rings. I certainly wouldn't like to have to rely on a blade for opening split rings when bouncing around in the boat in the middle of frantic bass action?

Last edited:
Haven't used lures so much but any split rings were sorted with a knife blade.Doubt I could manage that these days with the state of my hands.
I would be using a knife blade with cold hands and my rubbish hand to eye coordination. After a few broken nails and close calls it’s split ring pliers every time.

I change all my trebles for single hooks. For me it just makes lure fishing more enjoyable.
Anyway, I don’t find the task of changing the hooks easy……always seem to need a third hand!
Ive got a pair of split ring pliers, I’ve tried a knife blade, but have found the easiest thing is my thumb nail to open the split ring. Trouble is my nail always splits and I’ve never managed more than two hooks at a time before I have to pack up and wait for a split to grow out!

I use singles on metals and subsurface plugs but find topwaters need at least a belly treble or the hookup rate plummets. I find it best to open up the split ring enough to get the existing hook in then offer up the new hook and use that to push the pair round in steps as you alternatively grip then move the split ring with the pliers in the opposite direction, spinning the split ring until the old hook comes off and the new hook 'clicks' in place ?

I use singles on metals and subsurface plugs but find topwaters need at least a belly treble or the hookup rate plummets. I find it best to open up the split ring enough to get the existing hook in then offer up the new hook and use that to push the pair round in steps as you alternatively grip then move the split ring with the pliers in the opposite direction, spinning the split ring until the old hook comes off and the new hook 'clicks' in place ?
That’s sort of how I do it. The first time I swapped the hooks I took the existing treble off first……I’ve only done that once!
Had a horrible time unhooking bass that were caught by all three hooks on a treble and maybe another one in the gill plate in the early days and decided that I would rather catch and damage less fish. As long as they are attacking my popper I don’t mind if I don’t get 100% hook up…..I’m easily entertained!

Just dropped on these.Do not look bad for the price.Free postage.Spotted them first in Sea Angler.rrp £5.99 so £6.99 not too bad unless you can pick them up local without the cost of travel.Also quite a few cheaper versions on the Bay that appear to do the same job.

Last edited:
I’ve had both over the years. The ones above (and similar models) sound good, but I‘ve never changed a split-ring whilst out fishing. Ever. And the clippers round my neck are all I need to cut line and braid.

The Halco design is much quicker and easier to use (google it and check out one of the many videos), they work on the smallest to the largest rings and they don’t stretch / bend them out of shape.

just my 2p

I’ve had both over the years. The ones above (and similar models) sound good, but I‘ve never changed a split-ring whilst out fishing. Ever. And the clippers round my neck are all I need to cut line and braid.

The Halco design is much quicker and easier to use (google it and check out one of the many videos), they work on the smallest to the largest rings and they don’t stretch / bend them out of shape.

just my 2p
I bow to your superior judgement mate.I have never used them so wouldn't know which is the better.I just came across the HTO whilst leafing through Sea Angler and thought of this thread and HTO being synominous with lure fishing.Halco appear to be on the dearer side but that is of no consequence as I wouldn't be buying either.

Last edited:
Back